Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-12-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
I use spray wax every time out of the lake, but hear a bunch about a 50/50 mix of vinegar. Does this just take the spots off or does it leave a shine?
Do you use it when you trailer it home and your spots are dried on, or right when you pull it out of the water?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
gets rid of water spots but it also strips wax. I used it for a long time then switched to hot sauce.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-12-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
I use the Vinegar mixture only for removing stubborn waterspots. Be sure to follow up with mild soap and H2O and then rewax as the vinegar strips the wax.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-12-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
Vinegar is a mild acid. Water spots are calcium and other dissolved minerals in the water. The acid in the vinegar eats the minerals so them come off easily. Think like a really mild CLR. You can use it at any time but it gives no shine.
Old     (do420jc)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-12-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
1/3 vinegar, 1/3 water, 1/3 babes everytime. Perfect.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-12-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
8:1 vinegar to Turtle Wax Zip Wax.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
Seems weird that vinegar and wax would work well together.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-12-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
Karl, last time I tried to mix Turtle Zip Wax and vinegar, I couldn't get the wax and vinegar to mix properly. It was like the wax coagulated.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-12-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
I don't think that vinegar strips wax. I mix vinegar, water, and soap in my spray bottle, it’s cheap and it works.

Mixing wax and water or vinegar doesn't make any sense, they won't ever mix.
Old     (spencer3840)      Join Date: May 2005       09-12-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
I love Hot sauce but I Have a black boat and if its hot enough even Hot sauce won't take off the water spots, I've never tried vinegar but I think I might give it a try.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
Water, vinegar & Turtle Wax. Still not completely sure of the mix yet, but something like 25% vinegar, 25% wax & 50% water.
Got it from a WW member & have been using it for a couple of months with good results.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on September 13, 2009)
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-14-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
30% vinegar 70% water at the ramp side clean up. It leaves the hull and windows perfectly clean. I have not found it to take off wax.
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-14-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Deez,

Wax your boat with a quality wax and a buffer. Use Babe's when you pull the boat out. You won't have any problems with water spots. The key is the wax!
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
If you're on the water all day, and have some spray on your boat, you'll still get some spots, especially if you have a dark colored boat. I normally just use Wax as You Dry on my boat, everytime we pull out, but if I have stubborn spots, I'll use my 50/50 mix of vinegar and distilled water on areas that have bad spots. Once the spots are gone, follow it up with the Wax as you Dry on a damp rag and it's slippery again!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-14-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
If you have a really strong vinegar, you dilute a bit. I have used up to 40% Zip Wax in vinegar.

The acid will repel the wax a bit. You need to shake it up frequently. The main point is to have a bit of soap and wax to cut through the scum and crud that all water seems to leave behind.
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this one yet. I was a vinegar & water user, but began to get concerned about wax stripping. Saw a few threads about the "Driven" product, and I bought some. LOVE IT! Recommended to friends and now they like it too. It's economical since it comes in a concentrate). Great for spots and leaves surface very glassy smooth (far superior to V/W mixes).
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-15-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
I use hot sauce and love it -black boat.
Grew up using 50:50 W:V and noticed it does take a little shine off the wax (definitely not a full wax strip), but always works great.
One thing I have been wanting to try is Zip Wax w/vinegar -I don't see how this can work without a full boat wash after you use it, The Zip Wax needs to be washed off with water after application....