Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-17-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
I winterized my 2008 Supra 22v boat about a month ago with the following process. First added fuel stabilizer and ran the boat to 165 degress. Shut the engine down and hooked up 5 gallons of antifreeze to the quick flush adapter in the boat. Ran boat again until all the antifreeze was gone. Unhooked the water heater line frome the manifold and blew all the water through the system. I used the green antifreeze and used of 50/50 solution with water. It was difficult to see if this was coming out of the exaust or not.

I went back down to the lake this past weekend and decided for piece of mind to drain the engine block. I pulled two drain plugs that also were hooked up to the nock sensors. In addition, I unhooked a quick connection that went to the manifolds. Plenty of fluid came out of the engine drain plugs but nothing came out of the manifolds.

Should I have any concerns at this point?

Heath
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-17-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
you are fine. The link between the manifolds is also where your dripless packing gets it's lubrication. More than likely any fluid or antifreeze that was in the manifolds drained out at your prop shaft. Just remember to remove your impeller and disconnect the "j" jose also.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-17-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Why remove the impellor?
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-17-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
heater core?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
"Should I have any concerns at this point?"

Yes, poisoning of your family and pets, fish and other marine life, and an EPA fine, which you deserve, of hopefully 100K

Thanks for polluting the lake and ground water with the Ethylene based green antifreeze. Next time, leave it to a professional that will use the proper Marine/RV antifreeze.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-17-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
the impeller can dry rot if not removed and lubed with vaseline.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
^^^ Petroleum jelly, as in Vaseline, will do far more damage to the rubber impeller then sitting in the housing over the winter. Need to use 100% silicone lube, also called Dielectric grease as a petroleum based lube will deteriorate and soften/swell a rubber that is not intended for it. Dielectric grease can be found in the tune-up or brake isle at most any local auto parts store.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-17-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
I'm sure a silicone lube will work just fine but I'll stick to what my indmar manual says.

Upload
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-17-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
PLEASE don't use automobile antifreeze. Those products are not safe for our water ways. Use only a Marine/RV antifreeze like this:

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/rvmarine.htm
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-17-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Tige Mike,

Let me clarify that the product was purchased at my local marine facility and I believe was environmentally safe. It was just green instead of pink and could be dilutted versus the pink not being capable. It was not the an automotive antifreeze product.

Heath
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-17-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Guys, I'm pretty sure he wanted to know if he had properly WINTERIZED his boat...

Is this TalkPETA.com or wakeworld???
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Heath,

I hope so, but it sounds like what they sold you was a low-silicate antifreeze/coolant used in many marine closed-cooling systems. This would be the first green RV/Marine antifreeze I've ever seen, fluids are not colored by accident. Many are advertised as 'Environmentally Friendly' but it does not mean it's safe to dump into the lake.

Nacho,
Sorry you dont agree, but using the wrong product is not winterizing properly, and should be pointed out $.02
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-17-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
No worries. Pry just a Monday. Just seems like this site used to be about riding and helping each other figure out stuff like this. Not EPA anti-freeze or rubber-eating petroleum jelly. good info, nonetheless.

Heath,
if you're manifolds are empty, they're empty! No worries there. But, If you have a ballast system, I'd get some antifreeze into the pumps and bags.

Stay sane folks, several long months ahead of us.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-17-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
Bump start the motor for a few seconds. I always get a little more water out of the mufflers..... which you don't want to freeze either.

And disconnect your batteries (or disable if you have a switch installed).

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on November 17, 2008)
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-17-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
There is a bluegreen non toxic anti freeze.I think it has a lower burst temp like -100F.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-18-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
ethylene glycol vs propylene glycol (the pink stuff) are the differences in antifreeze you are referring to.