Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            06-20-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
We were doing a little wakeskating and left a 70 foot rope on the tower. So I jumped on a wakesurfer and had James pull me at 21mph and then turn HARD to to right so that I would be whipped out into the flats. Then I dropped the rope and easily zipped 150 yards :-) You can carve and it feels like a bottom turn off of an overhead wave - we were going so fast you could hear the fins sort of "buzz" from the speed. :-)

Upload
Upload
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-21-2006, 12:28 AM Reply   
Good to see that you are just a big kid Jeff and will never truly grow up!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Thats crazy I'll give it a shot...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-21-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
Jeff,

We line ride an old Thruster all the time. We run about 24 to 25 mph. I give a nice slalom like ride at a slower speed so I can enjoy carving a while longer.

These are pics of one of my crew riding the Thruster and the top and bottom of the board.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-21-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
UpNorth - LOL gotta love the wanting to try it BECAUSE it's crazy. :-)

Ed, when we got whipped around the corner I came off once and bounced across the surface at what SEEMED like slalom speeds. I think that a pintail, or a small diamond like you show, would be better than the square tail we used, for carving. I really enjoyed dropping the rope at the apex of the turn, the sensation was even more enjoyable than hanging on to a rope, huge turns and if you REALLY pushed it you could dig the rail in and almost do a 180. :-) Just another way to enjoy a wakesurfer.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
ok so who's gonna be the first on here to go wake 2 wake at 75' at 22mph on a wakesurf? :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-21-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
We've already done W2W 180 on the the Thruster, but that was years ago when we still had sandal bindings.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-21-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
That looks like a blast. I will have to give it a try.
Old    surfdad            06-29-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
We created a sort of "doubleup", so that we could hit the rollers. :-) James on the Calibrated Grom prototype.
Upload
Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-30-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
Next step will be tow-in behind jet-ski towards the wave and poking some insane aerials ;-)))
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       06-30-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
My vote- shoped.. That looks fantastic. Now i know what i am doing for the 4 day weekend. M.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       06-30-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
Hay Jeff,
I know you know I build a Stixx designed for "with the rope", The Original". I would probably hear from David if I posted pics...But you could Homey............Jerry
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-30-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Michale,
If you mean the photo was "shoped" I can assure you that it is real. I was there,but would not even attempt it. A kick for the young or insane.
Old    surfdad            06-30-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
Yeah it's real...I didn't say he landed any either of those. :-) Although he did land a few of them. :-) I'll have to see if we got a video, I'll post that on wakepics :-)

Jerry? Did I hear you say that I was going to win the next contest? :-)
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-30-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
My money IS on Walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    surfdad            06-30-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
LOL! I do have a video of James boosting about 2 foot of air over a roller, I don't have broadband at my new office, so I'll post it this evening. It's hard to keep him in the screen he's ripping so fast around the whip. :-)
Old    surfdad            06-30-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
As Jerry indicated above he has a pintail gun that is designed for "shredding" :-) The problem with a swallowtail or round or squash is that at this speed the board is unresponsive in turns. The pintail gives you that responsiveness. Pictures of someone riding Jerry's original shred stixx.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       06-30-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
Yes I know the photo is real. I have seen many pics of your son. Hence the smiley face. Like I said I know what I am going to "try" to do for the next 4 days.
Old    surfdad            06-30-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
Sorry for any misinterpretation. It really is a blast. We did this differently the last time, by creating the rollers. I pulled James in a straight line and slowed the boat down to about 12 mph, trying to create as BIG a wake as possible...then brought it back to 21 mph. When James was ready I whipped him around and heading straight into the rollers. :-) You have to give the roller shot a try Michale, that was sick!
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-30-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
I don't have a video of the Calibrated prototype, this is on an old plywood skimmer - no fin - so we pulled James at about 16 mph. :-) It's still fast.

http://www.wakepics.com/img/19429
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
Has any one else tried this yet?
Old    surffriend            07-13-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
I have. the whole fins humming as you are turning makes it even more sic.
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
Bill you should try the calibrated board next time its insane

(Message edited by surfkid on July 13, 2006)
Old    surffriend            07-13-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
I was going to ask about that was it loose or did the fin lock in like the other boards?
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
Bill I it was loose turning edge to edge but as you were going toward the rollers it locked into place and tracked pretty good. Although the life jackets dont track too well when you are skipping across the water on your back
Old    surffriend            07-13-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
no that kinda hurts(like hitting yourself in the head with the handel)
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
Thanx for bringing that up bill. I should start a thread on the dangers of handel to head contact.
Old    surffriend            07-13-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Can we get a video of you hitting yourself in the head, for the good of all other people of course? how fast did you go with the calibrated board?
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
I dont know about the video even if it is for the people it isnt gonna happen(sorry everyone you just had to be there) and I think my dad pulled me at 16.
Old    surffriend            07-13-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
you should have been going thirty wat were you thinking? i want to try that again it was fun.
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
next time you are out with us mid week we will
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-09-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
Have you tried putting a kink in before your turn, like a triple up? This may work out better for a bigger roller. Try going about 45* from straight to start with. The tighter the turn the steeper it will be. Also play around with how long you make the turn, this will change the length of the beefed up roller. I haven't tried this on a wakesurfer, but several times wakeskating and often wakeboarding. I would think you could get a decent size roller that wont be too steep for the wakesurf after playing around with it for a bit. If you need any more explanation on how to do it, let me know.