Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-25-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
Some friends and I were riding the delta yesterday, going east on railroad (south side). As we came to the bridge to do the turn around with a rider I crept around and nobody coming, cool.

As I am directly under the bridge I notice two fishing boats nosed into the wood on the northwest side of the bridge that would divert a boat from hitting the abuttments under there. It appeared they were tied up at the bow. I complete my turn and head back toward disco on the north side of the tracks. As I'm motoring along with my rider I see a boat coming up hot behind us, it's the sheriff. My friends wife in the back gives them a wave as they pass us on the right and they wave back, when they get up past us I wave and homeboy sheriff doesn't wave back and gives me the hate filled stare down out the window. They continue on and so do we.

1st question: Are the 2 fishing boats tied up to the bridge considered moored and do i need to slow to 5mph when passing them?
It would have caused me to drop my rider right under the bridge.

2nd question: If being overtaken (passed) by a boat should I be pulling to the right side of the slough to allow them to pass?
I was somewhat on the left side after my turn for no real reason and by the time I saw the po po he had already committed to going over my starboard wake so I figured I'd stay put.

I've asked a few buddy's and none of us seem to know the answer, all of which own boats and drive the delta frequently so thought I'd throw it up on here.

NOt trying to start an arrogant cop bashing thread here I come from a family of popos, but I definitly got the feeling that these guys were not super happy with me and the move I just pulled under the bridge. Maybe he was all waved out after waving at the girl in the boat....
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-25-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
If you are being overtaken you are the stand on vessel and are suppose to hold your coarse and speed unless you are forced to divert. In channels you are always suppose to stay on the starboard side and only cross at 90 dergree angles when safe.

I am not sure about the tied up boats though.

(Message edited by polarbill on September 25, 2009)

(Message edited by polarbill on September 25, 2009)
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-25-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
How close where you to the bridge? You have to be 200 feet away from everything.

No, you are pulling someone so you have the right of way.
Old    K.B.C.            09-25-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
"You have to be 200 feet away from everything."

Not at the Delta, it's not even possible...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Yea, I've read it's double your rope length. But thats tough in a lot of river situations.

On the Parker strip it's common for the driver to hold his hand up anytime you see a down skier, swimmer, etc. Then just blow on by.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-25-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
Couldn't find it listed in Ca. state laws but found a web site saying that most states have a law that restricts the speed under a bridge to 5 mph. What I can tell you is a friend of mine got a ticket for pulling a skier under the railroad bridge on RR slough 10 yrs ago. don't remember what the outcome was as he said he was going to fight it in court, but I don't remember him ever bragging about beating it
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
He might have just been moody, from my understanding you didn't break any laws. Holding course was the right thing to do but it is best to be on the starboard side of the water. The delta is one of the few place (maybe the only) I have ever been where they don't have 5mph posted on the bridges.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-25-2009, 7:15 PM Reply   
cool thanks, this experience was all the more reason to stay down in the south end on vics, I wanted a change in scenery but should have stuck with the tried and true....either way we had good water and a fun afternoon.
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       09-25-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
face planter,
Sorry but just because you are pulling a rider that does not give you the right of way. At least not here in Cali.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-25-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
riding under a bridge is not legal in texas
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
man that sheriff should have gone up to windmill cove, i am leaving the boat there all weekend and i had a F***ing jetskier come up and spray my whole boat while i was idleing in a 5 zone. It would have been a much better place for him to be then glaring you down. Scott i think you did the right thing you have the right of way anyways since you have a rider in tow. Hijack but scott wasnt it epic out there today the best riding is always after labor day
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-25-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
If a boat is tied, moored, or anchored it's a fixed object and not one the right of way rules apply to, because it can't move. You must yield the 'right of way' to people on your right. Anyone in the 120° from dead ahead towards the stern to starboard (right) is someone you must yield to if you are going to cross paths. Towing anything does not give you more rights than anyone else. Non powered vessels have the right of way over powered vessels in all circumstances. Commercial vessels have the right of way over everyone. (dumb to stop in front of a tanker anyway). Those are international regulations and are included in the USCG regulations.
I don't have a clue what other regulations might get added to those when you are in your local waterway.
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-25-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
The fact that you posted this question indicates that you know you should not have pulled that corner.

Bottom line is that you know that is a tricky corner, you were playing with your skier's life to even pull into it with them on the end of the rope.

I would agree that the fishermen were making a statement that it's their area.

Earlier poster is right, you can't get 200 ft from boats in the Delta.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-25-2009, 10:57 PM Reply   
Yes it is a sketchy corner, however out here the delta is ridden with sketchy corners. If taken with proper caution they can be navigated safely at wakeboarding speeds. I have pulled and been pulled around that corner many times as have many on this board safely. If I felt I was endangering the rider or our boat I wouldn't ride there. I posted the question wondering the legality of passing boats tied up to a fixed object, and where to be in a slough if somebody is setting up to pass you.

There are many spots on the dirty D that people frequently ride that are quite skinny. You put a boat in the slough fishing, floating and swimming, circling back to get a rider etc. and to give 200' of distance away would put you in the rocks or tules. It's common practice here to pass boats that are stopped, of course giving the upmost regard for safety of people in the water. We are just in a more unique situation here than a lake or bigger water on a large river (see my profile pic for an example of one of our wider riding sections)

The fishermen share the water with us here, it's not theirs any more than it's ours, not sure how tying up in a spot is making a statement on who can use a mile long slough that gets wakeboarded and skied daily...

Thanks for the insight everybody, I find it interesting about the 5mph rule under bridges elsewhere but not here, CA tends to be heavy on the laws....
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-26-2009, 1:45 AM Reply   
And don't drive at night with your docking lights on!

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-26-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Copy that!!

The other night we were driving from the dock on Pedro back out to the houseboat in the 5 zone, no moon and couldn't see shizz, not sure what is safer, crashing into a buoy, or briefly shining a light ahead to see where you are going...
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-26-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
So he waved at a member of your boat and then didn't wave at you? I think he might have been looking at something else or just sick of waving. I think you are looking into this too much like a woman. (I'm just joking around). Seriously though.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-26-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
yeah could be, if I messed up too bad I woulda gotten pulled over I'm sure, although my rider agreed with me that I got stared down and it was a little wierd. whateva...my wife's pregnant so maybe I am getting emotional like pregnant women do, kind of like gaining sympathy weight, I am gaining sympathy emotionality (is that even a word?) haha