Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-17-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
A few weeks ago, I rode behind my very first v-drive (a 2005 Centurion Avalanche C4) during a private lesson. Anyway, it was only running stock ballast all the way full and the wake blew my mind. I've only been behind MC d-drives (1999 205 and my really small 2005 X-5) before and had never experienced a v-drive. The wake behind this Avalanche was much bigger, harder, and steeper than any of the d-drives I'd been behind.

My question is how does this Avalanche wake compare to the other popular v-drive wake boats out there (2005 X-2/2006 X-1, X-Star, SAN, Wakesetter)? Was this considered a very respectable and "good" wake that I was riding on, or would something like a new X-Star or Wakesetter just blow my mind even more? I don't get to ride behind many other boats than my own d-drive obviously, so just wanted to know how that Avalanche wake measures up to the "big-3" wakeboard boats (X-star, SAN, Wakesetter).

Thanks in advance (not intended to start another boat/wake bashing thread).
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-17-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quite a few companies use the exact same hulls in their v-drive and DD models. It's a mtter of wher the weight is placed. The 205 DD is the same hull as the old xstar/later model x-2.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-17-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
Adam...thanks for the info. Didn't know that some of the newer v-drive models stemed from older d-drive models.

How is the Avalanche C4 wake comparable to a more popular and more talked about newer X-Star, Super Air, or Wakesetter VLX wake? Smaller, softer, as good, etc.?
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-17-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
The Avalanche I ride behind has a tiny stock ballast. However, even when so nearly unweighted, it's a pretty steep, firm wake. To me it's like a SAN in its steepness and boot. Think maybe the SAN's cleaner farther back, as the Avalanche tends to crumble at lower speeds and shorter lengths than what I'm used to. I'd assume that the Avalanche would have to be driven much faster if it were really weighted to keep the crumbles away.

Our Toyota v-drive, OTOH, is a much smoother launch, and it's easier for me to keep tension and balance on the way up my wake than either the SAN or Avalanche. I get similar height on either one, but feel more in control behind mine. Also have to work harder to get that height behind mine, but I'd rather edge and load under control than to just hit a wall and go flying.

Can't speak to any other boats.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-18-2005, 1:52 PM Reply   
The Avalanche and the SAN both have steep hard wakes. Malibu and MC have more ramp to them. Most who like the Malibu ramp do not like the steep hard wake of the Avalanche. It is all personal. We love our Avalanche and you do need to be going at least 18 or higher to get the wake clean. By far the best rough water ski boat IMO.
Old     (06centurion)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-18-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
i have pics of the new 06 centurion avalanche and wake, but when i go to post them it says the images are to large. how do i change that?
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-18-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
Usually when you open the picture you can go to tools and resize the picture.
Old     (walknbos)      Join Date: May 2005       11-18-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
Hello:

I have a 03 Avalanche C4 and ride with guys daily in the summer who own the following: Supra LSV, Mooba, and MC 03 XStar which I now beleive is the X1. Also rode behind Jerry Nunn's Malibu. All the wakes are just great but all a little different, the Centurion and Malibu are very similar, although the Malbu wake when I was ridin gwas huge with 14 riders/ pax and ballast. The MC is planing hull and makes a real nice wake with just its normal bags and two people, very steep and will really nice ramp put a 350 bags in long seat across the back and it get just cazy. I do find the MC the most trying to drive, its nose is high and it drifts more then the other boats, just a function of that hull. The Supra is the mellow of the boats very nice ramps but a wide flatter lip, good for lip tricks. I personnelly hate the mooba, the wake never seem to be the same no matter what we try when compared to the other, it comes up short. The Centurion is a pleasure to drive, although slower then say the MC and Supra kinda the Ford F150 of the crowd, it also had more storage then all of the others, but a very consistant when pulling, also it rides in rough water better than the others. I really just talking wake here, I think the quality of the MC and Malibu are cut up when looking at fit and finish items. I love my Centurion but some of the issues I have had just make me stratch my head, still working them with the company.....if no satisfation will post the whole story. Also Centurion is great for wakesurfing, the best of all above, use another 785 pounds and at least 5 PAX when surfing, but have done it with just a driver and spotter.

Bottom line, all these boats are great, I get no compliants from the people riding behind my Avalanche -- 377 hours in just 3 summers basicly May to Oct - Upstate NY- it 23 degrees and snowed 4 inches last night, so this boat is used almost daily in the summer! Let me know if you have any questions...........ok

Also, money wasn't the driving issue, I bought the Centurion on feature and after driving it, also I customed ordered with the exact colors and feature I wanted, all the other boats were as orded on the lot.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-18-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
paul send them to me and I'll re-size and post them for you.
Old     (06centurion)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-18-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
Ant i sent them to ur email
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-19-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
here you go Paul

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-19-2005, 3:02 PM Reply   
looks like the bennet trimtab is trime WAAAAY down