Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-25-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
As the weather warms up here in Wisconsin I'm debating on a new setup for 2011. Currently ride the Shane setup and love it, but ready for a change. I am moving to Florida in August and I want something I can ride on cable/sliders as well as behind the boat, and I am looking hard at the Phoenix with one boots. Anyone have any opinions on the board? I will be able to demo, just once the ice melts.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-25-2011, 3:21 PM Reply   
i think its ul like it man i switched to a flex board (2011 slingshot recoil) and love it but i almost got the phoenix
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-27-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
The Poenix is not a flex-board!

I don't understand where this mis-info started. Not from Ronix. It does have a different feel and presses very good for a non- flex-board, but you still have to lay into it.

I ride the Phoenix on cable and boat and really like it for both. Very consistent. It rides just like a stiff board off the wake, but is still fun on rails. The base and edges are tough too.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-27-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
Exactly, the Phoenix is no flex board. Thats what I really liked about it. I will probably be riding 70% boat, 30% slider so I want a board that is fun and stiff behind the boat, but can still be durable on sliders and will flex a bit. Thanks for the info!
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-27-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
ok ok since its not flex board then how did ruck literally bend the tip all the way to the middle standing on it???? seems pretty flexy to me guys
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-27-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
I love the whole "its not a flex-board its a stored energy board" mumbo jumbo.
Pretty much every company has been trying to avoid the word(s) since it was kinda coined with slingshot boards.

I think Company Wake said it best through Randall Harris that flex is more of a FEATURE.

undeniably FLEX is a feature on the Phoenix. it is obvious... and while i am at it i should say "SIGNIFICANT FLEX" as to steer from the other common comment that "All boards have flex"
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-27-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Obviously the board flexes but it definitely does not ride like your typical flexboard. This was the reasoning with why they decided to call it something else. Ride it and see for yourself.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-27-2011, 7:24 PM Reply   
Okay, I'm not basing my comment on a video. I have ridden the board for 3 months on many surfaces.

I'll make a comparison. I rode a covin 138 in 2008, a csv1 (2008) in 2009 and split time between a company severance and recruit in 2010. The Phoenix is not as stiff as the csv1, but stiffer than the old covin, but you will not be able to lazy-press a Phoenix like the company.

I love the board, but I don't want anyone to buy a Phoenix and be disappointed. If you want very versatile board, it is a great choice. To call it a flex-board is to sell it sort.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-28-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
I haven't held a Phoenix in my hand. If that board flexes with hand pressure the first time I hold it I will blacklist Ronix just as fast as I've blacklisted Liquid Force.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-28-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
If you dont want that much flex, than dont get a flex board? I have held the Phoenix and you cant flex it like you can a snowboard. Yes Im sure if you push hard and really try it might flex a little, but I dont see why you would "blacklist" them for their boards flexing?
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-28-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musgrove View Post
ok ok since its not flex board then how did ruck literally bend the tip all the way to the middle standing on it???? seems pretty flexy to me guys
You can make many boards "flex" by flipping them over and stand on them so they become flat. Last year at a our Ronix Demo, our sales rep did this to a few ronix boards to demonstrate their carbon X, One, Vivia, and Ibex I believe, to show how much stronger they were compared to others.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-28-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
it might be a long while before i get a chance to see the Phoenix P. in person, but i don't doubt that it is not your typical "flex" board as they say.
"flex (board)" may not be the best terminology, but it is what has stuck as a general term... for now.
its kinda like the attempts out there to change the name "wakeboarding" (correct term or not) because of winch and cables (no boat, no "wake")

Even the board guides in the magazines for 2011 lump it in the section "boards with flex."
Flex is and will be a thing comparable to the features of rocker. you got strictly continuous and strictly 3 stage and then endless types in between with various titles. Murray's board is a subtle 3 stage, but not a typical 3 stage as it has no actual flat spot, not a shorter flat spot like some "subtle 3 stages", but a very mellow arc in the middle. wake still needs work on rocker titles even.
I wish Ronix luck though. flex is still new and there is a need for different types of flex out there and if they help add another description to the flex category other than "hybrid flex" and the general "flex board" term then great. still lots to experiment with and it is needed.

Last edited by wakerider111; 03-28-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-28-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwake133 View Post
You can make many boards "flex" by flipping them over and stand on them so they become flat. Last year at a our Ronix Demo, our sales rep did this to a few ronix boards to demonstrate their carbon X, One, Vivia, and Ibex I believe, to show how much stronger they were compared to others.
Were they 2010 mo0dels, becasue the ronix 2010 boards were anything but stong
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-28-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
they were 2010 models, it was last year and I couldnt agree more that they were anything but strong. Hopefully they are better this year!