Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-06-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
I have a 2001 MC 209 (direct drive 20'9") that was purchased before I knew anything about ballast. The X-9 (X-version of my exact boat) has a stock ballast system that goes under the back seat, where I have installed the five Blue Tops that power my system.

Upload

Now that I am wakeboarding and wakesurfing more, I want to add additional ballast but I am not sure where. I know I can add fat sacks and lead and all that crap, but I would like to have an internal system installed. The only areas that are available to me are the ski locker, bow and the space behind my back seat (which is currently used for storage and is directly above the fuel tank).

I guess my question is: if I add ballast to the bow and ski locker, will it help or hurt my current wake? I am guessing my battery box is about 250-300lbs.

Do I need to add significantly more weight to the back of the boat to really crank up the wake? If so does this need to be done with fat-sacks, etc.

Just an FYI, I do not have any other locations for my batteries, they are too big to fit anywhere else in the boat.

From what I understand, this hull is known to throw a decent wake when weighted appropriately, it that accurate?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
Hey Jason, I used to go out with jude on his boat a lot before he got lost out in the boonies. So I know every nook and crany on those things.

The X-9 ballast system is pretty much a joke, the bag doesn't hold that much water, and the bow sack isn't really impressive either. These would definitly need to be much bigger to actually weight the boat. Take the cover off the ski locker sac and put a biger one in there that can overflow out of it, but still be held in place by the bottom section inside of it.

The batt box you have is about the same weight that sack probably held. I know in Jude-ys boat the rear storage was only about 10"'s deep(give or take a few) so it was only really good for storing ropes and bumpers.

Your best bet is to probably go with regualr fat sacks that lay next to the motor (placement varies, and someone that has your boat will probably have a better location) You can always put both sacks on one side in line, or stacked to get more weight for surfing.

My dinky boat has far less space than yours but the sacks are the only thing that actually makes a difference. Also sometimes filling them partialy full creates a better wake than totally full as it is harder to even out the boat sometimes. I would just grab some sacks and a pump, and keep them rolled up in your storage until you are gonna ride. Then break em out, and pump up. You could always make a system that the bags just plug into so you dont have to mess with the pump.

What an essay jeeze!!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
It would be seriously bad mojo if a sac burst in that boat. You might want to stick with lead in the back and sac in the floor.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
thats a hot install of batteries, imho. :-)
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-07-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
What size of fat sacks should I use to lay next to the motor?
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
I have some big ones for my boat, I think they are fat buddies, but for yours with the additional space, I would go with these-

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast/launch_pad_link_twins_06

Wakeside has a TON of sacks, just browse through and see what you think would work the best. Others have a lot more experience with sacs, but I like the ones with a seperate cover over the actual sac itself.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Luke said "I used to go out with jude on his boat a lot before he got lost out in the boonies"

Thats funny. Jude said he move out to the boonies to get away from your Hillbilly A$$, LOL

Jason: Go Va-der" Go Va-der"
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
Way to bust me out Grant!

Jeeze....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
Hey Jason, I'm not sure what the ballast is on your boat stock. Does it have the center sac? If not, I'd plumb in a center sac in the ski locker, then I'd add around 300lbs of lead in that rear ski locker and another 200lbs of lead under the bow seats. I think that should be a good place to start and move weight around accordingly.
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-07-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
I have the X-9 with the "Joke" stock ballast. We like it just fine. I would install a tube bag in the ski locker and another in the back storage locker. The batteries are heavy and serve the same purpose as lead. By the way the ballast is less a joke than the batteries.