Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (vdriverider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-23-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
I see a lot of people with their amp setup behind the passenger storage locker area. This is where I want to mount my amps as well. I am planning to use a 1/0 amp kit but before I get started I was just wondering how people are powering their amps...size and length of power cables, relocated battery, are there any problems that may occur with doing so. I have heard that you want to keep your ground cable short due to noise interference but how is that possible when the motor is way in the back yet the amps are up front? There isn't anything to ground to or is this not really an issue.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-23-2008, 10:10 PM Reply   
Les don't get a kit designed for a car, you need an equally sized ground cable in a boat. Your comment about noise is also a car issue. I like to use the pre-tinned marine cable available from GenuineDealz on e-bay. They also have the lugs. Don't forget to use good distribution blocks. For a single amp 1/0 is overkill.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-23-2008, 11:12 PM Reply   
You ground directly to the battery negative terminal when working in a boat
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-23-2008, 11:32 PM Reply   
how many amps are you powering and how long is the distance from the battery to the amps ?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Overpriced and Over sized Cables and Distrbution blocks have always worked well for me.
Upload
Upload
J/K I have never regret doing anything overkill. My only regrets have been doing it twice.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-24-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Big Les,

To help you better, what are the make and model are the amps you are wanting to install? It would help to know, because different amps require different size power wire. Where is your battery currently located? Do you have a budget for what you want to spend? What all do you already have purchased for this install, if anything?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
You can run 0-Agw wire to a distrbution block in the Aera your amp's will be located and from there you can step down your wire size depending on the Amp's
The reason I sugguest this is. Somtimes pulling a 0 agw power and ground wire to a location is cheeper than having to run several runs of 2 Agw. To me it's like the foundation of your house build it strong. Run a larger gauge than you think you will need and in the event your system grow's or you add a 2nd or 4th amp you don't have to pull more wires your foundation is already there.Just my 2c
Old     (vdriverider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-24-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
Yea I got the 1/0 Kicker amp kit for a killer price online and just picked up some 1/0 cable from a welding shop to use as my ground. The kicker kit came with 2 distribution blocks going from 1/0 to well hopefully a 2 guage can come out of it cause that's what I would like to use. The amps are a kicker 850.4 that is going to power 6 6x9 in a liquid trends box, a kenwood 8402 to power my 4 6 1/2 in the cabin, and a alpine mrp-f350 for a single 12 which I am not sure where to place yet but under the dash seems best for my aplication, so 3 amps total. I know I wish I could run all of the same amps but my budget(wife) only allowed me to make one purchase at a time. It's a work in progress so the kenwood and alpine may go for sale after this season to match everything up for next. Sounds like I should be okay with my setup this is on a sanger 215 so the batteries are in the back and I will just run my power and ground cables directly from the batt. From everyones responses this seems okay. thanks for all the input and grant awesome setup!
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
I like this Street Wire box. But, it is pricy!

Power and ground in the same unit.

Upload
Upload
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
is that your EQ?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-24-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
This streetwires distribution block is the best distribution block I have been able to find. Unfortunately it is discontinued. I prefer the screw down fuses this eliminates all connections that rely on spring tension to carry the heavy current loads. The block shown in Larry and Grant's systems rely on spring tension.

Upload
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-25-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
I would like to add that having the fuses near the amps is like pulling the condom out of your wallet after the fact.

Circuit protection needs to be close to the battery, not the load that is 15' away.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
Big Les I have the same boat and a 3 amp set up as well. I run 2 4 gauge off my stereo battery bank to a fuse block and 2 4 gauge and 1 8 gauge off of it. I have a 4 gauge ground going to a distribution block and the same 2 and 1 set up.

The best place for the sub is going to be in the foot well. Just remove the false wall install the sub the screw the false wall to the back of the box. It's very clean and stealth by the time you put the seat base and seat back in thieves would have their work cut out for them to steal it. I also have a sub in the passenger compartment which is an pretty good option too but definitely a secondary one.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-27-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
After much thought, I went against the norm and put my amps in the footwell and sub in the passenger compartment. My two main reasons were not wanting to pound my dash and guages to death and not have to run longer RCA's. I had to remove my glovebox and fab up what is basicaly a huge speaker grill in it's place to vent the compartment, and it's works great and my guages love me for it. I've heard some boat manufactures are attatching stickers to new boats about placing subs in the footwell. Basicaly if you do, you will void any warranty on guages.