Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-18-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
Not at all, I'm running 950 in the surfside locker, 500 center and 750 in the bow, some times adding another 500lbs onthe surf side seats or in the walkway if I don't have enough people in boat to get the wave I want. All this would do would be to allow me to put in the other 950 in the other locker and I'd probably always run the 500lbs in the walkway to insure I got a longer pocket, so at most I'd run an extra 950lbs over the 2500
ok, lets just say you have enough people and dont have to run a sac on the seat. If that is the case, you are running 2,150lbs. Add another 950 locker sac and 500lbs walkway you are at 3,600lbs (with sacs all over the place). That is a 67% increase in weight. You cant tell me that the gas you burn wont go up materially.

Again, not complaining, just pointing out how it will really be used by surfers. And by that, I dont mean the wakeboard crew that is out all day and decides to surf when the water goes to crap.

Note: my 5,000lbs reference was related to a 247. You have a VTX, which obviously wont hold 5,000lbs.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
ok, lets just say you have enough people and dont have to run a sac on the seat. If that is the case, you are running 2,150lbs. Add another 950 locker sac and 500lbs walkway you are at 3,600lbs (with sacs all over the place). That is a 67% increase in weight. You cant tell me that the gas you burn wont go up materially.

Again, not complaining, just pointing out how it will really be used by surfers. And by that, I dont mean the wakeboard crew that is out all day and decides to surf when the water goes to crap.
Gas will go up, but no more than it does when we run heavy for wakeboarding. I also don't ahve sacks all over the place. I have a bow sack that is shaped for the bow, and which no one ever uses our bow anyways, and a sack inthe walkway to the bow, which again isn't being used. The other 2 sacks would be in the lockers and are plumbed in.

Why wouldn't it be used by surfers? The fact it can be switched mid set set allows for newer and different tricks than can currently be done. Part of what makes surfing lame is the low amount of one wake tricks. You add in wake to wake tricks and now you start to add more excitment to the sport.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-18-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
Quote:

Why wouldn't it be used by surfers? The fact it can be switched mid set set allows for newer and different tricks than can currently be done. Part of what makes surfing lame is the low amount of one wake tricks. You add in wake to wake tricks and now you start to add more excitment to the sport.
I guess as a person that only surfs, I am saying that I am not running 5,000lbs in my Enzo 244 (ie Bu 247) so I can switch sides on the fly vs 7 minutes it takes me now. The danger of running that much weight and the increase cost in gas is not worth it to me.

I still am excited about surfgate and think the potential is huge. But it is not going to cause core wakesurfers to run out and buy it.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
I guess as a person that only surfs, I am saying that I am not running 5,000lbs in my Enzo 244 (ie Bu 247) so I can switch sides on the fly vs 7 minutes it takes me now. The danger of running that much weight and the increase cost in gas is not worth it to me.

I still am excited about surfgate and think the potential is huge. But it is not going to cause core wakesurfers to run out and buy it.
They may or may not, but really what % of the market do they really make up? Most boat buyers are multi sport families who just want the ease of changing activities and sides. Odds are they aren't going to be running comp wave type weight.

You obviously don't have to run 5000lbs, but you can if you want. I'm not sure what danger you're talking about, a 247 wiht 5000lbs of weight rides low, but not that low. I've seen one run with 6000lbs of weight and 10 people on board. They were jet ski towing into the wave. BUs need more weight, but having the ability to change mid session with a ton of weight is going to interest the hard core surfers more than you think... Every new invention has their nay sayers, and some are right, but for the most part people latch on and it changes the sport.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-18-2012, 10:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Every new invention has their nay sayers, and some are right, but for the most part people latch on and it changes the sport.
I am not a nay sayer. Its just an observation. BTW:Speaking for a dad with a 3 yr old and a 7 yr old, there is noway I would put them in a boat with 5,000lbs of ballast.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am not a nay sayer. Its just an observation. BTW:Speaking for a dad with a 3 yr old and a 7 yr old, there is noway I would put them in a boat with 5,000lbs of ballast.
I'm also a dad with a 3 year old and 7 year old, and I've run 3000lbs plus in my 20ft boat multiple times wiht them on board. It's not as dangerous as you make it seem.

It's not an observation, it's an opinion on what you think others may or may not do. Typically it's called nay saying.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-18-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm also a dad with a 3 year old and 7 year old, and I've run 3000lbs plus in my 20ft boat multiple times wiht them on board. It's not as dangerous as you make it seem.

It's not an observation, it's an opinion on what you think others may or may not do. Typically it's called nay saying.
This is why posting on this forum sucks. Nay saying to talking sh*t about how lame surfgate is and saying it does not work. Which I have not done. I made an observation. I said that to get a very good wave you will have to run more weight (just like any other boat) which will either cause you to (1) have to switch sides like normal even with the surfgate or (2) run a lot of weight that you would not have to run otherwise. That is a fact. Please tell me how it is not.

Now let me give you an opinion, the surfgate technology combined with a quick fill ballast would be a game changer. It would allow for both worlds (1) change the wave quickly and (2) not run a bunch of extra weight to do it.

But if it will make you happy, (1) I will not make any obvious observations or (2) share my opinion. I will just agree that everybody will now buy a Bu because of surfgate.