Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    staticlullaby            07-28-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
Hey ya'll just looking for some insight--

In June I fractured two bones in my left wrist (ruining a week at Lake San Antonio) and have been in a cast since. I haven't ridden yet, although three weeks after the incident I got a below-the-elbow, waterproof cast rather than a huge one up to my shoulder. I opted not to go up north to the Sacramento River and Tahoe with my parents in fear of reinjuring it.

I get my cast off Wednesday, and I'm wondering how smart it would be to ride in the days following. I'm regular, so it's not like I could just ride one-handed easily. To add to it, I've had reoccurring tendonitis in my right (good) wrist and it's come back pretty bad in the past few days.

I will have had the cast on for a few days less than six weeks, which isn't actually what the doctor had said would be ideal, since he had wanted to put pins in but decided to try going without.

What do you guys say? Should I wait a while and get my wrist a little stronger? Or should I just wear some sort of brace? If I don't ride now, how likely is it that I'll be alright for another week at Lake SA starting on Aug. 10? I've never broken a bone before, so I'm sort of in the dark here.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-28-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
I don't know about wrists but when I broke by arm my elbow was extremely stiff for a couple weeks after the cast was removed. I had a huge cast from my hand to my upper bicep. I imagine your wrist will be very stiff and somewhat sore. I would give the soft tissues time to recover before using them actively.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-28-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
i had the same experiance last year, the day i got my cast off i went out and rode, my arm was stiff but riding didnt hurt it, i actualy felt better after i rode. Then 3 days later i was in full pads playing football and it felt fine. as long. I think it will be fine to go riding, if you wrist dosnt feel decent still just ride switch and hold on with you right hand if it fells better(i did this while i had the cast on it works alright)