Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    eharaga            07-21-2003, 12:03 PM Reply   

I have never been to Shasta Lake before, but hear nothing but good things about it....Its so far away, I think 4 days is needed, at least...So I am in the process of setting up a house boating trip to Shasta, and was wondering if there are multiple places to rent the houseboats? Is there a preferable location to rent them from? Just any info on Shasta, any pointers or advise, that might help make the trip better would be greatly appreciated...
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
Eric,

If you have the cash Houseboats are the way to go however the GoWakin crew and I stayed at a GROUP CAMPSITE in Hirz Bay. The site holds 100 people per night and is under a 100 bucks.

The water is 50 or so feet from the site so we were able to leave our rides in the water overnight. There is room for 10-15 tents, 15 tables and the area is well shaded. Either way you choose you'll have a great time, shasta is epic!

Here are some pics of the area:
http://www.gowakin.com/2003/galleries/NCS3/browse1.html

-= peace =-
Aaron
Old    staticlullaby            07-21-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   
There are like ten different places to rent houseboats from. Bridge Bay is the most convenient; it's right off the freeway before the Interestate 5 bridge you see in all the videos. We rented out of there the first year, but didn't go back the second. They don't have the most luxurious boats, if that's even what you're looking for. You also have to walk down a huuuge flight of stairs from the store down to the dock; the length depends on the fluctuating water level. I'd recommend Sugarloaf; it's more of a ways off the freeway but their houseboats are nicer and they aren't located on such an annoying hill. I've heard that Jones Valley is good as well. The lake is huuuge. . .just find yourself a nice little cove to anchor/beach in at night, and you can get on that niiiiiice water whenever the hell you want to.
Old    jplorenz            07-21-2003, 12:46 PM Reply   
Eric -we rent through these guys - http://www.houseboats.com/shasta/
Have always had great service and nice boats
John L. (Oregon)
Old    staticlullaby            07-21-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
Aaron-- what lake is that in your profile shot?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
Shannon,

That is New Hogan Lake in Valley Springs ( Nor*Cal). . .

http://www.anglernet.com/web/maps/nhogan1.htm

=)

-= peace =-
Aaron
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
When are planning on going?
Old    eharaga            07-21-2003, 8:52 PM Reply   
We are planning on heading out there September 4-8....Just started looking, and I never realized how damn big Shasta is...Something which may help in deciding, may be to ask what spots are good for riding...Are there good places to ride around Jones Valley? If not, then I need to find another houseboat rental, because we would prefer not to have to cruise the house boat all over the place.....

Should be a blast, do those house boats have power outlets, or enough power to power some DJ equipment (or does the boat have to be running)...Not sure how the mechanics work with them.....

Are there certain areas on the Lake that are more crowded than others?

Thanks for your help on this...
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-22-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
Eric:
We are Shasta vetrans,go 3-4 times a yr. Still havent seen the whole lake in 4 seasons and butt loads of full.

1) Jones Valley has some of the nicest boats on the water. The Pit Arm is freakn awesome. That is a very good choice cause there arnt many roaches(PWC"S). The arm is shaded in the afternoon and wind usually blows across the top of the reees and doesnt effect the water as much. THere are tons of nice coves also for the HB.

Rick
Old    boarddude            07-29-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
Eric,

Shasta is by far the best lake in California to go boarding. Water temps in the 80s, premier riding conditions in any given time in almost any of the five arms, the Pit arm being phenominal as Rick mentioned...I've spent time shore camping, mainly at Lakehead, Antlers and along the Sacramento arm, but Hirz Bay is nice as it gets. Watch for bears! I've got stories on those friggen bears.... When the lake is nearly full like it is now, Hirz Bay would be your best bet to shore camp.
Houseboats are great to base your crew on and explore the lake...be prepared to pay for gas, the lake can swallow some fuel.Yes, the houseboat has power outlets, front, rear, on top depending on model. Fully self-contained with their own generator. Another nice element that Lake Shasta has is that it cools down at nite, making it a nice reprieve from the days heat; plus easy to sleep! Jones Valley or Lakehead are probably your best bets on Houseboats (if you can get them) Otherwise tent it at Hirz Bay...