Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-10-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
Hey guys, need some advice on trucks!

When I moved to Alberta from BC, we sold my 99 Response (which we got for a steal) and now I'm looking at the subject of trucks to tow a future boat with. Truck before the boat obviously.

I don't want to spend much, and would probably be using it for a daily driver. It would need to tow a boat (Response, 21 'Wakesetter, 21' Sunscape, about that size) roughly 100km every weekend, and from Alberta to BC (through the rogers pass) once a summer.

I'm not from America/Canada, and back home (New Zealand) we don't have big american trucks that can tow a house. We are limited to the Toyota Hilux (similar to a tacoma) and Toyota Landcruisers.

Currently I'm driving a 1998 Ranger, and its fairly obvious that this just won't do. The girl will be keeping that as her daily, and I'll be picking up a truck.

The question is, what one? I want to spend under $10k. Petrol/Diesel doesn't concern me, although Diesel's are a lot more expensive here aren't they?

So WW, fire me your opinions!

p.s - I'm partial to something that I could lift, put 33s on and look awesome in hahaha.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-10-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
ahhh you a kiwi haha just had to say it! Im not one to ask man Ive never had a pick up, just my Range Rover. One day tho, one day...
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-10-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
Haha that I am. And proud!

I should mention that with my previous 'bu, I never towed it. Well once at the start of the summer and when it was sold. Used girls dads F350 for that.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2009, 2:42 AM Reply   
The overseas Toyota Hilux comes in 1 ton versions.
As of 05 the NAS Tacoma is a completely different 1/2 ton frame with a different suspension than the rest of the world gets but will still tow an average 21-22ft boat perfectly well.
Lifting a vehicle usually negatively impacts towing ability. The kits add weight which reduces the portion of GCVWR left for your tow load, the macho tires lower your final drive ratio and stress your driveline. Lifts also operate the driveline at higher angles which is not a great idea for longevity. Finally, the better lifts are designed with off road articulation and not controlling a trailer in mind - I know from personal experience the difference was not an improvement for towing safely.
Keep in mind this a predominantly US board and that we yanks tend toward using larger and more powerful vehicles than we actually need. Take the advice you get here (including mine) with appropriate grains of salt.

The previous version of the Toyota Tundra: 06 and older are a little larger than a compact pickup but not a large as a "full sized", available in V8, are on average more reliable than domestic offerings, and should fit your price range. If you don't mind driving a full sized pickup (or SUV) pretty much any will do the trick so long as it is properly configured for towing. Diesel is expensive in the US and only the heavier duty pickups tend to run diesel engines. Stick with Gas/Petrol powered vehicles to keep your options broader.

(Message edited by mars on February 11, 2009)
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-11-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
Thanks mate.

Plans are to go back home in November, but think I might wait until the following summer. So we will see!

I'm pretty sure the hiluxs in NZ don't come in a 1 ton. They can tow things, but not a lot.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
Cheers, could be the 'zeds don't do the 1 ton but the aussies and south african's do. I've driven one in Cairns. Try the wiki page for "Hilux".