Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-08-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
I have been doing cars for ahwile now but this is the first time I am geting this involved in the detailing of my 215.

I am wet sanding (1500-2000) a few spots that have decent scratches. Then hitting it up with 3M rubbing compound on the Meguires 7000 cutting foam pad. My next step is hitting it up with Finess It II or Meguirs Final Cut. Then finally using the Meguirs 9000 buffing pad and Meguires Gold Ship Marine wax.

My question (finally) is how many times show I apply then wax and buff it before it becomes pointless? My 215 is white so I don't believe using glaze will make a noticable difference.
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
I wax twice to make sure you did not miss a spot
and doing it twice will let you move the supports holding the boat up and wax under them( I remove the boat from the trailer so I can wax the bottom, but I have a boom truck at work makes it very easy)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-08-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
Not sure but what do you guys think about polish on a white boat? See profile pic.. Thanks

(Message edited by ghostrider 2 on February 08, 2009)
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-08-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
If you're talking about the areas that were scratched and you wet sanded, you may be able to skip the compound and just us FI II or MFC. It sounds like you know what you're doing, I assume you're not talking about doing the whole boat with FI II or MFC. MGSMW is good stuff. Just go with that. BTW, I think you're suffering from lack-of-boarding-itis or OCD. Your boat is probably cleaner than a new one at a dealership.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-08-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
Actually is is all taped and prepped to be completely done. Going to use the rubbing compound because she really needs it, and just a habit of following it up with Final Cut/Finess it. I am doing her in sections so that I am not doing a rush job. Drivers side below the rubrail is now complete as of 15 min ago..

Yes I do have serious OCD (to include bordom)and its worse because of the shorter season I have right now, but that will change sometime this summer!!
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-08-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
You DO have OCD. Don't you think the compound leaves swirl marks and you could have gone with just the FI II? After all that hard work, don't put it in the water this season, it'll just get dirty and leave water spots. Best to leave it in your garage and admire it.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-08-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Nope I know it doesn't, just a hard habit to break. Got to remember this is her first time getting detailed like this since the first year we got her(Sept 04). Ouch!

She is in the garage and sad thing is there isn't aday that goes by that I don't look out into it and dream of putting her in the water, as I look her her clean lines...Man I am bored!
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Kenny,

I think you are probably doing to many steps. I would sand out oxidation and scratches with 400, then wet sand 600 then 1000.. Polish with a good medium compound, and then wax and seal with Nu Finish.. Nu Finish has sealant, UV protection, and wax all in one: it is also super easy to rub on and off.. I got this formula from an experienced and reliable true gelcoat repair shop. The people that own and run the shop are the VP and ex employees from the old Texas Glastron plant.

Ken Land
Bullet Lines / Krypt Towers
www.bulletlines.com

(Message edited by bulletlines on February 09, 2009)
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-09-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Anyone happen to know what is best to take off old decals without hurting gel coat? This thread is really inspiring
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-09-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
I pulled slowly using my heat gun then acetone.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-09-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Its a long cold crapy winter here in IL. IF the boat was in my garage I would be doing the same thing.
I second the heat gun it works wonders on those hard to get off stickers