Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-29-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
I am currently looking at a few boats. One of them is a Supra 21V. I have never been in one(or even seen one in person), so I was hoping to get some insight. Please tell me any pros, or cons about them. I will usually have a crew of 6(including small kids). How is the ride in rough conditions to a X1?

Thanks!
Old    pdxWAKE.com            01-29-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Paul
It is a great boat. It is definitely bigger than an x1 and I would say it will handle chop better than the x1. It has a ton more storage than the X1 and the ballast is very configurable. All the bags are hidden in compartments and you can double the size of the bags in each compartment and make great wake and have it all plumbed and still a ton of storage. On the x1 I notice the boat will tug and come of course a bit when the rider pulls. you will not have that feeling any more either. Most people are running an 1150# bag in the front locker and then take out the stock 650# bag in the front and put it in one of the back lockers and get one more of those bags for the other locker and you are set. The wake will be beefy if you set it up like this. It is also steeper than you will find with the X1, so just depends what you like.
You will love the boat.... It is pretty similar comparison to the x1, which also an awesome boat.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-29-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Thanks Diggs. Does the 325hp motor strugle at all? I am also not sure what to think about how the seat wraps up to the front. I am tall at 6'2, will have to fight getting in and out of the drivers seat?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-29-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
Paul, not sure if you are willing to get one out of state but I have seen a couple 2005 21V's in the Seattle area for cheap. One is 32 and the other is 30.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            01-29-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
The 325 motor is fine, but you need to get the wakeboard prop. If you are running at elevation, I would consider the 340HP. We ran 2300 lbs of ballast and 4-8 adults regularly and it never has a problem. These days it seems to be all about the prop.
The play pen is a like or dislike it thing. I love it. Gives you the ability to store more water and keep it out of site. The seat backs on the walk through flip up and provide for more seating and a great way to block the wind. Also makes a true little "playpen" up front for the kids or girls to hang out.
What year are you looking at?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-29-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
Paul, with the wakeboard prop (14.25x14) from OJ the 325 will have no problem at all handing a lot of weight. I had a buddy with a 21V with the 325 that ran the setup that Diggs is talking about above and it had no problems.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-29-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
Paul-

I do not know anything about the X-1, but i do have a Supra 21V. It has a a good wake to it with the factory ballasts, but like diggs said its alot better when its uprgraded. We usually put about 1500-2000 lbs more in the boat when we are riding. But the biggest problem with the Supra is the lack of storage. The rear sacks are in the storage area next to the engine. When you fill them you lose 90% of your storage area, which is very annoying. The front sack is underneath the walkway for the playpen. So if you need storage i would steer way from Supra.

The boat itself is for overall quailty...its an ok boat...stress cracks are numerous...heater core in the 21V is installed from the factory in a location where it does not drain itself...the tower is sometimes mis-welded and doesnt allow for the tower to fold down correctly...
Old    pdxWAKE.com            01-29-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
A little tip if you are looking for storage on the 21V -
Re-locate your battery or batteries under the seat that goes into the large cubby whole at the clamshell. Once you do that you can store a few adult bodies in there. No joke.
If you have the 650 bags in the back you should get the ones that are long instead of tall and come up under your seats. We will have room for all of our life vests, ropes, etc back there. I still have room in the front locker for a garbage bag full of garbage and cans. The one comment I get more than anything on the 21V is the amount of storage.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-29-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Better place for the batteris is actually under that seat next to the outer wall under the fiberglass... The longer sacks do give you slightly more room, but realistically since the sacks are in the storage area either way, you are losing storage compared to other boats. If you want storage look for a company that has hard tanks or the Calabria style ballasts.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-29-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
I have ridden extensively in both. The 21v is much much larger and gives more storage. Also the seats and ride are much more comfortable. The wake is more verticle than the x-1, both are good wakes its just which you prefer. As stated above flip a switch and v has ballast already in and it is easy to upgrade sacks. It will be time consuming to load down the x.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-29-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
But the companies with hard tanks under the floor have a very small ballast system, usually under 900 lbs. If you want to add more ballast the only option is to go bags on top of tanks(which no mfg suggests) and have to mess with seperate pumps to fill and empty.

With the Supra, if you want a 900 lb system (very small bags), yes, you will have a ton of storage. If you want a 2000 lb plus ballast system, yes it will take up a lot of your storage, but so will it on any other brand boat, for example the X1. Plus, with the Supra it will all be plumbed into the factory ballast system. over 2000 lbs all with a flick of a switch.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-29-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
Personally i like the 22/24 ssv wakes in supras line better but the 21v is a sweet boat as well..

but between those two boats id say the 21v is bigger(rides better in bigger chop),more storage even with extra ballast,deeper free board,has adjustable wake plateand the wakes are almost equal maybe the x1 getting a slight edge.

so 21v gets the edge if i was in your situation..
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-29-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
Wow, thanks guys. To be clear, I am not looking at an X1. I use to have a '01 Xstar, so that was the comparison I was getting at. I am however also looking at a couple BU VLXs, but the price on those is a little higher. I am looking at 04-05 in year ranges so far.

Brett, I am looking out of state because here in KS, there isn't much to choose from, but Seattle is a little too far. Thanks though.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-29-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
I'm not sure about the above comment about the storage, heater core, welded tower problems or stress cracks. Heater core not draining? Tower not folding down correctly? Just not following you.
I've never had stress cracks while I've owned any of mine, but have seen some on 21V's, Xstars, vlx's, x1's, nautiques, calabria's, etc, etc...you get the point. One thing I loved about my 21V's is I've never run out of space to put stuff.

I've had everyone from pro to joe ride my boat and everyone has commented on how they like the wake. I run 450's in the back and the 1150 in the belly. flip of a switch, all hidden.

Paul, I'm a helluva lot closer to you and know of a couple 21v's for sale in my area...smokin' deals too! PM or email me up if you'd like more info...
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-29-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
great boat. NAW makes a good point (cough, cough). get in touch with him about available 21v's. I have a pic of mine for sale in my profile
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-29-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Love mine. I have the upgraded bags to 2100 lbs plus a couple extras on the floor with the 325 hp and wakeboard prop. no problem getting out of the hole and makes a nice wake.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-29-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
I sat in a 21V once. If you are tall you feel very cramped up against the steering wheel in the drivers seat.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-29-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
Naw, I sent you a pm.
Old    suprafly07            01-29-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
I love my 2007 21v! no problems with stress cracks either. I am 6'2" as well and I am perfectly comfortable at the helm. I am coming from a direct drive so storage is ample enough for single day use, can be stressed when friends/family bring all their junk tho! hope this helps!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-30-2009, 4:55 AM Reply   
"the tower is sometimes mis-welded and doesnt allow for the tower to fold down correctly"

TheSack, your tower should not have any miswelded area's in it. We make each tower out of a steel jig to ensure consistency in build quality. If it is just a little difficult to fold down, be sure you aren't breaking it down with less than two people. I may be reading your statement incorrectly though, what do you mean by it "doesn't fold down correctly."?

Cody
Xtreme Tower Products
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-30-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
....its a beautifull boat......no probs with storage wrap around seating.....we love our 21v. I disagree with the steep wake somewhat. We have 1150 upfront and 585 each rear compartment. Then we put three peeps upfront and the rest away from the backseat. Plate all the way down......we find it is a big and meaty wake. The key is to keep her front loaded.......if we put peeps in the back with all that weight and plate up a bit....yes its incredibly steep. We have the 340hp which I would recommend ...with 2300 lbs and 8 peeps no problem!

Yes the storage behind the front passenger seat is huge ....our kids go in there to play!! (8 and 10 year old)

....I did look at the x-1.....and to be honest I felt that boat to be tiny with a low freeboard and no wrap around seating or playpen. Its a nice hardcore boat...but needs some upgrading to be up with other boats. When I looked it also didn't have the wakeplate which I am always using.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on January 30, 2009)
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-30-2009, 6:48 AM Reply   
Do you have any wake pics, Michael z?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-30-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
Dont know what our weight was in this pic and looks like the plate is up a bit....as there seems to be a lip....with plate down that rounds off.
I am pretty sure we have no more than 3 people in the boat as this is a fall picture...and then we are usually alone.

unfortunately we never take specific pics of the wake...but i think next year I will take some as people are always asking.
Upload

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on January 30, 2009)
Old    pdxWAKE.com            01-30-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
Here is an old pic from our old 05 with the same weight config
Upload
Old    pdxWAKE.com            01-30-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
70-75 feet and 23 mph
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-30-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Very nice!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-30-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
I really miss my 21v. It was hands down the best boat that I've ever owned. Everything that these guys are telling you is the truth. Tons of storage, GREAT wake, tons of torque, and I never had my boat cavitate(sp) while turning. We ran about 3000lbs in it and all but 500lbs came with the flip of a switch. I ran an additional 500lb in lead up in the bow under the seats just to keep the wake a bit less steep than some. If I ever get into another boat, it will be a Supra. They are top notch, and the build quality is awesome. You'll love it.

I will say that the ONLY thing that I didn't care too much about was the fact that they only had one pump to fill the ballast. However, if your handy, then you can easily add a couple others to help speed up the process. Everyone would always say,"Why don't you just fill up while driving?", because I don't like waiting. For me, at our lake, we would drop the boat, and would literally be were we ride, and we didn't have to drive anywhere, so speed was important for us. Plus running all the extra weight would tend to take too long for my liking.

Good luck!
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Like others have said the 21v is an amazing boat...has a great wake that can be tuned to your liking....I love my 07..here is a wake pic with around 2300lbs in her...you can go to our site http://www.blackwaterrydas.com/OnlyTheBeginning.mov and all that footage came from behind my 21v mostly...
Upload
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
another...
Upload
Old     (blackcreek22)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-30-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Is this the 'wakeboard prop' that everyone speaks of in this thread. I have a 2005 21V, and I love it. I have the stock prop and it is a little slow out of the hole, but great once it is on plane. I am looking to upgrade my prop and want to make sure I get one that is tried and true. Thanks everyone!

14.25X14 LH XMP "EDGE" 4BLD 1-1/8" (.090C)

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ466
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-30-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
That is the wakeboard prop.
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-31-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
That's it. You'll notice that your speed will hold more consistently with heavier loads in addition to the obvious hole shot difference. Good choice
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
What i mean by the tower being miswelded sometimes and does not fold down correctly is that the uprights that the board racks are attached to do not always have the mounting brackets for the board racks welded in the correct place. They can be around a 1/2" off. This difference keeps one side from allowing the tower to fold down correctly.

The heater core in the 21V is installed in an area that does not allow it to drain properly even when winterized. This is a design flaw from the factory. This is the only model that has the heater core in this place.

And stress cracks being numerous is just simply stating that with my boat i have had more stress cracks then any other boat i have ever owned.
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-03-2009, 5:25 AM Reply   
Will that prop work well in my 2000 DD?
Old    jhoffeld            02-03-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
thesack, I had some cracking in the gel coat around the platform brackets. In 2006 a few boats had the same issue. Eventually the platform fell off, but all repairs were covered under the lifetime hull warranty. I have been on many boats, but must say I am completely happy with mine.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-04-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
Does the Lifetime hull warranty transfer to second owners?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-04-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Paul,

What year are you looking at? The warranty has changed a few times over the past couple of years. For the most part, the Lifetime hull warranty does transfer if done by a certain period of time after the original purchase date for a minimal fee through a Supra dealer.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-05-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
I checked with Skiers Choice and Mike said since it was a private sale, it did not transfer. I was a little disappointed, but I do understand. I think they should have a program where you can take it to a dealer and get the boat certified, and extend the warranty to the second owner.

I actually pulled the trigger last night and bought one. Pulled it home from OK. Its a 2005. Bought it from a fellow WWlder. I didn't see one spider crack, and I am 6'3 and had NO problem sitting in the drivers seat. It had more leg room than my old XStar. The guy I bought it from was outstanding with the sale. He obviously took really good care of it, and made the transaction go super smooth. Now I just have to wait for it to warm up!
Old    pdxWAKE.com            02-05-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
Paul
You can take your boat to a SC dealer and they can transfer the warranty for you like Paul said. There is a small fee from the dealer, SC, and Indamar to transfer all the warranties. Good luck with the boat. You will love it. Lets see some pics.....
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-05-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
Thats not what the guy from Skiers choice said.

"If the boat is sold through an authorized Supra Dealer to a second person and the Dealer is the selling agent within the first two years of the boat being new the limited lifetime hull warranty can be transfered once the authorized dealer turns in the required paper work and information.
If the boat is sold from the original owner to another person (person to person sale) or if the boat is sold through a non authorized dealer to another person there is no transferable warranties."

I will get picks when it warms up and I can take it out. THX.