Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-06-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
On my 91 Sunsport there is a drain manifold with 8 on/off valves by my bilge with 8 hoses running to it 1 coming off of each of the exhaust manifolds, 1 for the water pump, 1 for the water circulating pump, and 4 from various spots on the engine block so instead of sucking antifreeze through the water intake and it circulating all through the engine can't I just turn all the valves on and let everything drain ?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-06-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
pics
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-06-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
I'll take some and post em as soon as I get home
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-06-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Montgomery, that manifold can only be there to drain the water. It should be enough. but it would not drain a heater or anything extra. You have to check if you have an oil heat exchanger or transmission cooler that would not be drained by those. They may have there own drain plugs.
I'm not familiar with that boat or engine so don't take my word as gospel.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-06-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
I'm glad you mentioned the tranny cooler I meant to drain it last night and forgot all about it . . . What's the best way to winterize the heater I've heard to use an air to blow it out and not to use an air hose and just blow it out with your mouth because the air hose will damage the core . . . any advice ?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-06-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
Disconnect the two lines and stick your mouth on one. Blow. You can use compressed air or a wet dry vacuum but then you have to get the hose and turn it on and all that extra work. Of course then you wouldn't pass out from the exertion so that might not be all that bad.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-06-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
:-) the wet/dry vac sounds like a winner
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-06-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
OK so with a closer look I noticed that everything (minus the heater) that has water running to it or through it is linked to the big drain manifold so I turned all the valves and after a minute or so of draining and bilging I checked everything (minus the heater) and there was no water to be found anywhere . . . . So I should be OK (minus the heater) now right ?
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-07-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
is this what your system looks like?

http://www.minutedrain.com/
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
Yeah it's looks exactly like that
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
I'm going to put one on every boat I buy from here on out it's so convenient to just turn some valves and not worry about having to suck up anti-freeze
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
(WestMarine.com) "Run gasoline tanks down to a minimum amount of fuel and add fuel stabilizer. (Note: Modern fuels lose their octane ratings when stored, which can cause engine damage.)" Is this ok to do ? Or should I just fill it to 3/4 with Stabil
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
And yes one more turned into a lot more but that's just how I roll
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-07-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
to me, the bigger problem would condensation in the tank, promoted by leaving it empty. (i guess thats why the stabil is in there) I like to fill it with gas, then add stabil. Much less air moving around in the tank and you still have stabil for whatever condensation there is. Losing 2 pts of octane over the winter isn't going to hurt.

I can see the point of both arguments...