Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-19-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
im doing an analysis essay on wakeboarding and need to know the history of the sport. i have done a search but i just keep coming up with the same stuff just on different sites. i need to know history about the boards, boats, syles, styles of riding and the image of wakeboarding and how that has all chaned since the beginning. if anyone can help me it would help a lot. thanks for your help.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-19-2007, 11:22 PM Reply   
i believe the first boat was an air natique. it was the first boat with a tower on it. not sure exactly what board though. cuz first there was skurfers, then we had the surf style compresion molded board, then we had twin tips.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-19-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
thanks yeah the first wakeboard was made by hyperlite but thats all i found
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-19-2007, 11:28 PM Reply   
paging electricsnow...come in electricsnow....please report to wakeworld's wakeboarding discussion...paging electricsnow....
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-20-2007, 12:08 AM Reply   
This talks a little bit about the first wakeboards and twin tip design.

http://www.prowakeboardtour.com/article.jsp?ID=32764
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2007, 5:07 AM Reply   
MB had a wake specific boat that came out in the late 90's, 1st B-52, came with a pole, before towers, it was all black including the interior.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       05-20-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
I did a paper on that a few years ago, I will see if I can dig it up so I can find where I got the info, cause I remember I came across alot of specific people who helped make the first skurfer and help wakeboarding grow from there!
Old     (210hippy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-20-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Watch Retrospect.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
RANDY THANK U ILL LOOK INTO MB MORE

JEIGH YEAH IF U CAN FIND THAT PAPER THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME THANK U

STEVE WHAT IS RETREOSPECT?
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
MICHAEL THANKS THE BEGANNING HELPED ME OUT
Old     (zburns)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-20-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
There is a lot of good information about the history of boards on the first cd of the book
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
Do you meen wakeboard or skiboard.
First ski-board - skurfer
first compression molded ski-board - HO hyperlite
First wakeboard - Flight 69

First wakeboard boat - either the 96 air nautique or Centuriuns wave boat. The fist air nautique only had a slightly highjer pylon and air decals. No tower.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-20-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
Oh, Joe!

I would have a hard time being able to confidently state who made the first wakeboard boat, only because I don't know what characteristics set each boat apart. There's an ad in the first issue of WBM for centurion's wave boat, and it makes claims about hauling wakeboarders...but if they did anything to make it specific to wakeboarding, I'm not sure. But from there, I'd also check out the air nautiques and the first x-star that was used on the tour in 97. I just remember thinking that x star was rad because it included a pylon, fat sacks...but I can't remember if they re-designed the hull or not.

as for boards, you're going to get a few different opinions on this. Ryan listed some pretty key designs, minus jimmy redmon's Sano boards.

...but outside of that, if you really want to look further and try to find boards that were made for riding behind the boat, they are out there. For some reason, people can't marry the idea of wakeboarding coming from surfing and then surfers making the first "wakeboards." For whatever reason..it's not considered "wakeboarding." Sorry if some of the regulars are sick of this spiel, but everything evolves--you look at snowboarding and the first snowboards are considered to be snurfers. Do they at all resemble today's snowboards? Not at all. And that reason is why I don't have a problem attributing the first wakeboards to (at the very least) phil owens. I know there are other surf companies that made pop outs, but this is one board I've seen and I also have an advertisement for it as well. Furthermore, it's actually called a "wake board."

Also, many years back some dudes at launch magazine found an article in surfer magazine from 1979 that featured a guy named malcom beck and he had also shaped at least one board that was specific to riding behind a boat. (I wish I had the actual article, but I only had the launch blurb. but I'm working on it!)

Anyway, if you need any visuals or any print references, i can scan a bunch of stuff and send it on over. For now, here's a little visual reference. It's a waterslide (hopefully I have the vocabulary correct becuase I can't find my notes on it) from a phil owens board I saw a number of years back online.

Alright bros, I have to split. Desperate housewives is about to begin!!!

Upload
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
wow joe u werent kiding electricsnow is awesome. thank you so much electric snow u have helped a lot! i dont need any visuals thanks. thank you all ur info that is awesome.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-20-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
the centurion wave was the first boat to come with internal ballast
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-20-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
http://webpages.csus.edu/~tk64/
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-21-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
no problem. Good luck with your essay!
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       05-21-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
This might help http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/341148.html

(Message edited by chqwakeboarder on May 21, 2007)