Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (morty)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-11-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
The Slingshot website is up and running.

slingshotwake.com
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-11-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
The website is sick. The videos featuring Jeff Mckee give a perfect sense of what the product is all about. CHECK IT OUT
Old     (anabolicone)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-12-2007, 4:15 AM Reply   
900.00 for board and bindings ----> ouch
Old     (ssteele013)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-12-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
yeah thats a little steep for a set up... have u rode one ryan
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
I think ill wait until I win one... kinda reminds me of a roam w/ a wakeboard shape. I like the bindings feature though.
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
i talked to the slingshot rep at LA boat show and was interested but i just looked at the new website and they only offer a 3 month warranty on their stuff. imo thats pretty weak when they are charging 900 for a set-up. thoughts?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-12-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
Nothing like a Roam, it flexes but not nearly as much as a Roam. Its designed for wake riding and does it very well with a solid snap off the wake.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
k well even so 3 months!?!?!?!? I'll support a wake company thats more willing to support me, rather than taking 900 from me then giving me a board they feel wont last more than 3 months. Are they really only expected to last that long or is Slingshot just not really sure about their durability?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-12-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
They are self described for "wake and rails" so is the warranty slider inclusive?

If so I could see the 90 day policy, if not, its a bit weak.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
Even so what percent of the market they will most likely sell to hits sliders... I know where I'm at I'd be hard pressed to hit a slider if I wanted to(never have). Just my thought that the majority of consumers in the market probably wouldn't hit sliders making that warranty weak regardless, unless they have an extended warranty if you don't hit sliders.
Old     (morty)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-12-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
Hitting sliders is not included in the warranty, I just back from riding mine right now, and I still love the setup. You don't have to buy it directly from Slingshot, you can go to greenhouserideshop.com. They are an authorized dealer and they are cheaper there.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
Then it's official they look like a fun board... they probably are but I'm not gonna drop that kinda coin on a board that might be broken in 3 months without a replacement. I bet a year from now IF they have a flaw and do break and theres no replacement, they won't have many repeat buyers. Then again most people on here get hooked up pretty good from knowing somebody in the biz.
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2007, 4:46 PM Reply   
yea that was my point, im not spending that much on a board thats only guarantedd for three months, regardless of how fun it looks. if they are really trying to change wakeboards i dont think a 3 month warranty is a good place to start.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-12-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
Slingshot has not broken one board since the wake company has been in existance. The boards are extremely durable.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
COOL then why do they only have a 3 month warranty????? Theyve prolly broken more theyre just out of warranty so how would you hear about it?????
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2007, 11:07 PM Reply   
The 90 warranty is a typo Slingshot will warranty boards for a full year, and no slingshot board has ever been broken on the wake, and only one on a slider.

(Message edited by iukekini on May 12, 2007)
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-12-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
JM,

how do you know this?

and how did it break on a slider?

thanks man
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
I work for slingshot.

Part of the ABS outline in the tip broke
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-13-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
Any one know if the hole patterns is the same as a snowboard? If so F*@# yeah
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-13-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
yes the four whole pattern is the same!!!!!!!
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-13-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
jrad, morty and anyone else with a slingshot,

have you been reshaping your rails??
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-13-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
Very cool site, love the binding setup.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-13-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Negative on that one proho, Riding it right out of the package. Reshaping the rails tends to slow the board down, I like the feeling of a faster board!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
not dissin' on the product(s), but the only bindings you can ride on a slingshot board are slingshot bindings?
Old     (morty)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-13-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
yeah Joe, because if it had the ability to use other bindings it would kill the flex because where the holes for traditional bindings are located would not be able to flex. Since the screws mount through the bottom of the boot on the slingshots the only dead area is directly under your feet. With traditional binding patterns there would be two 10" areas that would not be able to flex.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
the Obrien bindings and the hyperlite bindings dont have much of a plate. They only have like 1 additional inch of flat spot compared to a slingshot binding (visual guess. I would guess that someone could get away with putting either companies' binding on the board... that is IF the holes lined up appropriately (which most likely they wont... but IF...)

The lack of a binding plate sticking out the bindings' sides is one of the major important reasons to fit only slingshot bindings. Like the video says, the lack of binding plate allows more flex potential. IF obrien or hyperlite bindings were to fit on the board (attached to either pair of holes and adjusted appropriately) their respective plates would most likely not hinder the board flex

I suppose any person could cut the plate off the sides of any boot and drill four holes through the sole

AGAIN, im just speculating. Plus, i doubt any of this comes recommended by any wakeboard company, especially slingshot. But if the obrien or hype boots fit... those would be the next best thing for the present.

Is there anyone near a shop with slingshot who can test my theory about obrien and hyperlite's bindings???????
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2007, 11:09 PM Reply   
just reread the past posts...

SINCE the holes are EXACTLY the same as a snowboard... then i suppose you could strap some snowboard boots on the board HEHEHEHEHhehehehehe.

...then you can ride the board on water and snow too
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-14-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
Jeremy, your theory unfortunately won't work. The whole idea behind the four whole pattern is so that you eliminate the latteral width of traditional inserts. Hyperlites slim binding plate has nothing to do with it, it is the 10" of dead space in the board that is occupied by the inserts. Does this make sense???
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
it makes perfect sense
but as a joke and curiosity i was wondering about hype bindings and obrien bindings ONLY. their binding plates only stick out about a half inch more than the sole of the binding.

IF the bolts could line up (skipping a hole or two as compared to slingshot binding)then it would not hinder the board flex AS MUCH as say liquidforce bindings, BUT still more than Slingshot i would immagine.

if there was someone who was adamant about using another companies bindings, than these would be the only ones that would be any where decent replacement WITH A HUGE POTENTIAL IF AND LACK OF REALISM AND JOKE...AND CURRIOSITY.

IN SUMARY; obrien and hype bindings have the smallest traditional binding plate width of any company... except slingshot of course
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
Okay, so I am going to try and lay to rest the mystery of the "dead spot." Hopefully with a little help from MS Paint I will be able to explain it in a way that makes sense.

Inserts on a wakeboard come in little four packs. If you have ever seen the introduction to The Truth then you know what I am talking about (You can see the insert packs on the board before the foam is poured in). The inserts come prepackaged together in a little rigid material. Now when you connect a binding to the board, regardless of the size of its plate, it makes a bridge between the two insert packs. This creates a 12” dead spot in the board.

It’s not just the binding plate, but the plate in combination with the insert packs.

Upload

Hope this Helps!