Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (boardin4364)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-01-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Just picked up my new ride,Well not brand new, but new for me. The guy did his own stereo setup. He replaced all the speakers (4) inside his 2000MC X-star with Polk Momo speakers and added a JL W6 10inch sub. The problem I am experiencing is that when I crank up the stereo just to half way it clicks and shuts off. I would assume the system is way under powered and wired wrong in the sense that the sub and all 4 speakers are connected to one Clarion 400 watt 2/3/4 channel amp possibly causing the amp to get to much power and shut off
I know nothing about stereo stuff at all except how to run wires for an amp and sub. Don't know what is the best way to run this setup. I tried just disconnecting the sub and running the speakers but it seems to me that these speakers have absolutely no bass. Is that they way they are designed? Also noticed each one has a black box connected to it....what exactly is that?

Not looking to get all crazy as I"m not a huge stereo guy myself...also want to spend as little $$$ as possible. Just want it to not short when I crank it. Think that clarion amp would power the speakers enough and just buy a seperate amp for the sub? Should I just rewire the speakers back to the head unit and use that amp to just push the sub? What it looks like he did was left the factory wiring in place but just ran the new Momo speakers directly to the amp....so am thinking just reconnect it with the head unit and run the sub off the amp? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My old ride I just added a kicker 10 inch square sub and an amp to the factory stereo and that was plenty for me.

Thaks again
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
The black box is the crossover for each speaker, you need that. You don't want these speakers putting out much bass. If the amp does not shut down with the cabin speakers then my guess is that the amp is over loaded from the impeadance of the sub. Buy a class D mono sub amp about 500-700 watts and you'll be set. You will like the way it sounds. Sounds like that sub is driving that amp into protect mode.