Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (jdrcrew8)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-27-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
A validation of the discussions that have occurred here in the past re: tying boats down.

http://www.katu.com/news/7211511.html

Also note - for those who've asked if they should pull with Jeep's/Toyotas/Any vehicle that weighs less than the boat. This guy was in a full size Chevy and his boat jacknifed him trying to stop in traffic. We should probably assume there was some driver error on his part but imagine what the consequences could've been had the vehicle weighed 1000+ lbs. less.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-27-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
Ahah, that really sucks
Old     (kklupenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-27-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
That will ruin your day in a hurry!
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-27-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Where in the article did it mention that the owner failed to tie down the boat?
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-27-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
What kind of boat was it?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-27-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
Could you imagine lossing a 60k to 80k boat like that. My heart goes out to him even if he is a power turning idiot. Not that he is, I just wouldn't want that on my worst enemy.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-27-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
it looks like a bayliner or so
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-27-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
Thats interesting. My trailer has electronic brakes and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am not a fan of surge brakes.

I know when I have had to do some fast braking, I will reach over and yank the lever over and give full power to the trailer brakes. If they screech before my truck screech's, I figure there is no way I can jackknife. Without brakes, and vehicle is going to jacknife, I use the trailer to help keep the truck straight.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-27-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
Man could you imagine being that guy? That would be embarrasing to the max.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-28-2007, 5:05 AM Reply   
Last night I saw a news 'copter clip of a boat that had run forward on the trailer and was resting on the roof of the SUV it was towing. Obviously that wasn't tied down (the vehicle had just braked, not hit anything).
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2007, 5:20 AM Reply   
Hmmmm. My 02 X-star did not come with any transom straps. Guy said it didn't come with them so he never purchased any. 95% of my trailering is done at speeds of 35mph or less over a distance of maybe 5 miles, but it looks like I might pick up a set just in case. Don't want to end up on the evening news.
Any recommendations on where to get a good set? I've seen some that are bolted onto the trailer that seem pretty handy.

(Message edited by chaser on April 28, 2007)
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-28-2007, 6:19 AM Reply   
i wouldn't tow by boat a mile without strapping it properly to the trailer. I use 5 ton ratchet straps, one in the rear and one up front. The straps have hooks in each end so the whole procedure takes less than 5 minutes and can/should be done by anyone
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
I just have the normal tie downs but I think you're looking for the Boat Buckles.