Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-22-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
I just put this on our VLX and it is an amazing improvment. I have the 320 hp engine and now with all ballast full wedge and an additional 1200 pounds with 4 peoploe and we jump out of the hole just l;ike we had no extra weight.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-22-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
Ben, I just put the OJ verson on my boat, amazing. Is Tony going to Wake Games next week?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-23-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Ben, I did the same with our '06 wakesetter, that stock prop sucked! The 1235 is an amazing upgrade! I think I run a little more extra weight than you but yeah, waht a difference
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-23-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
anyone switching from the 837 (the 16* prop)? looking for a new prop not sure which way to go. i'm sure 2* flatter would help but i like some top end too. what is typical to lose on top end w/ the 1235?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-23-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
not that we ever used the top end for anything but I think we lost 3-4MPH
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
so when you change the prop on your boat, do you see any difference in the fuel consumption?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-23-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
Well,

it takes a lot less time and I don't have to give it full throttle to get out of the hole and onto plain, so there's some savings there.

I don't have to give it as much in the corners to keep from high siding, so there's a little more there.

I would say it uses the same RPMS or maybe just a little less to hold wakeboarding speed. It's not any more than it was.

So the answer to your questions is, Yes it sure does use less fuel.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
getting the hammerhead with the new boat.....starts building Thursday!

what do yall think....

does going with the 1235, but with the hammerhead...for top end....cancel each other out in a way

sorry for the wording
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-23-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
what kind of top end are you after?

Hit themalibucrew

there is probably somebody running the 1235 with a hammerhead that can answer that.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-23-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
Put the 1234 (same but opposite rotation) on our 211 last year. Big differance! Comes out of the hole like my old DD did with one person in it (1Klbs over stock ballast). Seemed to have better fuel consumption also. Excellent choice for any loaded boat.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
not extreme on the top end

some lakes we go to require driving a ways to get to a good spot
.......so I went with the HH
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-23-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
The WakeWorld VLX has a 1235 with the Hammerhead. My top end is about 44 now and it was about 47 with the stock prop. However, I never use the top end, so I don't care.

I also assumed that the 1235 would save me gas over the stock prop, but I did a comparison of the two and didn't really find that to be the case. In fact, I found that the stock prop did a little better on gas use. Obviously, it wasn't a super scientific comparison, but both tanks of gas were used for essentially the same type of riding. The stock 'Bu prop used 6.25 gallons per hour and the 1235 used 7 gallons per hour.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
thanks David
44 would be more than enough
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
Is anyone running this prop on a decent sized lake or the delta?

From my discussion with the tech at Acme it sounded like this prop is great when your riding right off the dock or close to that; but with any sort of cruising required to find good water it would be revving pretty high.

I am trying to find the prop that would be best for cruising to a spot and riding with about 2500lbs of ballast in a vlx. I know you cannot have both, but has anyone noticed that the 1235 sucks for cruising? Something like from grant line to disco bay (solely as an example of distance)?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-23-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
most I've gone is maybe 15-20 min, I still usually only run at 30-35 depending on the lake and how rough it is. It does fine but I rarely go wide open for any period of time.

I run full stock ballast and an additional 1200-1400 in the trunks and 400-500 up front.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-23-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
If you need to cruise to a spot to ride I can see where that prop would not be the best and would use more fuel.

However, we launch ride and return when done. Max cruising would be 5 mins without a rider. In this case I see better fuel consumption. I haven't yet tested it at skiing speeds but am sure it will be using more than the stock prop (more rpms=more fuel used). It's a wash for me (save some riding/use more skiing) but I like the pull out of the water when skiing with the new 1234 and the ease out of the hole when riding. SO I'm keeping it.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Yah I rarely cruise over 35 as well Brooke. I wouldnt say that I cruise as in "go for a drive" as much as to get to and from a spot to ride. If that makes any difference, lol.
Old     (wakecat)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-30-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
Hey Brooke, do feel upgrading to the 1235 helps with high siding? I ride on a small lake and have to make tight turns for double ups. Does anyone else experience this high siding when making sharp turns? and will changing the prop or anything else help with this? (aside from not making tight turns)
Thanks
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-30-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
yes, the 1235 or any upgraded prop will alleviate the issue of high siding and the boat slowing down on sharp turns.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-30-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
It REALLY helped in tight turns. We have a similar situation on spots on our lake and had troubles with that. It still gets in that state when you turn right, not nearly as bad and you can power out of it with the 1235. You have to turn a lot tighter to get it into that spot than we did with the stock prop. To the left you can turn really tight without having to worry much at all.

Works great! It was dangerous for us if we turned right with weight and had to turn sharp, you weren't going to make it!
Old     (wakecat)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-30-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
Very nice. Thanks for the input guys. Where can I find the best price for this prop?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-30-2007, 3:50 PM Reply   
http://www.propellersonline.com/Acme.php

I got one too.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-30-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
when ya'll say high siding....are you referring to when your boat leans over REALLY far when taking a sharp turn...mostly when you have extra weight?

sorry to hi-jack, but it's related....will this same prop be an upgrade for an 05 SANTE 210? When heavily weighted....I have issues making tight turns.
Old     (wakecat)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-30-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Yeah that is the problem we are refering to "high siding"
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-30-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Yes that's high siding and I think you want the 1234? I think you need the opposite rotation so you'd have to look it up.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-01-2007, 12:58 AM Reply   
wow...interesting....how does this prop reduce high siding exactly?

I just got this SAN and I was pretty shocked the first time it went on it's side like that...I thought it was because I was running too much weight in the nose....or because at first I had a big ProX sac without straps to keep the water from shifting heavily to one side when turning.

hmmmmm...so cruising isn't so great with this prop. Sometimes we'll have to cruise for 30 to 40 minutes....sometimes longer but not often.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-01-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
By "high siding" do you mean chine lock? I thought chine lock had more so to do with hull design than your propeller? I suppose if the prop was helping the boat hold a more consistent speed through a turn you may not have to turn as sharply and could therefore avoid getting your hull onto its side and into a chine lock? Aside from that I'm not understanding how a propeller can help you avoid chine lock?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-01-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
About cruising, I never run wide open when I'm cruising to a spot so this doesn't bother me a bit. I'll state it again, you'll love a few MPH off of the top end, but otherwise you can cruise away as usual. It works fine, it's not like the boat tops out at 30 or something now, you can still run 40ish if you want to.

High Siding. How it helps I'm not quite sure. I think richard hit it that it's holding speed better. Also, the prop is a little bigger than the stock one on the VLX so maybe that helps. Whatever it is, it helps and if you get it up on the side you can give it gas and keep turning, you don't end up in the 1/4 mile turn.

Maybe you can't see how it helps, but it does. We run our VLX pretty heavy, stock 1250 plus 1000-1200 in the rear trunks and an additional 400ish up front. We had problems in the corners. I can still get it to happen if I turn to the right or if I turn to the left too sharp, but it's not nearly as bad and I can power out of it.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-01-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
the holding speed thing makes sense to me....I just didn't want to talk out of my azz....

not sure what the stock prop is on my Team Edition SAN....need to find out. it actually does really well...I don't really have many complaints with the prop/power, but I was thinking of buying an extra prop....and if my second prop is an upgrade...all the better! thanks for the info Brooke...
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-01-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
Brooke what was on your boat before the 13.5 X 16? Thats what I have now. So this 1235 gets out of the hole that much better?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-01-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Stock on the '06 VLX was the 537. I keep that as a spare. It never had issues holding speed it had issues getting up to speed and in the corners. Those are the two big differences for me.

It lost maybe 4MPH off the top end when we moved to the 1235, but again we never used it anyway. We don't foot behind this boat, it can still pull skiers at any speed they want.
Cruising around the lake at 30-35 is fine.