Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-14-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
I bought a 1 yr old board from a buddy this winter - and took it riding this weekend. A piece of the bottom of the board peeled back like an orange and broke off. Now there is a 1 inch wide strip running the length of the board where the fiberglass is exposed.
I just bought a boat and have gone through the fun(and by fun I also mean putting a hole in my wallet LOL) of outfitting the boat with almost everything it needs. I don't really want to buy a new board - nor can I really afford it right now. Can I ride this board the rest of the season? If so - will it compromise performance?
suggestions?

thanks!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-14-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
you can buy a model year old roam, for like $100 brand new I think. Just make sure you break it so you can warranty it and get a new one.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-14-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
Thane - its no wonder new boards are 4-500 bucks.

nate - depends on how deep it is. you're taking a chance on the board holding water in the core and causing it to expand and eventually split the entire board. try to seal it with something if it looks too deep. from what you described, it should be ok.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-14-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
I it is deep, treat it like a car. Bondo it, sand, and paint. If you have any friends in the auto repair business, and you dont care what it looks like, see if they can help you out. If it is not too deep ride it, but I would not ride it with the core material exposed.

When all else fails, check out Ebay. I just bought a 2002 Absolute Platinum for under $140. Hopefully it will be here before this weekend...
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-14-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
I second the ebay idea. Sorry, I didn't mean go hit it with a hammer, or run over with the car and break it. I just meant ride it until it breaks or delams and they'll replace it.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-14-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
if it is a 05 board there might be a chance of there still be warranty on it.

otherwise bondo works good and sand it out smooth or ebay has alot of 05 boards for great prices.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-14-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
Bondo is heavy.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-14-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
What kind of board is it? It should still be under warrantly unless it has been damaged.
Old    shoeish            03-14-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
My LF Trip delaminated and LF won't help me at all... They say only structural stuff.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-14-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
I doubt they would consider it under warranty. There is a large amount of the base missing.. I will take a picture of it tonight and load it tomorrow.
The more I think of it - I don't know that it can be repaired.... or even worth it. The 'wound' is huge... like I said earlier - running the entire length of the board.

The pics should be on tomorrow morning

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-15-2006, 5:18 AM Reply   
Here are a pics of the bottom of the board...

Hope this helps - I still appreciate any suggestions.

I have to load them seperately - I guess they are too big... thanks.

Upload
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-15-2006, 5:42 AM Reply   
Last 2 pics...

Upload
Upload
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-15-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
Bondo would not be that heavy on a fix like that because the depth is only a few millimeters. You could patch that and clearcoat it or change the color on the bottom to one solid color. You should fix it yourself, and it would cost you less than $20 for the materials. If you dont want to repair it, I'd be willing to take it off your hands. One thing is for sure, if you continue to ride it, it will delaminate more and ruin any chance of repair.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       03-15-2006, 6:50 AM Reply   
I used Marine Tex on a customers that she hit the boathouse with, it worked out fine.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-15-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
CWB has warrantied a board like that for a friend of mine before. I'd try that before you mess with it. If you really want to mess with it then use fiberblass resin. Available at any hardware store and easy to work with and sand.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-15-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Hyperlite is awesome about warranties. They warranty stuff that is long past the warranty period. I'd give it a shot sending it back to Obrien. The worse they can say is "no". I sent back a 1 year old Temet to Hyperlite, the front-tip edge was coming apart, it looked like it had been dropped (even though it had not) and they fixed it. (poorly, but fixed) Obrein and Hyperlite were started by the same guy, so the warranty fundamentals might be the same. Heck, they might say "This board is un-repairable, we can send you a new one for $100." I know how tight you are on money (I'm outfitting a new boat right now as well. damn things get expensive)
Old     (westcoastripper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-15-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Hey as long as there is no slider damage they will warrantee it for you, so get obrien's number and call them and ask them about it and what there warrantee policy is.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-15-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Hope Springs - what do you mean by slider damage?

Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-15-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
He means if the board was ever ridin on sliders(rails)No company will warrenty a board if it has been on a slider( rail or slid across a dock, ect)
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-16-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Nate,

Can you e-mail those pictures to me? The board is a 2004 model so technically it's out of warranty but I'll see what I can do...

chrisj@obrien.com
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-16-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
I needed to note here that Chris with Obrien is going to send me a replacement board! I have to say that these guys are awesome - and being new to wakeboarding - I am impressed. I have been snowboarding for years and havnt had this sort of luck with de-lammed boards/pulled edges etc in the past.
I will be an Obrien customer for sure now!

Thank you Chris!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-16-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
I have had Hyperlite replace 2 boards for free that had inserts rip out. Both they replaced with current year models even though one of my boards was 6 years old.