Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-13-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Well it's official, my brother Mike and I and our two girlfriends are staying in Sedona between October 29th to November 5th. We are looking to perhaps hook up with a local rider(s) for a day to hit a lake if at all possible. As usual, we are good for gas money and/or pops. Anyone know of any good places to look at or people to ride with? It would be great to meet fellow Wakeworlders in the area, that is of course if there are any.

Thanks,
Dan
Old    rdizzle            03-13-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
You'll probably have to come down south to the Metro Phoenix area if you are looking for a pull. Sedona is way north of any wakeboarding that I know of.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-13-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
True. Sedona's a bit far.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-13-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
We have a car, with unlimited miles.....no big deal....Im down for a drive...how far is it time wise to the Phoenix area from Sedona?
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-13-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
2 hours to Phoenix from Sedona.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-13-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Actually sedona is less than an hour from Lake Mary, which is one of the best wakeboard lakes in AZ. As for stuff to do in Sedona, go to slide rock. It is a natural rock waterslides. It is free
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-13-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
sedona is beautiful...i used to go up there when i lived in tempe and went to ASU...def. take a trip to slide rock, worth the experience...lots of fun..
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-13-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
Lake Pleasant is the first lake you come to when driving into Phoenix from Sedona - some reasonable water and a good party scene.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of people to take you out.

Pete
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-13-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
Brinks, how busy does Lake Mary get? Is it possible to get decent water up there or is there a lot of other boaters on there?
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-13-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
Ah heck I was about to say it would be a little cold @ lake Mary but being from Canada you will think its still summer. Lake Mary doesnt get busy durring the summer from what I've heard. And durring your dates it should be vacant except for a few hardy fishermen.

You may have trouble finding a pull up there at that time as we desert dwellers would find it cold. We still ride year round down in the valley though.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-14-2006, 6:33 AM Reply   
Hey matty,

You have the same boat as us.

When you say it's cold that time of year, what are the water temps? I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say it would still be trunking weather for us. I am not even looking to spend a full day, even a morning or afternoon would be cool. See by that time we would have just given up boarding up here in Canada and the girls would be happy if we took a trip to sightsee and stuff like that. I could bribe them to let us out for a 1/2 day or a full day depending on how good the bribe is. Like I said, we have a car and money+beer. Or if it's too cold for ya local riders that time of year,we are doing some golfing for any others out there interested.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-14-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Good luck bribing those two...

But yeah, anything above 60 and we trunk it. How cold is the water around that time??

Otherwise, it would be good to slash it around the golf course with some fellow wakeworlders.
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-14-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Right now I think water temps in the 1500-2000 foot elevations are about 55-60 degrees. I think Sedona is near 5000 or 6000 feet. And the middle of October is pretty much the end of summer.... Yeah I can't really guess about Lake Marry temps but you guys will be fine.

We ride all year so no problem catching a ride with us. Send the women off on a nice hike, or jeep tour.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-14-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
Thanks Matt, we will keep in touch before we head down. That would be awesome to hook up for some riding and pops afterwards, or even a game of golf. I cant wait to see the nice state of Arizona. It's gonna be a blowout!
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
Arizona is tight, get down to scottsdale or tempe if your looking for night life.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-14-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
Right on Matt, thanks! We'll make sure to bring you down some Canadian beer! You'll have to put in your order before we come down!

Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-14-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
Lake Mary is crazy cold in late october, its at 7000ft. I rode there in early May with a wetsuit and it was too cold to stay out for more than a few minutes. I don't know what the water temps will be in late october but the air temps will most likely be in the fifties. If you guys can trunk in that then you are truly hardcore!