Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (itsme)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-26-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
My wife and I surf virtually every day here in MN -
we are interested in getting into contests but do not fully understand the differences in the divisions.
Working on bigger ariels, got the 3's and shuvs but not sure how to put this all together for a contest.
Any help would be appreciated -
thanks!
Old    surfdad            07-28-2007, 4:49 AM Reply   
Itsme, did you attend the Lake Washington contest? That one is a very nicely run grassroots contest. Out your way the NWL is the biggest sanctioning body that supports wakesurfing. In fact, the NWL nationals will include wakesurfing and is the only sanctioning body that has a wakesurfing discipline.

I have all the rules, scoring, etc for putting on a contest. Also, NWL has a step-by-step checklist for putting on your first contest that will guide you through the whole process.

In the AWSA rules I refernce above, we give the organizer (you and your wife) the flexibility to add divisions for surf, skim and longboard as needed. For the most part, in a small grassroots contest you probably won't have separate skim, surf and longboard divisions. Most small grassroots contests are split upon gender, age and skill level.

Shoot me an email and I'll be glad to send you the rules as an attachment. Also, I can put you in contact with Tom Regan who organzied the Lake Washington event, Chris Walker of the NWL and our very own Ed Sullivan has extensive knowledge of the ins-and-outs of staging a contest.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-28-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
Secure the venue first.

I'd be happy to provide advice. Tom Regan is more local and rung the Lake Washington event. He would also be an excellent person to talk to.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2007, 10:41 PM Reply   
I believe he's asking about contest runs and judging criteria that would help him as a contestant competing in skim and surf divisions.
Old    surfdad            07-29-2007, 5:34 AM Reply   
Oh! I misunderstood - ENTERING contests, not organizing them. For the most part, smaller grassroots contests most likely won't have this division. The national events will pretty much spell out how the divisions will be judged and the criteria for separation between surf, skim and longboard, as well as other divisions.
Old     (itsme)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-30-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for the information guys.
We are pretty up to speed on contests - actually put together and running the MN Wakeboard Tour.

But we do have interest in adding wakesurfing to the events list next summer - can you email me the rules to cb2224@hotmail.com? We can use them in our planning efforts.

Cheers!