Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
I've been a fan of Rankin covers for the last seven years, and I've used them on my previous two boats.

This last summer I ordered a cover from Pat for my Super Air. I was told it would take three weeks for the cover to be made and shipped. It took five weeks, but I figured a quality cover was worth the wait. When the cover arrived I put in on the boat, and noticed right away the rear straps didn't match the back of my boat. I called Pat's shop and explained to his daughter my situation. She told me she'd leave a message with Pat to call me back. After a week, and no call, I called and them again, and again I was told Pat would call me back. After yet another week, I called again, and this time his daughter asked that I send pics of the issue. I sent pics and asked that Pat call me one more time. When I failed to receive a call this time, I called and caught Pat when he answered the phone. Pat told me how sorry he was, and that If I could bring my boat up north and meet him we could take care of this. We agreed to meet on Thursday of the next week. Well, Thursday arrives, and I've driven my boat to the agreed location, and no Pat. I call and Pat explains that he forgot about our appointment. Pat asks me if he can just stop by my house the following day on his way down to a job. Now by this time I'm no longer in any mood to be patient, but I figure if I want this to get taken care of I had better be civil. I take the day off of work at wait at my house for Pat to come by. When Pat arrives we put the cover on the boat and he tells me without installing tie down pegs on the transom of my boat it won't strap properly. While we are assessing this, I also notice the cinch mechanism on the left side is upside down and backwards. Pat agrees to send me a new cinch and transom pegs for the boat when he gets back to the shop. I wait a week and call back. Of course I get his daughter again and the same line that she will leave him a message. To date I've called for times and have yet to receive the hardware from him.

Nine months and $800.00 later... No resolve.

In my opinion Rankin has completely blown any chances of ever getting my business again. Going forward when I hear someone is considering purchasing a cover from him I'm going to tell this story.

I'm going to call Pat again today and ask for the hardware. I've decided to start providing a daily log on here, Wakeworld, Wakeboarder, and Planet Nautique in an effort to get some sort of resolve.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-19-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
If he is that close why don't you drive to his shop? Make sure you take the top with you and make him fix it while you wait.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-19-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
I feel your pain. I was told 3-4 weeks for the cover. However, it finally arrived after nearly three months. Each time I called, I was informed the cover would be shipping the following week.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-19-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
And I am sure if they would have just said that "it will take about 3 more weeks" this wouldn't be a problem. Patience is a virtue but lying about it is something else. Terrible customer service..... Terrible....
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-19-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
1. Cliff, yep, copy that.
2. He's not that close and is located in the middle of BFE.
3. Seems consistent
4. Not be able to tell bad news that he's going to be late with the cover, seems familiar.

Sorry had to add my opinion. Don't use him anymore.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-19-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
Man, that sucks.. I'd demand a refund and get a cover elsewhere.. The treatment is ridiculous, but being lied to the worst. Good luck w/ the outcome... That is definitely bad business...
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-19-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
yeah that is too bad.... they have a great product... I know my dealer has stopped using them unless specifically requested... not sure if there is a correlation.
good luck getting it resolved...
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-19-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
WOW!! I bought my cover last year for my new 210 and I was told 5-6 weeks for delivery. I had heard the same from other people so I was not shocked. I was however shocked when the cover showed up in Three weeks. I am sorry you guys have had a bad experience with Rankin, but my experience was great. Good Luck with the cover.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Follow up from today.

After I left a message this morning his daughter called me and left a message apologizing for the repeated issues on their part. She asked that I call back so she could clarify what I needed. I called three times this afternoon. I finally gave up trying to get a live person and left a message asking that they call me back again.

I'm going to continue to use my three P's method with this guy until I get my cover fixed or he refunds my money.

Patience
Persistence
Professionalism
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-19-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
Cliff, you can't lose with those's P's. I will never use them but best wishes to you in obtaining the cover you need.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-20-2007, 5:31 AM Reply   
Cliff, I ordered a covercraft for my supra which is very similar to rankin.

All I can say is that the cover fits great and cory is awesome to work with.

When I inquired about getting a rankin last year, i did not feel they really cared about making one or not.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2007, 6:27 AM Reply   
insuranceman,

I was told by a pretty reputable source to go with Covercraft because Rankin had been having issues. I chose to stay loyal to Rankin because they had treated me so well the previous two times. Now I wish I had listened.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-20-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
I second what insuranceman said. I got a Covercraft cover for my 2004 Mobius LSV and could not be happier with the cover or the service I got from Cory. When I was shopping around I got quotes from Rankin and Covercrafts - both in the same range. However, I had follow-up questions that were completely answered by Cory but I got the impression that Rankin wasn't all that interested in my business by the way they responded.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-20-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
wakeshoe, speaking of cory, i just got off the phone with him about a question i had. wow what service.

db
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
No call back today from my message. I'm just gonna keep posting and keep calling.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-20-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
I called Cory before ordering my Rankin but he was not able to make a cover for a Sanger. He was very helpful in answering my questions and a nice guy.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Got a hold of the daughter around four today. She has once again promised me the hardware will be shipped immediately.

I wish Rankin was as good at follow through as they are at apologizing. Maybe I'd have a functional cover by now.

(Message edited by SEATTLE on April 20, 2007)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
Pat came to my house Tuesday, looked over the issues I had with the cover, took it back to the shop, and fixed everything. I got the cover back last night, put it on, and it fits like a glove.

Thank you Pat.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-27-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
well if that wasn't like pulling teeth.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-28-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
Sounds more like a 8 month root canal. Glad it's finally right.