Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
i seem to have a problem with my knees at the moemnt. basicly when i ride and pop off the wake and land they hert. i can walk fine and stuff but wen i sit down on the floor and get back up they hert. also when i go on the trampoline they hert alot.

i have no idea what to do. i am geuessing myself this is from riding alot and trampoling.

what do you think i should do? i duno about knee braces but they bloody hert so any help would be great

cheers
toby
Old    chocobeat            08-14-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
i know you dont want to hear this, but you just need to take a break.. i would feel the same way every year near the end of basketball season.. its just overuse
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-14-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
It could be something called femoral/pateller syndrome or "Jogger's Knee". It's associated with high impact on the joint. I have had that problem in my right knee and now it's starting in my left. Controlled rehabilitation and rest seem to work well for me. Although, this year I ended up getting a coritsone shot in my right knee to help manage the inflamation. Go see your doc and get checked out - they can help manage your pain and get you into a good rehab program. If you have any rehab facilities in your area that specialize in sports medicine, that would be your best bet.

I'm no doctor, just giving an opinion based on my experience and the symptoms you describe. It could also be torn cartilidge or any number of other things. You should definately see a doctor if the pain is bad enough it's affecting your daily routine.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
hmmmm, cheers for the responce. i really couldnt bare to take a break. they hert alot but i can deal with it enough not to take a break. ill take a break at the end of the season.

its not really effecting my daily routine i can walk fine, its just the wakeboarding, skateboarding, tampolining. which i do do alot proberly ride 5 times a week. and skate and tramp alot.

if i go to the deocters they will just say dont wakeboard for 3 months take alot of rest etc

do you think braces would be a good idea?
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-14-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
I wear a petaller brace on my right leg and it seems to help hold things in the right position. If you do have jogger's knee, rehab can help; in certain cases, the problem is caused by a muscular imbalance. Building the right muscle in your legs can help hold the knee cap in a better position while in motion. But, again, only a doctor can determine that and I would recommend getting your brace from a doctor to make sure you get the correct one.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-14-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
It's common name is runner's knee. I have had it for two years now and its a tough one. Here is one of the best sites out there that covers all I have learned about the injury:

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spknees.html

Take care of it now or it will just get worse. I have the time to ride 4-5 days a week but this injury limits me to 2-3 usually.

In my case, tight hamstrings and flat feet (no arch) were the main causes. Solution was to stretch the hamstring and wear orthotics.

And studies have shown that cortisone shots reduce pain over a couple of days or weeks but increase cartalidge deterioration in the long run and from all I have learned are not recommended unless you are a pro and there's an event coming up like the Olympics (see Hannah Teter's experience last Olympics.)

As everyone always says, see a doctor. Most knee problems are lumped into runner's knee, but you may have another problem that only a doctor can diagnose in person. If you like to wakeboard, don't neglect this injury.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-14-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Interesting article. I've had a problem for like the last year after I (snow) ski. I can walk fine and everything, but when I go to climb stairs (up or down) there is a sharp, shooting pain in the kneecap area, which goes away after a few hours of rest. I assumed it was cartilage related, so I didn't have it checked. But it's the main reason I'm trying really hard to convince myself to snowboard instead of ski this year, cuz when I ski all I want to be on are bump runs. Toby - if you're not willing to take a break, maybe just slowing down some on the activites (less aggressive or less often) or icing your knees to reduce swelling inside the joint may help them. I totally understand not wanting to stop - when I broke my foot last year I wanted to ski so badly that I took the liner out of my ski boot so my swollen foot would fit in it! Good luck!
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-14-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
there is also a dietary supplement that is helpful - MSM Condroitin or something like that. I have been taking it so long I forgot the exact name. They advertise it to artritis patients because of its cartilage regenerative qualities. You can get it at the grocery store. Lots of joint supplements. Good even if you don't have a knee injury.
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-14-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
My father-in-law has had two surgeries for a torn miniscus. He takes glucosamine and swears by it; it's supposed to help "lubricate" the joint. I tried it for about 3 months and didn't see any noticeable improvement. If you decide to try it, you have to give it at least 30 days for it to start working.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
Toby.....I bought one of these from Overtons after I started having the same issues....$59. It helps a ton! I'm going to use it for snow too.

I also take Triflex from GNC, and that seems to help a lot with stifness and soreness after I ride.

Upload
Old    awsnow            08-14-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for this post! I have recently started having the same problem. Bought knee braces (its both knees) this past weekend. Good luck to you!
Old     (rob_kc)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-15-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
Uh......Knees hurting and wakeboarding, thats like trying to compare apple and oranges.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-16-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
So...they're really different?
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
Nope, they're the same. The government just wants you to think they are different. And if you disagree, you're a freedom hater.