Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (timsown)      Join Date: May 2005       06-15-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
I may be in Sun River, OR (near Bend) this summer and wanted to know if it would be worth it to take my boat. Anyone know of any good wakeboarding lakes around that area?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-15-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
Not first hand, but there are tons of Lakes not too far from Sunriver. We'll be there the third week of August and we're pulling the boat over. Most lakes are NW or SW of Sunriver. Lake Billy Chinook is a well known wakeboard lake, it's about an hour and a half north. It can get crowded. We're going to head to the lakes closer to Sunriver, tho.....
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-15-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
Tim-
Im from bend and we usually head an hour east to Prineville Reservoir... Billy Chinook can get real crowded and be for hangin out but not riding, Cultus lake is another lake a bunch of riders go to but its a lot colder being fed by a cold spring. Just email me if you wanna know about any other areas
Tyler
Old     (timsown)      Join Date: May 2005       06-16-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
How about Wickiup Reservoir? Looks close, but kinda like a fish bowl.
Old     (nuts4water)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
Cultus Lake is great too. It is not to far from Sunriver. I took my boat to Sunriver a couple of years ago and went to Cultus for a day and cove for 2.
Old    pdxboarder86            06-20-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
Tim I go to that area all the time and if you don't take your boat you will be sorry. That area is one of the most beautful in the country. Their are plenty of lakes and resevoirs to put your boat in. Lake Billy Chinook is an awesome place. It can get busy but imagine 200-300 foot rock walls on each side and the water gets to 200 feet in some areas. It's a huge resevoir. I go there every year and it's a blast. Lot of families so to board you get up early and you will have to about 10:00am to wakeboard before most of the boats get on. At about 6:00 the families go eat and you have until around 9:00 before it gets dark.

Cultus lake is flat out beautiful. It's smack in the middle of the Cascade Mountains with nothing but trees all around. One side of the lake is boat in only which is great. It is cold because it sits around 4,500 elevation but depends on when you are going for the water temp.

Prinville is great for wakeboarding also. It's not as scenic as the other 2.

Heck even if you don't bring your boat you will have an awesome time. Their is tons to do in Bend or Sunriver. But, I say take the boat you won't regret it.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-20-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
What about Orchard lake?
Old    pdxboarder86            06-20-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Steven I'm not sure about Orchard Lake, I've never heard about that lake by Bend. Are you sure there is such a lake named that? There are a bunch of smaller fishing lakes in that area like Crane Prarie, little cultus, Devils,elk, Hosmer, Davis, Deer, Lava, Sparks but I have never heard of Orchard.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-20-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
Brad, I can forgive you for giving up the other lakes in Central OR. But Cultus!!!!! If you go to Cultus watch out for the rocks, it's very cold water & did I mention the bears & misquitos.
Old    pdxboarder86            06-21-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
Haha Randy sorry about that, I did forget about the nasty Bears that eat out of staters but someone has to feed them. I won't tell them about the little lakes you can hike too from Cultus either with trapper cabins on them and fun fly fishing. But seriously Randy are we not some lucky mofo's for living in this area? You can't beat the scenery we get to enjoy.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-21-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
You're right, Orchard lake is in Michigan. I get all mixed up in my old age....

Charley Patterson's aunt owns a resort on a lake just outside of Sisters Oregon. I can't remember the name of the small lake? We had a girls learn to ride clinic out there? Half the lake is a no wake zone, the other half is all angry fishermen! LOL! At least when we were there!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-21-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
This has been bugging me all morning... It's Suttle lake! Had to dig through my photo archives to find the stupid name. And from my recollection, it's not that great of a wakeboarding lake, but beautiful!
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-22-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
We will be hitting Suttle this year for a few quick runs. It's small but about five minutes from our cabin over there. Good for evening sessions.............