Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-03-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
advice from anyone!
I bought the trakker top camera mount...hasn't arrived yet
my goal is to mount my Canon XL1s

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/resource.php

using a pan and tilt unit

http://www.21best.com/21_best/electronic/security/video/pan_tilt/for_sale_.html#Weatherproof

and a remote switch, so that my wife/driver can operate and aim the camera using these tools and the lcd monitor....without having to climb the tower

has anyone here used a pan and tilt?
my problem will be adapting the unit to the tower cam mount

also, there are alot of remotes out there
which 1 is bteer than the others?

I know it seems excessive, but I am going to use the camera for training purposes...and getting those priceless shots of the kids learning to board/surf/ski...ect...

thanks
Cliff

Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-03-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
Cliff, I had the trakker on my boat and I wired in a 7.2" LCD screen. I also did a wired remote to the driver's seat so I could control all the zoom, stop, start ect. I did not have a pan and tilt so I can't help you there but I can tell you that once you set it up you wouldn't need the pan/tilt. The Sony's and Canon's use the same remotes I think. I know there's a third party product I looked into that did both Sony and Canon but I stuck with my sony remote. There's a wired remote for canon at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=GxXJyNYv2r!179186575?O=productlist &A=details&Q=&sku=410314&is=REG&addedTroughType=ca tegoryNavigation that you might want to check out. I ran it all through the tower so there weren't a bunch of ugly wires showing. I had a couple long lasting batteries so I didn't have to wire any power for the camcorder on the tower.

We had some good riders but they all suck behind the camera. It was an awesome setup and we never missed anything after that.

I worked a lot with the guys that make the trakker by testing and giving input. I'm sure you'll be happy with the mount.

Good Luck,
John

(Message edited by jjared on April 03, 2006)

(Message edited by jjared on April 03, 2006)
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-03-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
excellent!
thanks for the response
I guess I will try things without the pan/tilt first and see how it goes
I wonder if we can get the close footage of surfing....without the pan/tilt
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-04-2006, 4:42 AM Reply   
For surfing you'd need it because there's no rope for it to follow. You might want to also look into a wide angle adapter for you lense. I'd like to see some pics of your setup when you are done.
Old     (trakkerguy)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-04-2006, 11:29 PM Reply   
Hey John Jared, long time! Sorry to hear bout your boat. Still haven't got the replacement yet, eh?

Cliff - the pan/tilt motors you're looking at is a good idea. We tried that route a while, but gave up. Is hard to make the smooth start/stops and changes in speed. You certainly are ambitious!
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-18-2006, 5:15 AM Reply   
Bryan, It looks like I might be picking up the 06' X-2. Work and other BS kept me out last year. I can't really get the boat I want so just going to get the one that's available and then sell/trade-in for an 07' with the specs I want.

I'll be looking to get a new setup done on the boat at that time. I really like what you guys have done since the last one I had.