Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (wawakeboarder5)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-11-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
how do the era boards ride finless. we took ours of and were wonderin if it rides better with fins
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-11-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
depends on how you like a board to ride. If you have good edge control and like a board that releases easier off the wake then finless is the way to go. I don't ride an ERA but I do ride an Absolute and finless is the only way to go on it.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-11-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
i had the same dilemma as you a few months back. just try riding with and without fins and see which you prefer. finless felt weird the first few jumps for me but after a while you get really used to it.
but make sure you can edge well with fins before going finless.
i again dont ride an era by the way.
keep the fins in for a while if you are just beginning but as you start to progress, try finless.
also, fins can also get caught up in the middle of surface 180's and on wake to wake landings, if you dont land straight, the fins will cause friction between the water and the board and you will faceplant most likely.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-11-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
Just ride the Era each way and find out what feels better to you. I ride a Gator Boards Gonazales, which has a similair shape to the era, and I like it finless. Finless makes it ride a little more like a snowboard.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-11-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
finless. all the way. riding finless will make u a better rider. teach u how to edge properly. and its way more fun. fins are something that we inheritated from waterskiing. snowboarders dont use fins.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-11-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
hmm funny neither do skateboarders, by God I think we're on to something here...

Personally I'm of the mind that we inherited fins from surfers, you know the other board sport in the WATER!
Old    bdub44            03-17-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
i ride an era and prefer finless, it still tracks good without the center fin
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
Finless all the way!

The fins that are built in are plenty, and as others have said, you'll learn proper edging a lot faster without.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
yeah just take the fins off, its more fun and isnt that what wakeboarding's about.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-17-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
Isn't the Era a revised older Premier shape? I ride an older Premier finless and have no problem with it. I think it is easier to start out the season and ride it finless your first few times out, nothing feels completely natural your first few rides anyway, so you might as well give it a shot.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-18-2006, 4:39 AM Reply   
guys truly taking the center fins out isnt truly riding finless on those types of boards,unless you grind down the four outside fins :-)

only boards like the roam and some boards with 4/6 removable fins can be truly ridden finless ..

however yes riding without center fins changes the ride and helps you get better technique and afeel for true edging...