Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (liebie)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-12-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
Hey I was wondering how to use a trampoline to practice wakeboarding in the off-season?
can someone give me some info on what to do on it? Any help would be great
THANKS
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-12-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Upload

should look something like that...

I just got an old(very) handle and some rope, and got an eyehook and put it into one of the beams under the roof. It also helps to get a swivel joint somewhere in the setup, or the rope will get all twisted, no fun. But have it so it is the perfect length for standing in the middle. then practice flips, spins, flips with spins, I do not recomend jumping with the wakeboard, just asking to get hurt. if you do want to jump with it, just basic spins and grabs is all i would do. You can get the wakeskate with out fins, or for me an old skateboard deck, and practice wakeskating.

be safe, have fun!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-12-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
any jumping u do on the trampoline will help you r wakeboarding. its more about air awareness that helps you. being comfortable in the air. being familiar with goin upside down and landing back on your feet. thats how the trampoline helps. now u can hook up a rope to something, like a fence post or a tree, and simulate holding the handle like u are wakeboarding. this is good for being used to holding the handle, passing the handle and things like that, but the only problem is it doesnt simulate the pull of the boat. the pull of the boat keeps the rope tight. so while u are jumping, unless you constantly jump away from the rop, it will be loose. so basically using a rope and handle is good for just being used to holding it and not letting go. i have found that its better to train on the tramp when u cant ride. the biggest thing is that it helps with air awareness and being comfortable with being in the air.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            03-12-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
heres a tramp video of me practicing
Old    cwbabsolute1080            03-12-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/Short-tramp-video_wakeboarding-video.html?medid=16241
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-12-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
May I suggest a safety net. The person that suggested I get a trampoline suggested I get the safety cage. At first I thought, nah, I don't need the safety net. then as I was buying the tramp, I thought eh, an extra $99...Ok..

The net has saved my a$$ countless times. My tantrum went to crap about a year ago, I would throw it really early and get no air. Same thing while trying to relearn it on the tramp. I'd jump, and before I was in the air, I'd lean back really hard. The problem is that I'd jump back wards about 6 feet. When I'd land, I'd stumble backwards and hit the net with a lot of speed. Had the net not been there, I would have gone off the tramp on my back.. or worse, trip on the edging and gone in on my head. $99 seems like a lot, but it only takes once for it to pay for itself.

Good luck!
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-12-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
with the net.... ehhh.... it is up to you... i personally do not use a net, because i can easily jump over it, and do not want to hit it on the way up or down. Then again i am experinced on the trampoline, my entire life. I think being safe on, and staying in your limits will save you more than a net. I have never fallen off the trampoline. If you want to learn flips, have someone who knows how teach you how to do it, when you are still new to it, dont jump alone, if you break your neck there wont be anyone to help you.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-12-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
There is a great new product coming out in about a month. It is a GURU Tramp board. My daughter has a prototype and she is killing on it. she is doing fronts and backs with the board on . It will simulate having a board on your feet. Have no idea what these boards will sell for but they are excellent. I paid aprox $300 for the prototype and it is well worth it. My daughter should be doing inverts this year at a young age of 7. Mike Ferraro is helping with this so you know it will be top end. Check out WBM in the near future, I know Dallas and Phillip did a photo shoot for GURU to be in the mag very soon.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
Taylor,
How is the Guru Tramp Board different from the Bounce Board that cost about $99 that has been out there for sometime? The Bounce Board that we have works great.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
GET THE NET. There's no way I would have ever pushed myself to the limit without a net. It's saved me numerous times.

I screwed some old shoes onto a board I made to use for practice. It makes everything alot harder. You can see it in this video of me I made a few years ago.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/Trampoline_wakeboarding-news.html?medid=6583

Here's a low quality frame grab from the vid.
Upload
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-12-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
Cheeseman This was custom made for my daughter that is why the cost was there. I have no idea how much they will cost when marketed. I had it custom to her stance and size board. I am not familiar with the Bounce Board so im not quite sure how this one is different.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-12-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
Just checked out the Bounce Board. It is the exact same concept just much more of a Cadillac version. This one has actual snowboard bindings with extra foam in the bindings for comfort. Is it better? Dont know, it looks like the GURU has a closer to actual weight as a wakeboard would be. It looks like the GURU will be a better version is all. Both have the same idea.
Old    tcboarder            03-13-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
you should post a pic of the GURU board i would like to see what this one looks like.
thanks, Kevin
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-13-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
Brad-

You should pick up a copy of 'the book'. There is a lot of tramp training on that vid for every trick.

If you are new to trampolines, I would also recommend the net. If you get real good and want to take it off later you can. However, it will save your @$$ when you first start trying inverts if you have never done them before.
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       03-13-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
is the nbest way to learn how to do flips and such is learning how on a trampoline..also how much does the average cheap tramppoline cost?
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-13-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
here is a pic of the GURUUpload
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-13-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
Shots of the Guru tramp board
Upload
Upload
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-13-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
YOU CAN BUY A CHEAP TRAMP AT WAL MART FOR AROUND $150
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-13-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
UploadhERE IS A PIC OF dALLAS ON THE BOARD ALSO
Old     (liebie)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-13-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
Thanks guys...all of this is a big help.
Now i will beable to practice some more tricks and hopefully hit them on the water.
Still waiting on the warm weather to show up here in ohio.
Old    tcboarder            03-13-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
wow, i think ill have to pick one of those up when they start selling them, that looks alot better then my skateboard with shoes duck taped to it. thanks for the pics.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-13-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
i think i'm gonna get down with the trampoline this summer to get my inverts down(basically to progress since i havent done one yet). You guys suggest any basic brand that i can buy relativly easy. Where can i get one that is the best bang for the buck.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
Get one with springs, not bands. They last longer and are easier to replace
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-14-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
What does everyone think of this tramp? Decent? I've actually seen it online at trampoline websites for like $350 or so.

Bazoongi Projump
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=171150

Here's the same one for $350.
http://www.mylifestylesusa.com/products/products_15trampoline/products_15trampoline.html

(Message edited by tparider on March 14, 2006)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-14-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
Another q - if you get the enclosure, how do you use a rope and handle? Can you cut a little hole in the enclosure and tie the rope to a nearby tree? Or do those of you who use enclosures not use a rope/handle at all?

thanks
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-14-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
if you can try the trampoline out before buying it, do it, see how bouncy it is. alot of the circle ones i have been on are very hard, and hurt alot more to fall on. it does hurt to fall on mine, but its like ridding at 15 and at 25 for the ammount of hurt you get.
Old    rdizzle            03-14-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
you tie the rope and handle to the top of one of the enclosure poles. no need to cut anything.

I would steer clear of walmart type trampolines. its not worth the hassle of short spring life, weak frames, low quality mats, flimsy enclosures (if applicable), a questionable warranty, etc.

I bought this one after doin some research.
http://www.supertrampoline.com/product13.html

There are better ones out there for a higher price, but for the money, it was the best option for me.

I've had it for for about 4 months with no problems and the enclosure has held up great when bounced into it.

As far as bounce goes, it is high and soft landing for someone who is 5'8 155lbs. Ive got some guys that are 6'0+ 180-190 that bounce pretty good on it as well.

(Message edited by rdizzle on March 14, 2006)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
I have a wal-mart tramp.. I've also done a significant amount of gymnastics.

The Wal-mart tramp is very flimsy. It some times surprises me that it stands up on it's own. Aside from that it works ok. My only concern with it is the that the springs are very small. (a very light weight gage) -- we stretch some out while assembling it. If you had 2 or 3 (heavy) people jumping on it, it'd stretch the springs and ruin the bounce. If it's just you and you're not going to use it everyday, then it's an ok Tramp.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-14-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
I knew that practicing on a tramp would be helpful for inverts and so on, but being the old fart that I am (37 y.o.) I was afraid to try backflips and front rolls on our home trampoline for fear of landing on my head and breaking my neck.

I found a local gym that has olympic-type trampolines (the ones that have a net-type canvas), a harnest system and of course coaches. This was very helpful in overcoming fear, learning how to land properly and avoid very serious injuries. They also have other goodies for training like a foam pit, vault etc..

I continue to go to that gym on a regular basis. As a side benefit I get to watch other (more gifted) jumpers and learn new skills. In particular, the pro snowboard team trains at this gym and it's a real blast to watch.

Best of all, it's all indors, perfect for us Canadians who have to put up with bad weather 8 months out of the year. Off-season training has never been so much fun!

Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
If anyone is in or near Orlando check out Ryan Jones with Anti-Gravity. He is one of the best wakeboard coaches with a tramp. My daughter has been going to him the last few months and her progress has sky rocketed. He is a gymnast and rides on the PWT so he knows both ends of it. He has harnesses and so forth also. If anyone wants to get ahold of him email me and I can get him in touch with you.