Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-08-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
I just bought an Oniell Boost dry suit last Friday. This was the most expensive of 4 suits I looked at. I went with Oniell because the dealer told me that they are so good about returns and warranty.

3 different people about the same size tried it and it leaked at the neck with all 3 of us. It doesn't seem to have a defect, it just doesn't seal well. I decided that dry suit meant "dry" and I tried to return it.

The dealer called Oniell and Oniell basically said tough luck. If it's been in the water, it's non returnable. We could send it back to Oniell to have them look at it and they'll have it back to me by a month or two.

The other suggestion they made was to fold the neck collar inside out for the top one inch or so to double it up for the top part.

Has anyone tried this? Is that what your really supposed to do?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-08-2005, 6:20 PM Reply   
Yes, try that it should work. That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Whatever you do DON'T trim the neck seal. Only trim the latex seals for fit. (wrists and ankles)
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-08-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
For me the sacrifice of a little water on headers is worth it for the comfort of the neopreme type neck seal. You can go with another suit that has a standard latex seal, it wont leak as much, but is uncomfortable has hell.

Now i am assuming the suit only leaks on head first falls. Mine rarely leaks for normal falls. You can try various ways of folding and rolling the neck, but I just wear mine straight up. I have seen others using the doubled up method you sugested.

Also, dump the t-shirt or cotton sweat shirt and get yourself a fleece under shirt and it wont mater that you get a little water in there anyway.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-09-2005, 5:56 AM Reply   
how big are you and what size did you get?
I am about 5'8" and 150lbs. I have a medium and it doesn't leak very much. As Troy said if I take a bad header it will leak a little but no bigie. If you are getting soaked it may be too big of a size.
I would also recommend not letting others wear your suit. That just equals more wear and tear on it. No one wears my dry suit but me. Most of my friends have their own anyway. It saves time from having to keep changing in and out of it.
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-09-2005, 6:04 AM Reply   
The suit is definately the right size. I think I agree that a little water for the comfort is worth it. I'm going to try my neoprene shirt, so the leakage won't bug me as much.

The other people using my suit are my teenage and 25 yr old sons. (yea, I'm an old fart) they can't afford their own and I need a driver and spotter.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-09-2005, 6:31 AM Reply   
Drysuits are going to leak a little bit. It sounds like you're maybe expecting too much. When you crash, a little water is going to get forced through the seals.

The best thing you can do is burp as much air out of it as possible. When you get in the water, let more air our of it by pulling the neck seal. I usually pull my suit off to find the top half of my shirt a little wet depending on how hard I wrecked. I try to use my snowboarding underwear because it doesn't absorb water.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-09-2005, 6:38 AM Reply   
Yeah I have had mine for 3 years and mine only leaks around the neck if I take a bad header...
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-09-2005, 6:48 AM Reply   
Al,

a little water is ok... I have too seen people and used the fold under technique. J-Rod is spot on though with releasing the built up air.

After riding a bunch of suits, I have noticed the suits with the straight rubber seals ( BARE ) seem to work better for keeping water out. The suits with the rubber & neopreane are 3x more comfortable but in my experiance tend to leak a little more, espicially around the neck.

-=peace=-
Lzy
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-09-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
We always fold it over - you have to, it's so long! And occasionally I get a little water on your fleece top, but it's not like it's soaking wet.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-09-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
You could always work on bulking up your neck through lifting.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-09-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
Duct tape stylish and usefull.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-09-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Or you could just start getting fat like me. All of my gear gets tighter every year.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       11-09-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Just get a long zip tie.... problem solved...

Funny to hear your dealer talk about the warranty and return policy on the O'neil dry suits.... It's not worth the premium compared to other brands for less than half the cost... and the "warranty" is not that good.... for those that have been on WW for a while... you may recall the duct tape pics... yeah he finally got a replacement…
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-09-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
I'm going to try the fold over/in on Friday. I think I can live with the little bit of water for the extra comfort.

Thanks for the comments.
Al
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-09-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
Warranties are as good as your dealer!!!

For example. If I took a brand new- used once suit back to my dealer, they would hand me a new one, give me my money back, or waterever, for any reason. I was trying on wetsuits two weeks ago. They said "buy it, use it, if it doesn't feel right, bring it back." It's all a matter of how cool your dealer is, and the relationship YOU have estblished with your loyalty and customer referrals. If you dealer is going to be like that, I would hopefully find another.

A good dealer will take care of you quick, then assume the burden of the manufacturers warranty policy.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-09-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
Just, like J-rod said all dealer relationship. I had one instance where my gal got me a board for my b-day. I broke it a week later took it to the store where she got it and they didn't want to do anything about it. I took it to the dealer I always delt with they gave me a new one no questions asked and also knew I did't purchase it from the. I will soon be opening a shop and the main focus will be to please my customers and treat them like I want to be treated. (I will miss that dealer and might still use them if I need things I don't have or send my customers to them
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-09-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
Would a shameless plug kill you guys?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-09-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
OK SKI WORLD in castro valley ROCKS.
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-14-2005, 7:21 PM Reply   
I just tried it again with the collar turned in like they said.
No leaks!
I bought 1 more for my 11 year old. It's way big, but no leaks.