Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    bonnerbonner            08-17-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
im thinking about getting a 138 parks biolite. what do you guys think about it our what would you prefer over it. thanks
Old    sonicr1            08-17-2003, 9:25 PM Reply   
I recently purchased one. I demo'd it and the LF Substance. I preferred the pop of the Parks, but preferred the loose feel of the Substance (without the center fin). This is not to say the Substance didn't have pop, it did!!! Then when it came down to the final purchase it was economy that sold me. I am not a big fan of Hyperlite, but I found it on sale at the place I demo'd it, so I payed $275 (I thought it was a good deal!!!)... I put .7 A wing fins on it, and I am more than pleased with my purchase... because it is now as loose as the Substance, and it hooks better on edge, not to mension it still has better pop.

Just my $.02

Old    troyb            08-17-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
I was torn between the parks 138 and the substance also. But 2 weeks ago I saw that buywake had the parks in closeout, so I picked it up for $315. It's a pretty sharp looking board. I love it so far, but I went from a fluid to this one so it's a helluva lot better. Big pop, but it's a little slippery...you've got to get your landings right on or it'll slip out from under ya. It's still getting used to it but I'm sure it'll be an even better board in a few weeks.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-18-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
I demo'd the 143 board a few weeks ago and found that it was really soft landing on huge air. To me the board was a little slippery, you realy have to be hard on edge to maintain control. But I think once you get used to it you will like it.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            08-18-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
Sorry Pierce, but I disagree with the looseness comment. My brother in law has the Parks 138 biolite and it is a great board. I ride a Hyperlite Premier 140 with no center fin and that is LOOSE (but I like it that way). I have ridden his Parks 138 several times and was amazed at how easy it is to lock an edge into a hard turn. The board tracks frantastic and is very forgiving. I didnt find the pop to be nearly as good as the Hyperlite Byerly 137 or the Premier 140 (could be b/c I was not used to the board) but the Parks is superior in edging, landing, and being forgiving (great board to learn how to ride switch on b/c it tracks so well). It is not a loose board and if you like doing butter slides or other sliding tricks you run a risk of catching the rail or one of the 4 fins.
There are several Parks 138's for sale (New) on Ebay right now if that interests you.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            08-18-2003, 9:24 AM Reply   
Bonner, another thing I just thought of - I am about 175 lbs and found the 138 a little small. You might want to consider getting the 143 if you are a larger person.
I would ride a bigger Premier if they made them.
Old    sonicr1            08-18-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
I am 6', 185, and the 138 has been fine for me.

I agree about it sticking stock... I took the fins completely off one day, and found that it sticks on edge without the fins... the deep rails hold well!!!

That's why I went to the .7s... I love the way it rides now!!!

It is very forgiving, except for the edges... you catch it and you are done!!! But that really applies to all boards... :-)

I rode a buddies 01 Byerly and the Parks had more pop (I know they changed a bit in 02, so this may not apply to the new ones).
Old    wakeboard_iraq            08-18-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
My Byerly was an 02 - but some a@$hole stole it. Like I said, I just was not used to the board - that could have been the reason I didnt go up very high.
Old    bonnerbonner            08-18-2003, 3:22 PM Reply   
thanks alot for the help. iwould demo a couple boards but its a pretty good distance to houston before i can get to a shop, even though we get to ride 4 times a week. thanks again for your help