Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   
We were up riding at Lake Sonoma last Friday evening and got a ticket for riding after dark.

If you ride Lake Sonoma, you know it doesn't get good until the wind dies down and everyone else heads home (about 8:00). We were riding and all was good, but we did notice a black and white jet ski (actually a wave runner), was just hanging around and watching. There were no markings on the jet ski and the rider wasn't wearing the usuall sheriff's orange vest. We rode until about 9:00, I thought it was still reasonably light out. We put away our gear an headed back to the marina, when idling through the no wake zone we saw the sheriff coming from the dam side of the lake with his lights on. He came right over and stopped us to ask if we had been riding after dark. My reply was we rode until we thought it wasn't safe anymore. The sheriff started down the path of riding is only allowd until the sun has set (I think it's still pretty light out then) and how it is a misdemeanor, etc. Just then the black and white jet ski pulls up and the Sheriff says, my jet skier radioed me that we were out riding after dark. He then proceded with the have you been drinking lecture and a sobriety test (I only had one beer though). Finally the Sheriff said he wouldn't give me the ticket for riding after dark, but a ticket for violating state park rules, he said he didn't know how much the fine is, but it would like be more than $100 but less than the $275 riding in the dark fine. I'm sure he knew exactly how much it was but didn't want to argue with me. Then he began to lecture my crew on how he could give them a ticket for riding under the influence (what is that? a RUI ???)

Anyways, be on the look out for the jet ski sheriffs at lake sonoma (and else where). Hopefully on your lake the jet ski sheriff would just come over and tell you it's time to get out of the water, rather than wait then NARC you out.

Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Technically wouldn't the rider (sheriff) on the PWC be breaking the law being out after dark?

That is unless the PWC has been equipped with some type of lighting system.

I would make a citizen's arrest and negotiate. :-)
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2003, 1:02 PM Reply   

Top this one - We were on Sonoma Brad Saturday morning starting at about 9:00am. We rode a few times then headed back to the Ciao Bella to hang out. We all had been kicken it on the houseboat upper deck having a few beers, I saw the black Skidoo/Waverunner floaten around the Marina but did not think much of it but the guy was always on a 2-way radio. We decided to take a ride and as we were loaden in the boat 'Guess who comes around the front of the houseboat' Yes the Sherriff. So he pulled up next to the boat and asked if we have been drinking heavly. Luckly I had taken the keys out of my boat. He ask if we were going some where & I said "NO". So you know where it went from there.

KEEP YOUR EYE'S OPNE WHEN ON LAKE SONOMA.

Mike@wakeon
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   

Chaun - good call dude - how come we as boat owners have to have running lights on at dusk, but the Sherriff can run around busting everyones balls with-out light's. Hmmmm???

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2003, 1:14 PM Reply   
Yes there were no lights and he was haulin ass all over in the dark. One time he came straight at us and I ended up basically driving around him. Now that's what I would call un safe boating.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   

I think we need to pay a litle visit to the sherriffs office on the way up to Sonoma this week and see whats up. The new Sherriff that is on the lake is a real Ass*&@#. They are handing DUI'S out left & right, When your ride'n or out on the water keep the adult beverages to a minimum who ever is driven bevcause they are on a mission up there and they will hunt you down.

Mike@wakeon.com
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-21-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
Mike,saw you there,was wondering why you were'nt riding much.
It seems to me they like hasseling wakeboarders,I see stuff all the time up there and nothing ever happens to those people.
Wednesday I saw people tubing with no observer,right by the sherriff's cove!What's up with that?
As far as DUI'S go,your gonna see alot of that there.Sonoma is the land of the stupid,white trash,first time,boater.Don't believe me,go to the public launch,pull up a chair and watch for a half hour.Very entertaining.

Riding while wasted is not a good idea either.One of my riders was drunk,and got close to this bass fisherman,sprayed him and gave him the finger.He took down my CF numbers,and I received a written warning in the mail. I WAS PISSED!!!!
They said they could kick me off the lake!No Shiz.
Like it or not,you are responsible for all the people in your boat,and what they do.

Did you see the little kids,about 12 years old ,
on the jet ski's under the bridge! 2ea kids on 2 jet ski's.WTF!!!!!
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   

Yeah - I saw you, It just way to crazy of a day to be rid'n. I went a few times then just threw in the towel for the day. As for the Stupid people on Sonoma YES, They are all over that lake. That is why we ride early am then watch all the idiots all day long. I did see the KIDS on the ski-doos, What was up with that, Where were there parents. Oh yeah - they were on the shore drinking a 22oz smoken there cig's.

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-21-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   
To true.They were probably the ones that pulled up,2 feet from the asphault,in the middle of the launch ramp,to let one of there low lifes out to get the truck. Smokin ,drinkin,and cussin at each other.
Do you still got the WAKE-ON visors?If you do, next time I see ya I'll buy one from ya.

Sorry I did'nt stop,wife and kids actually wanted to ride.Daughter hasn'nt ridden in about 2 years,got spooked by the heavy traffic at Sonoma.She's back into it now,so I'm stoked.
I'll holler at ya next time I see ya.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   

Rich - where are ya gonna be this weekend???? Would ya like to hhok-up one night this week and ride??? Let me know.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-21-2003, 4:18 PM Reply   
how bout obeying the law?

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-21-2003, 7:16 PM Reply   
Timmy:I am always down with the law,there just never where I want them to be.You know ,when you see that guy totally screwed up,and you wonder,where the hell are the cops.

Mike;tell me when,and I'll be there.I got gas money,and all my own eqipment.I can go Thurs,Fri,after work,or Sat in the morning. I ride I love to go.You are also more than welcome to come ride with me and my friends on the old skool Sanger.
Old    neal_b            07-23-2003, 4:32 PM Reply   
Like it or not, if you are DUI, then you get busted for DUI. Sounds fair to me. I sure dont want to be out on the lake with drunks driving boats. As for the RUI, here in Oklahoma its called public drunk but is seldom enforced.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-23-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
Neal,I agree with you completely.I kind of think the rider and the spotter should be sober too.I'm all for having a beer,but there are limits.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-24-2003, 6:33 AM Reply   
If your going to drink and just hang out then you should just drink and hang out. Driving a boat with a big buzz is not smart especially when pulling a rider. I like to have a few beers and hang out but never when I'm driving the boat or when I'm riding. Just my opinion.
Also, the law is the law and riding after the designated time is against the law. The cop probably should have come over and warned you not ride after the sun sets. I think first time should get a warning. Anyways, it's much more dangerous to ride when visibility is poor. Also, at my lake the bass fishermen come out when it starts getting dark. They go about 70 mph trying to get wherever and if a boarder was in the water it could be tragic. Once again just my opinion.
Rich- If a boarder or skier sprayed my boat and flipped me off I would probably chase them down and "talk" to them about why the hell they did that. That is not cool to do that to anyone. I think your lucky you didn't end up in a fight.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-24-2003, 6:52 AM Reply   
Get this - in Michigan you can board an hour after sunset (and an hour before sunrise). I was out the other day - legally - and it was really dark! Not going to argue though...
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-24-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   

..Maybe I should re phrase what I ment by Having a few beers. We were on the houseboat for about 3 hours and we only had two beers each in thta time frame. As for what Rich said, I'm down for pounden down a few beers, we know our limit and are very responsiable boaters/drivers. Now for riding after dusk, The sun is going down over the hill at about 8:45pm, On the lake they call 7:00pm "DUSK", not sure why, I have been on lake Sonoma now since 1985, this is the 1st season that I have seen the Sherriff's & the Core sighting people for every little thing. If you have been on Sonona then ya all will agree with Brad & Walt.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-24-2003, 8:30 AM Reply   
Mike- I understand what your saying. Unfortunatly a lot of people don't just have one or two in a 3 hour time span. I think we have all seen idiots out there that are boating drunk. Thanks for clarifying.
On our lakes the sheriffs department doesn't patrol only the wildlife resource agents. I have only been stopped once and he just asked to see all the required stuff.
I was hastled once by a park ranger. I was pulling my boat out of the water and pulled about 200 ft. out of the way and he told me he could give me a ticket for pulling a boat down the road with my wife in the boat. This wasn't a main road it was a little side road to the dock inside the park. So I can't imagine being messed with like you have been.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-24-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   

Dude - they are hard core right now. "NO TOLLERANCE" is what they told me. I know the type that party all the time on the lake. Its just that some of the NEWBIE'S have put a bad tasta in the Sherriffs mouth and now they think that all wakeboards are punk-ass's. You can be done with a set and just floaten and they will cruise up to you to check your registration, life jacket count, ect. & then if they see a beer can or something Your back at the dock for blowing to see if your over the legal limit.

WOW!!!!!!!
Old    mike_rennie            07-24-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
Hey, your just lucky they let you drink at all alchohol is banned on Folsom Lake, except in the campgrounds. It's a $400 dollar fine if you have an open container.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-24-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   

Wow - Well there are times I wished that would be the case at Sonoma, I have seen some pretty intoxicated boaters out there that should not be on the water at all.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-24-2003, 3:42 PM Reply   
Wilson,I just wanted to address what you said.The rider that did that is no longer welcome on my boat,and for that matter,on several of my friends boats as well.That instance,as well as a few others took it's toll,and it just makes wakeboarders in general look like a bunch of punks.Not the kind of image we want.

Mike,I'm off tomorrow so we're going early in the morning.If you don't have to work,your welcome to come along.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-24-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   

Rich I have to go to the City tomorrow to look at a job tomorrow so I'm gonna have to take a rain check, if your around Saturday morning or Sunday morning lets try to hook up.

E-mail me at mike@wakeon.com and shhot me your #.

L8TR
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2003, 6:31 AM Reply   
Rich- smart move. Your right, people like that give us all a bad name.