Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
I was riding sunday night, and i was doing a switch 3 when i slid out a bit over my toes, and as i went into the water, i felt an extremely sharp pain in my thumb.

i looked at my thumb, and it was covered in blood with shards of something sticking out of it, i then looked to my side and caught a glimpse of what looked like a fish with a jacked up fin.

the best we could come up with is that i slapped a fish and got peices of its fin lodged into my thumb. The back of our nautique was turned into a miniture and painful game of operation wich only resulted in more blood and swelling.

now heres my question, how did i find the one spot on a 7 mile long lake where there is a freakin fish waiting for me?!

i mean honestly what are the odds of hitting a fish!?

the good news is if i caught its fin, theres a fish somewhere in my lake that can only swim in circles...
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
Odds are decent. I had a fish jump out of the water and stab me in the shin last season. No one in the boat saw it, but I started freaking out because I couldn't believe it happened, and my leg was bleeding (not bad). I ended up with a nice little scar
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-03-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
I think there was a thread on here with pirhannas in some lake. Maybe it was a pirhanna?
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       07-03-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
There was a sturgeon on some river I think FL last week that jumped out of the water and knocked a jet skier out cold. They probably deserved that though.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
Im in the middle of arkansas, we dont have pirhannas.

it scared me more than anything, my thumb looks like i was playing with barbed wire, and its still really swollen.

im hoping its down by tommorow so i can ride
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-03-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
...hope you cleaned it out real good! Fish fins can carry lots of bacteria.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-03-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
lets see a picture of your thumb!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-03-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
my friend killed a fish with her foot while barefooting. thankfully her foot was ok just a little bruising.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
yeah we flushed it through with anti biotics and everything, its super clean.

and david id totally give you a picture but my sister has our camera
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-03-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
Dang Caleb!.....you are havin some bad luck this year!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-03-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
did anyone see the segment on the news about the flying asian carp in the Mississippi river? It was nuts, these guys were cruising down the river and tons of huge fish were jumping in the boat hitting these dudes in the chest and head!

here is a video, watch past the dude talking to see it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8OmEr7VqI
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-03-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
this video is way better... just the first minute or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7zkTnQVaM&mode=related&search=
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-03-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Another episode of "When Fish Attack".

http://www.wftv.com/news/13612090/detail.html
LOL

The gulf Sturgeon migrate up the Suwanee river in North Florida and can jump 8 feet in the air and get as big as 200 pounds. That woman on the jet ski I think suffered a broken arm. People in boats aren't even safe when these things leap....this other lady had a spinal fracture, needed plastic surgery to her face and it caused $1,000 damage to the boat!
http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_115135858.html

You need body armour to ride the Suwanee.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-03-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
Also, I have had "killer" shad jump in the boat before, after driving through a school of them.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-03-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
I'd second the clean it well. Last year on a house boat a kid hauled up a small catfish. It came off the hook on the back deck. The kids father went to push it back into the water with his foot and caught one of the "wiskers" in the ball of his foot. Very small puncture wound that broke the skin, hurt, but nothing crazy. Three days later his whole foot (up the ankle) was swollen and turning all kinds of colors. Luckily all the swelling and colors happened after they were home, so they were able to get to the doc. What started out as nothing big, got pretty nasty
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
he should have gotten the catfish wound checked out, catfish are pousinious,

dont worry, lol, its clean as can be.

and jeff, I KNOW MAN

its like as soon as im healed from one thing its like something else injures me.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-03-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Here is part two of that asian carp video, OnlyInboards posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA&mode=related&search=

That first part of part one was funny, but these fish are a real problem. Holy crap.
Old     (wakeboardwade)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-03-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
i ran over a duck, if you guys were intrested.
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
As my buddy was was waiting for the boat to get the slack out of the line, a fish jumped outta the water and hit him in the forehead...that was funny sh!+
Old     (kalenk)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-03-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
these piss me off the worse, especially
when they jump in the boat http://www.hellscanyonsportfishing.com/images/sturgeon%20pictures/Kevin%20&%20Sturgeon%202.jpg
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-03-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
i got a sea-doo sportster boat and my friend was sitting backside, you know its a 4 place boat 3 in a row and 1 spotter looking baclkward the boat when we was cruising the lake a fish that look like a big bass jump out of the water end slam my buddie back of the shoulder (the one that was sit backward) he was scared as ****, he never think about it, was so hilarous !!!!
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-03-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
my uncle and his friends caught a 7 foot stergeon in idaho, and in the backround a the picture you could see a kid wakebording
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-03-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
i got a sea-doo sportster boat and my friend was sitting backside, you know its a 4 place boat 3 in a row and 1 spotter looking baclkward the boat when we was cruising the lake a fish that look like a big bass jump out of the water end slam my buddie back of the shoulder (the one that was sit backward) he was scared as ****, he never think about it, was so hilarous !!!!

I take it you didnt proof read this before you posted it huh?
Old     (kalenk)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-06-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
HHAHAHAHAHAHHAH
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-07-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
im sorry but i was really typing fast and dindnt read it before posting it, and glad you have fun of people tring to make their best to speak other language than my primary, please can you translate all my post in french now we will laugh punk !