Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (redhedstepchild)      Join Date: May 2003       05-28-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
Any boat techs have any tips for me when I put a long block in my '04 Moomba Mobius XLV? Before you bash the Moomba, know that this is completely my own fault. I didn't winterize, and the block split on both sides. I'm getting the engine from US Engines in WA, they have an 8 year/unlimited hour, transferrable warranty. I've done many car/truck engine swaps, but never a boat. I'll take it in to the dealer to have them align the drive when I'm done. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
I did a long-block swap in an I/O back in the day. fyi, one of the catches I ran into was that the standard engine warranty only applied to automotive engines. The moment I said "marine" they wanted to increase the price of the long block 4 times over.

just a heads-up. that's all I got..
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-28-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
Shay, I'd be interested to see some pictures of your project as you get it done. Much like you I've done several automotive swaps, but haven't done it on a boat yet. Sorry, but I'm not much help. Just by looking at my set up I would "think" the boat should be much easier..Just my thoughts.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-29-2007, 3:47 AM Reply   
I've pulled and replaced a couple I/O's, never my V-drive. In general I think boats are easier than cars. Fewer attachments (power steering, A/C) and electronics. One challenge on a boat is the height of the lift. You can't pull with a standard engine hoist, overhead chain fall with 10 foot lift is the best way. I also suggest removing all hatches and seats in the rear of the boat, then cover the gel-coat to protect from tool dings, climbing in & out, etc.

You might try seperating the transmission from the v-drive and leaving the v-drive in place.