Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-16-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
Just wanted to share with you guys a little booklet I put together for this season to keep on the boat. It pretty much puts good driving in a nutshell to those completely clueless.
Thanks for checking it out!

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-16-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
I don't know about running the blower when the rider is back there......The engine AND the blower should be off!
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-16-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
Big Ed ... I have talked to a few people about this, and everyone has said that you can run the blower the whole time without any risk. I dont see any problem with running it while the rider is preparing on the swim deck.

Roddyrod ...Your digram about weighting the boat is opposite..... in the paragraph, you say move wieght to the washy side, which is correct, but in the picture and green letters, you have it doing the opposite.... just something I noticed!! looks good though.
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
Do you guys shut off the motor inbetween riders everytime?
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-16-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
dude you should send that one to press, great job
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-16-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
Without any risk to what?

I just don't want to sniff that crap before I ride....
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
I congratulate you on the creativity! Very nicely done. And I also noticed your instruction on shifting weight because of a washy wake was contradictory to the diagram's instruction.

All in all, good job!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
the double up depends on the rider ive found out.

some like a straight up 90* turn and others like more mellow turns.

i just ask my rider normally what they want the double up to do
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-16-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
Nice complete directions. No matter how good the directions, they can't replace experience behind the wheel.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-16-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
Nice complete directions. No matter how good the directions, they can't replace experience behind the wheel.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-16-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
i think u should change the title... Not everyone is gonna be drivin a mastercraft... Just an idea... otherwise great directions.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the write-up!
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-16-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Good stuff.. maybe I should print out on show my brother.... or dad... hahhaha they tend to do their "own thing" and like sweet gadual turns that take 3 mins!!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-16-2007, 10:38 PM Reply   
54... yeah, everytime... no need to 1) smoke out my rider 2) CO poisoning kills 3) wastes valuable fuel/ballast.
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
Thanks John,
When I had an I/O i used to always shut the engine off everytime when switching riders for obvious safety reasons. But when i got an inboard, a friend of mine told me there was no need to shut the engine off. He said that starting and stopping is bad for the ignition and battery. I hardly killed the engine in a day and I noticed i wasted so much fuel! I have been asking around and just about everyone has told me they kill the engine all the time in a day. I have a second battery so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks just wanted hear what others were doing.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
Ed the blower ventilates the bilge, there shouldn't be anything smelly in there, no exhast gases should come out of the bilge unless you have a muffler or exhast manifold leak.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-17-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
I think Big Ed is refering to the gas fumes, which is the reason for the blower in the 1st place. Depending on your setup(carb or efi) and or age of boat, The blower may or may not be sending fumes to the rider.
Billy I think this was a booklet he put together to keep on his boat which I assume is a Mcraft.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-17-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
If you fix your picture (green arrow) and post a link I'd buy a laminated copy of one from you for 5 bucks.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-17-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
I think the boat cops may have something to say about clockwise turns.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-17-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
bob, thats true. but, its a lot easier to hand a new driver this write-up than to be patient and explain it all. hell, i'd give to the "experienced" drivers too.

Nice animations! I was thinking about a few things that you could add, but they may be topics for a different article. great job!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-17-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
You friend is wrong about the "no need", 54. You may not have to worry as much about the prop eating you up but last I checked, exhaust still comes out the rear of the boat in almost all cases. You really don't want to be back there while exhaust is spewing out, especially after a run when your body is tired anyways. Sure it's hard on your engine to start and stop it often but it's even harder on your body to be breathing in exhaust fumes.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-17-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
Saves a lot of hours on your boat by shutting off between riders. A quick guesstimation saved me more than 20 hours/year. It adds up quick. Plus theres no reason to smell the fumes and it eliminates any possible mishaps. One thing we always do is drop the rope in the water before the rider jumps in, then pull it all the way out to make sure there aren't any tangles, then the rider jumps in and is ready to go.

(Message edited by guido on May 17, 2007)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-17-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
What's a reasonably set up Xstar going for these days?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-17-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Mike is right,I am referring to the gas fumes and possible exhaust if the boat is on.

Turn your boat OFF,saves hours and gas and most of all your passengers.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-17-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I fixed the weighting diagram, ooops!

Billy - I kind of wanted to make it personalized to our boat, so thats why I put Mastercraft on it.

Peter - The lake we ride is one of the biggest in Michigan, so there are not traffic rules, and furthermore no boats anywhere near you when we ride in the morning.

I'm making up a final copy and I'll post a pic, and from there I'll consider making up another for you Ron.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-17-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
Here we go.

Upload
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-18-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
Travis needs to chime in on this thread, I know he talked about doing something like this only alot more involved for Mastercraft or just maybe on his own.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 6:25 AM Reply   
54- there was a thread a couple weeks ago bout a guy died in prop behind an inboard, I'm pretty sure the engine was running. Drunk or not, accidents can happen. I'd rather put a little more "wear and tear" on my starter, then on my friends head... - Great job Roddy, for newbie drivers,and others with bad habits that need a little hint.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-18-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
I stoled your book, hope you dont mind.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-18-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
On your "up and running" part talking about the wake being "washy" you say more people/ballast to the side of the boat that is washy, but in your pick you show the the opposite. Did I read that right?
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Well I'm glad this thread got started, because who knows how long I would've keep my engine running all day. maybe until someone got hurt. Thanks guys.
Jamie,
Its already been pointed out and Roddy is aware.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-18-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Wouldn't the "hug the shoreline" and double up drawings both send rollers up and down your line? I thought you never want to drive perpendicular to your line, except on a dub when you can make the waves somewhat cancel each other out in the middle. We often have to hug shorelines to avoid wind and it is very noticeable if you (or more commonly others) fail to abide by that principle.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-18-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Andy - thats cool, just put it to good use.

BCH - I realize what your saying, but the lake we ride is so big and empty that sometimes we make huge 'L' shapes and don't have to make a single turn around for a whole set. Thats when we use the turn diagram. Nothings worse than a driver making a huge gradual turn lasting 5 minutes, and not being able to hit a wake jump.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-18-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Here's the fixed weighting page for those interested...

If you do print out the book, don't forget the last page. Makes the book IMO

Upload
Old     (greenspirit_hydro)      Join Date: May 2007       05-22-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
Great tutorial for a soon to be boat owner. However, I can't quite grasp this "hang loose" concept. Could you maybe reintegrate?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-22-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
Excellent.

You should add pages for:

1) how to follow other boats.
2) how to pass other boats with down riders.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-22-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
Roddy,

Awesome book!! It's in my boat now too!

Publish this, take it down to your dealer and have them put it on their counter for $10 a copy. It'll probably pay for once-a-week gas money!
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
awesome i just send it to my boat driver
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-22-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
Great stuff Roddyrod. I'm printing out a copy as well (after I edit the Mastercraft with Moomba).

(Message edited by o2binvallarta on May 22, 2007)