Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    p0rkbelly            03-02-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
I just started wakeboarding last summer and loved it. I was boarding behind a regal cuddy cabin. I want a boat designed for wakeboarding. I been reading all though the threads and have found a lot of good information. I saw some Yamaha wakeboard boats at a dealership the other day and have been trying to find some information on them but have found nothing yet. Anybody know anything about them. All I know is they are jet and not prop propelled.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-02-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
If you want a wakeboard boat you need to look elsewhere. Remember, just because someone builds a boat and puts a tower and ballast system on it doesn't make it a wakeboard boat. Look at a boat that designs a hull around wakeboarding and is an inboard: Moomba, Supra, Mastercraft, Malibu, Nautique, Centurion, Tige, Sanger, etc.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-02-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
Yamaha wakeboard boats = does not compute.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-03-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
yeah, definitely not a wakeboard boat.
Old    p0rkbelly            03-03-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
So it looks like Yamaha just made a boat that looks like a wakeboard boat but definitely won't perform like one. Would this boat perform better in other categories such as handling, or cutting though chop, or would a Mc, bu, Moomba, be just as good in those areas as well?

MSRP on the Yamaha is around $35k base. The one the dealer had was about $40 OTD. I know I can get Moomba for about the same price and if it can handle as good as or better than the AR230 then the Yamaha would be a waste of money.

I want to drive a couple before I buy one, but I really don't know what to expect since I have never driven or rode behind a True wakeboarding boat before.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-03-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
get a moomba.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Schedule a test drive for a Mobius LSV or Ouback V as soon as possible. You won't be dissapointed.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-03-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
Yamaha wakeboard boat = military intelligence = women's basketball.

They are words that just don't belong together.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-03-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
Talltigeguy, Nice post. That women's basketball had me rolling
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-03-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
peace keeper missile
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-03-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
If you are looking in the 40K range, look at the MC X1.
As far as handling, the Wakeboard boats will kill a jet ski boat. They track better, hold speed better etc. They will more than likley have a slower top speed, but the power out of the hole will also kill the jet ski boat.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-03-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
As a current jet boat owner I once again need to chime in. I purchased my boat due to lack of knowledge. It is a good boat but its not a wakeboard boat. If you are even at all that serious about wakeboarding get something else. If you are looking for a general boat then who's to say don't. Just remember, jet boats use more gas and cannot produce that wake that most love to ride and the ones that newbies are afraid of. Resail is the other thing. Think long term. I have had my boat for almost two years and I love it but I want to upgrade to a wakeboard boat. Its sad to know that my boat with about 1400lbs of ballast doesn't even compare to my friends 02 X Star unweighted.
Old     (ldc)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-03-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
I too almost bought a yamaha ar230ho, but i was really concerned about the resale on the yamaha. Ended up with a 06 Centurion Avalanche, and love it. So glad i didnt get the yamaha, like their waverunners tho.

Look at a Centurion they have a little more "V" shape to the hull then than say malibu or mc's. A little better for the chop so i've heard.

dc
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-03-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
There's a reason why all of the top watersports specific boat builders continue to put props on the bottom of the boat.....if the jet ski boat performed better, they would be jumping on that band-wagon. I don't see that happening. You will be making a huge mistake if you spend 40K on a Yamaha for two reasons 1) after the first year you will realize that you screwed up and 2) you will not be able to sell it for half of what you paid and will be stuck with it. Don't be that guy. There are plenty of great used and new "true" wakeboard boats in your price range. Good Luck.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-03-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
Jet boats in general get crappy gas mileage, especially if its a twin motor.
Old    p0rkbelly            03-04-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone,

After reading your responses and doing some more research on other message boards (I searched the Yamaha message boards and found a couple threads stating the same as what ya'll have posted) I am staying away from the AR230.

Now my question is how do the wakeboard boats handle in chop or even small swells, 2-3 ft maybe. I don’t go out of the river much but once or twice a year I like to go to the keys. Are these good boats to take down there or am I going to get the crap beat out of me.

I live near the St Johns River in Florida. If it’s not smooth enough to board I still like to just ride around in the boat. If the only thing I cant do is tow with the boat then I still don’t know if a wakeboard designed boat is for me.(PLEASE DON’T THINK I AM ACCUSING YOUR BOATS OF THIS, I’M NOT, I JUST DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM YET. THAT’S WHY I’M HERE.)

DC wrote that the Centurion handles a little better. What does every one else think?

I guess what I really need to know is what’s going to be the best combination of good wakeboarding but not being limited to just wakeboarding.
Old    moombarider132            03-04-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
well as far as handeling you should go with an i drive(motor in the middle) but they dont handle well at all through chop so if you want that you can go with a moomba/mobius xlv that will handle waves way better than smaller boats and still keep the price under 50k but then ur loosing the handling, speed, acceleration, etc. so its all compensation. honestly if ur going through 2-3 foot swells you probably want a boat over 25' such as the moomba xlv or mastercraft x30, x45, or even x80. but those are probably way more than you want to pay for so i think you should look at the moomba xlv as far as that goes. you definately need to demo demo demo!!

just helpin the guy out
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-04-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
I think you should consider an I/O for what you want to do, you can buy one big enough to handle chop and salt water exposure for a lot cheaper than an inboard made for that. Put a tower and PP on it, you are good to go. There are plenty of I/O's with very respectable wakes. I know I would not want to be in my 22ft d/drive in 2-3' chop. I have and it sucks.