Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (griffbutta)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-01-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
okay, i've got two yellowtops and a perko switch. When i turn on the batteries (both) and the accessories, my meter on the dash only reads 10 volts, despite showing a full charge on my battery charger. couple questions...1st, when the stereo is on and the sub hits, the meter drops to about 9 volts and my perfect pass starts turning itself on and off and beeping. i have no idea why that's happening!! second, would it be better for me to change the perko to where the stereo comes on when the switch is either on 1 or 2 and not both? third, i'm the second owner of this boat and i don't know how old the batteries are (the boat is a 99). should i just be on the safe side and get a couple new ones for the season and if so, how much should i plan on spending on a couple new tops? thanks for any advice.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-01-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Do you have a voltmeter to test the voltage at the battery? what is that voltage? Are you sure yoru charger is good? If the voltage is below 12 (when fully charged) at your battery you may have to replace them. If your seeing correct voltage at the battery take yoru voltmeter and trace the voltage back to the guages and find wher the drop occurs...coudl just be a loose connection? AS far as the PP reading low where is PP getting it's power from? It needs a true 12v source, PP manual says to tap into another guage, I think. I ended up haveing to power mine thru the ignition switch on my old boat, the guage didn't have enough power.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-01-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Like Adam said, get a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery. If the battery is fully charged, but has been off the charger for at least 10 minutes, you should read about 12.5 volts at the battery. If it is significantly less then the batteries are bad, replace them.

If the battery voltage is above 12, but the dash meter is reading 9, then there is a bad connection somewhere between the batteries and the dash. Use the voltmeter to check the voltage at the output of the battery switch, then at the main engine mounted circuit breaker, then at the input to the fuse block, then at the fuse for the guage and perfect pass.

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Griff last year i was and am still having the same problem and know my batteries voltage is good but think there is a problem between the charging system and the dash/gauges/pp. Dont buy the batteries till you know its them or you may be wasting money.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-02-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
As soon as I looked in your profile and saw the Nauty the question was answered. Definetely check the batteries with a volt meter against the boat guage. You will find the guage reads wrong, but does it really? Nope! It is reading voltage exactly as it sees it. For some reason Nautique did not run a large enough power feed wire to the dash. I had a similar problem and solved it by adding in a secondary wire run through a relay. Never had a problem again. Basically gave it a booster, but I also had other reasons for doing it that way, due to added electronics.

What I do not understand is you say the stereo only comes on when you have the Perko set on "Both". Which battery 1 or 2 is the stereo hooked too? Or did they hook the stereo to the switch?? Weird! You may have one dead battery. Not condeming it, just not sure since the switch has to be combined for your stereo to work.

You should have both batteries tested, but it takes a special tester as impedance is the best way. Load testing is not good for them as they have a low internal resistance.