Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
I have a problem with my 02 X-Star... It turns over but won't start.

Yesterday, I took the boat out and it was running fine all day until I cut it off the last time to hang out a few minutes before heading in. When I went to fire it back up, it just kept turning over, but wouldn't start. I thought it might be the ignition module because it has gone out on me before and done the same thing. I had a spare at home and changed it out myself... Not the problem. Cap and rotor look fine as well. I also checked the safety lanyard, and it is on tight as well. I guess there could be a possibility that it isn't getting fuel.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give.

Thanks.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-13-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
check your electrical connections, i spent a week chasing one damn wire on the fuel pump that had shaken loose...drove me nuts. Good luck :-)
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-13-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
same happened to one of mine last year... check the harness from the rear of the distributor to the module (sort of a "fusible link" in there that breaks down...) i racked my brain for days, finally took it to the local dlr --and after 2 weeks that is what they found.. Sorry, i can't remember the correct term for what it is called. Another thing,, wait a day or so, let it get good and cooled down, then try to start it. Verify power and spark..
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2007, 6:03 AM Reply   
Kill switch lanyard attached?
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-14-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
Fuel pump relays?

Gas?

Fuel Pump?
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-14-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
Kill switch lanyard attached? Been there before.
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-14-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
yup. i'd short the lanyard to make sure. If it's not connecting properly it will show exactly the symptoms you described
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
Push the kill switch in extra hard and then try and start it while pushing it in. Sometimes the switch goes bad or the little clip on the lanyard loses its strength and wont push it in far enough.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-14-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
What Billy said, he knows all about not pushing in far enough...
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-14-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Fuel pump. take a rubber mallet and give the fuel pump a little bit of a wack. Sometimes that will help it out. But sounds like you'll have to replace the pump. Very common on that boat. Same thing happened to me last year.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-14-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
there are three small "boxes" behind that little plastic cover (wingnuts on it) have some one touch all three and start the motor ... one should click on. if none does then talk to you MC dealer and they will tell you which one. i think its the one on the right that clicks... can remember...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
it may be too much gas!
i think it "loaded up" if you had been running it and then you shut down quickly without giving it a little time to "idle down" you may need to pop it in nuetral and move the throttle to wide open and try to start it...be ready to back it off quick when it starts! i think this is your problem

(Message edited by bftskir on May 14, 2007)
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
hahahaaha Byrd, thats why they call me (woreout),
although its still better than a bird d**k
Old     (charliep)      Join Date: May 2004       05-14-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
When you turn the key do your gauges move? If not, check the lanyard. Ours was out on our '05 last year and this was the easy check for a lanyard issue. Also, listen for the fuel pump.
Old    shawn_madison            05-15-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
Matt,
Check all of the connections to the back of your ignition switch. Some may be loose. Reset each connection.

Get a voltmeter and start back tracking.
Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked the valve on the fuel line and there was no pressure (no fuel came out when I pressed in the needle). So, I took it in to the dealer this morning.