Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Ok, i have an 2006 Mobius LSV. about 3400 dry w/o trailer i'd say 4-4200lbs all around.

i used to have a 2006 Ford F150 to tow with, i couldnt afford gas and wasnt towing too often cause i lived on the lake at the time, so i leased a 2008 Ford Escape w/ the V6. I have since moved and have about a 10-15min drive to lake everyday and twice a year i drive about 2-3hrs to store the boat. Doing with the escape (3500lb capacity) has been done but is a pain, the overall city driving is ok.... but the freeway driving is TERRIBLE max speed of about 63mph and NO passing power.

i dont wanna go back to a truck, i want a tad better milage and i love the luxury aspect of my SUV, i do like the escape i just wish it would tow more. My price range is buying used and anything less than 21k a couple years old.

i've been looking at:

2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer w/ the V8
2008 Hummer H3

i've read some really bad things about the H3, but its really catching my eye, it reminds me of something i want to keep (my escape) but has a bit more power.

Escape has 190 ft lbs of torque and 200hp w/ 3500 tow cap.
H3 has 230ft lb of torque and 230hp w/ 5000 tow cap
explorer has 290hp (unsure of torque) and 7200lb tow cap

i also looked a Dodge durango's a bit, because you can pick them up fairly cheap.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
From your list it looks like your going for American made. If your willing to look outside this range I tow my Sanger with a Toyota 4Runner (V8 model). It has great passing power even on grades. At your $21k price point you should be able to find a really good deal. I'm sure it has the same specifications if not better than the Explorer or Hummer.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
Keep your escape and buy a cheap tow rig. you can find an old chev. or ford for less than 5k that will get the job done. beyond that look at the expeditions or tahoes. they both will be worse on the gas milage but will tow alot better.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-25-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
If you like the Escape so much then you should love the Explorer. You'll get better fuel economy than the H3, be more capable in the towing department and have a more reliable car.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
they don't make hummers any more so i wouldn't get one from a parts availability stand point. diesel suv gets better mileage than gas.but i agree with who cares get a beater for as little as you use it!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-25-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
VW Toureg? Better HP, torque and towing than all those listed. Even if you go with the V6, I still think you'd be ahead.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-25-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
What ever you get make sure it has a V8. I like the idea of keeping your Escape and buying a cheap tow pig.
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-25-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
I'd go with the beater truck and keep the Escape for fuel mileage. Everybody needs a truck? right!
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-25-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
I have an 01 grand cherokee that has worked well. I am not sure I would call anything passing power while towing, but with a 4.7 it gets the job done. I have seen plenty of newer models 05+ that are in the 15k range with a V8.

For example:
http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/1758385561.html
http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/1756743477.html
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-25-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
I would say either keep the escape and get an older truck with a big gas V8 or an older diesel truck just for towing, you won't regret it. Also, in my opinion, stay away from the H3. My wife wanted one because she loved the way it looked so we test drove it and we both hated it. Even she thought it barely moved so I can't imagine the towing would be any good. She ended up going with a newer Yukon and really likes it.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
thanks for the responses so far!

i should of said keeping the escape is not an option, its a lease, i have to turn in. its due back in 2 weeks and i refuse to buy out because interest rates for buy outs aren't the same as interest rates for purchasing from a dealer....

i was thinking today about it, and i think the H3 is def out unless somehow i get some ridiculous deal on one (which i dont see happening) because the mileage is 14/18, if im gonna get that kinda MPG on my vehicle im def going w/ a V8.

im still looking for the perfect explorer, i have a few lined up. I used to have a 2004 FX4 F150 Crew Cab, towed like a beast, and a sick truck but i hated out huge it was, like driving a bus, thats the feel i dont want to have..... which is also why i as much as the Dodge Durango is like 18k for a few years old 50k miles and a Hemi in it, i just think the thing is so sick big....
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-26-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
My partners brother has a H3T. Biggest heap of ****/waste of money/waste of space/gas in the world. 5ft box = useless. They come with about 300HP depending on the options you got and weigh an absolute tonne.

He's always making excuses that he can't tow the boat to the lake because he can't afford gas.

An F150 is pretty small in comparison to 3/4 and fullsize trucks. I'd suggest a Chevy/GMC 1500 with the 5.3L V8. They are reliable, not super big and not super small. Tow really well, won't be as good as a 3/4 ton but will do a heap better than the escape.