Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-28-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
Thoughts on which is a better video? When and where will PP be available?
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-28-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
i kno if you order it, they will start to ship on Dec 10
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-28-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
i think PP will be better
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-28-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
simple

both
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-28-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
If I want the "both" answer, then I wouldn't have asked!

Thanks for the suggestions. I need some ideas for people asking me Christmas wants.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-28-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
sorry i thought they were for yourself but i guess if you were to only buy one it would be

TRANSGRESSION

I didnt mean to be such a smart a$$
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-28-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
my guess is PushProcess because it has a bigger budget for the video and has a diverse line up. But you should really get both because Randall Harris' section is amazing.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-28-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
If Randall's section was on Push Process, then it would be a no brainer!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-28-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
PP - largest wake budget ever. And Justin Stephens videos always pump me up. Has there been a video of his that you didnt like? Truth? Metronome? Running w. scissors? etc.? these are just a couple off the top of my head also...
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-28-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Keith Lyman vs Randy Harris?????

Haven't seen either video but my preference would be Push Process, just from what I have seeing from both trailers. I here Transgression is a really good video.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
I have seen both, Push Process is better IMO, we will have our copies of Push Process in a couple weeks.
We have had Transgressions in for a couple weeks and its good, but Push Process is great!!
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-28-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Ive seen Push Process and havent seen Transgression, i would say get Transgression. Even though i havent seen it i have heard good things about it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-28-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
I would be the exact opposite Travis. I just bought Transgression and would expect Push Process to be better. After the first viewing, there's only a couple sections I want to watch again in Transgression, and it's easy to guess which ones.
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-28-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
push process for sure
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-28-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
A-dub thats how i feel about Push Process. Im bummed because i am a Justin fan.

Maybe i will wait to watch Transgression before i buy that one too.
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-28-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
my idea on it is that transgression was kind of a chill, more relaxed music and just wakeboarding. really good vid btw. but push process is more of a faster, louder type of video. looks amazing. cant wait to see it
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-28-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
I don't know, but the push process teaser is right on

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ynCSFraIFsk
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-28-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
nice teaser video for PP. I have Transgression....no regrets...the video is amazing. Looks like PP is amazing to. Add PP to my stocking stuffer...i want it. Truthfully.....a good night would be dead of winter playing both videos back to back on my 60" screen with my 4000 watts surround sound theater room. Sorry not trying to brag...but it does change the experience a little.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-28-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
To bad they dont have HD DVD's in that case huh?
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-28-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
personally... i didn't like transgression, it wasn't worth the money imo... If you loved the Truth, you probably won't like it. The music was to mellow/artsy, but the most annoying thing in my opinion was that it couldn't keep a shot on a rider for the whole trick. It would like fade in and out from shot to shot... just let me see the whole damn trick and then go to the pretty scenery that i don't really care about anymore or the next trick... but that was just me, some people liked it....

but ya, you know how the teaser was for transgression? pretty much the ENTIRE movie is like that... that type of music with the fading in and out of shots... i watched the teaser like 10 times at least and haaated the movie

(Message edited by bbking on November 28, 2007)
Old     (wakeboarder557)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-28-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
I totally agree with Brett B. I was super excited about transgression, I loved the trailer and watched it all the time but when it got to the actual video it was just a bunch of scenery and barely any amazing tricks. Through out the entire movie there was at most 3-4 stand out sections. Just my two cents.
Old     (lachie_mew)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-28-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
i would also say both. both look awesome
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-28-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
if you guys have seen any of ronn's movies lately he has gone to more of an artsy kind of style which imo is great. he is takin movies to a whole new level with that style. i love justin's movies as well he is out of control with his new ideas like the super slo mo in the truth that made sh@t look fake and that is just incredible. i loved transgression i watch randall's section almost everyday and lidberg's section is crazy yea some of the lesser known guys sections aren't as amazing but still fun to watch and see how other guys are riding. matt manzari is the best wakeskater in the world i mean he does a damn kickflip underflip which is unheard of and is one of the reasons why to buy trangression. for all of you out their dissing transgression get over it, it's a badass film and he used that music because it fits the style of the movie. i guess you have to be able to appreciate art to like transgression. i'd have to say if the person you are getting this for is younger then go with pp, but both are amazing films. oh yea and the wake to rail transfer that lyman did is out of control, he is for sure a ballsy m-fer just for trying that sh@t. so go out and get both
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-28-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
a high def wake movie would definitely be the ticket!
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-28-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
Transgression because i own a copy.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-29-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
wow! I have seen ronn's movies lately and for the most part they are worth watching (seeing) once, imo. They have transitioned into stock tricks with nice trees in the background. Randall's section in Transgression is amazing, you can watch it daily, but that's it for the movie. It's worth buying for one part. What am I to get over? Buying a movie and only like 2.5 sections?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-29-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Push Process is still the only trailer I have ever seen that gave me goosebumps while watching it. I just feel like the message in the trailer about wakeboarding being a pure form and everything is so true, and I really hope the same tone is set in the movie.

So, my vote goes to Push Process.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-29-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
Transgression was a huge let down. McKee, Lidberg, and Vandall are the only parts worth watching in the video. Randy Harris is a god and Lidberg's rail skills are unreal but you will be very dissapointed by the rest of the video.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-29-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
wow garret, that was deep.

i agree with xstar, and i think lidbergs rail session and vandals two sections are worth buying the movie. i especially liked randall's first day back.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-29-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
ha, I dunno...as far as I am concerned, great tricks and sections are important, but in the off season, I watch wake vids for inspiration, so the mood and message of the video is the most important to me.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-29-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
good point, i kno what you mean
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-29-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
as far as wakeskating goes matt manzari's section is way better than danny hampson's section will be in push process. dont't get me wrong hampson is awesome at wakeskating but it's the flip tricks that are the best to watch and manzari has all of them down. he is by far the best wakeskater out he is almost like the rodney mullen of wakeskating. i mean the kid did a kickflip underflip and mullen is the only person i have seen do that trick on a skateboard. get transgression its worth it yes i agree some of the unknown riders aren't as exciting to watch but still worth it.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-29-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
tru, manzari was sick. i forgot to put that in my comment
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-29-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Dont knock it untill you've seen it.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-29-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
the wakeskating was really impressive but the sections of the guys that i would consider "way over the hill" put a damper on the movie for me...the riding was the caliber of good AM videos and i didnt think the film quality was good at all. the music was boring and i found myself fast forwarding through a lot of parts, and man has Brisco's riding gone down hill...He used to kill it with so much style, i was really dissapointed
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-29-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Transgression hands down. push process will be good, but in my opinion it will have sections comparable to many other vids. There are no other videos out with sections like randalls, lidbergs, and manzari's.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-29-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
randalls section was EPIC but the video lacked...when he nailed that toe 9 into the flats and the wrapped heel 9 i think I might have pooped myself. I was thinking to myself, "now all we need is parks to get healthy and we will have the best video parts to date." Vandall is not human and Lidberg can ollie over a house
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-29-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
yea that toe 9 was wrapped as well but he took it farther into the flats than anyone can, randall is the man. yea i can't wait to see parks get healthy again, randall and him were my favorite riders to watch back in the mid to late 90s. i don't think briscoe's section was that bad, yea it wasn't as good as in man overboard but he was still stylie as hell, and it is good to see gator back out there rippin. lidberg is crazy the end of his section where he is gapping the land is crazy, he's a beast takin spill after spill and then just sticking it was impressive. i just want pp to come out so i can see lyman and rathy go huge, randall has definitely influenced their riding a lot over the past few years cuz these guys definitely emulate his style which is sick.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-29-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
I think a lot of people are going to be really impressed with Lyman's section in Push Process. He's had amazing parts in a bunch of other films but this one is easily his best yet. The guy goes so big, crazy pop off the wake. Each hit is like a double up.
And George Daniels part pretty much matches Matt Manzari's section punch for punch, except for the Varial Flip Underfilp. I've only seen PP once so I can't even remember what George actually threw down, but I remember been blown away.
It's hard to compare these two films because they really are completely different. Transgression definitely has the vibe thing going on, but the energy in PP is way more intense.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-29-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
I think all these guys are really impressive in both of these video's. I don't even think there should be a comparison...this vs. this. I have Transgression and I will be buying Push Process when it comes out. I will most likely get the new Hype video as well. There is always something in these videos that will impress. Otherwise..why make them. Good motivation for everyone....especially during the off season. Plus I feel buying them will support our sport...hands down.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-29-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
Anyone else bummed about the Transgression soundtrack lol videos are supposed to make me wanna ride not fall asleep the riding in it made up for the music though
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-30-2007, 6:10 AM Reply   
Why pick just one, buy both! :-)

I feel both of these videos will pave the way for even more high-end wake films in the future. They can't all be the same type of film nor should they. It's refreshing when directors want to show they're own personal style, that includes music. Isn't that what riding is all about anyway, STYLE?

We here in NJ are fortunate to have both of these films premiere here in the garden state in 2007, a real treat for us. Back in June we viewed the unedited version on Transgression (I think we were the first to see it), and next week we'll get to see Push Process (dec. 6th) here in Manasquan at the Algonquin theater. Great way to cap-off the year!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-30-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
You can use a video to appreciate the artform or to get a heavy vibe for inspiration. There isn't any set criteria for what a video should be, only expectations. Obviously ronn's ideals don't match the ideals of a number of the people on here.

Ultimately, I'll own both. Ronn's work is definitely an expression through an art, and the Push process film looks to be very energetic and in your face. they're at kind of opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard (though I wouldn't say that Transgression isn't uplifting), but I appreciate both. I like that Ronn is back and we're able to get a taste of his cinematic style, which i feel is quite different from justin stephens and mr. Kilgus.

I just hope they all feel like they can make a film with a style that they're proud of and not worry about people "not getting it."
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-30-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
K, I'm not trying to be a here, but how is everyone relating Transgression to art? It doesn't have anything new, it doesn't have anything special, it's an exotic location, frames jump back and forth and back and forth giving you a headache, and there's all sorts shots of the exotic place and it's inhabitants. I like all of that the first time seeing it, in the movie, but not the whole freaking movie, and I don't find it as an expression of art as much as some of you seem to. It's an exotic location, they were fortunate to get to travel there, but half of the movie is leaves and trees and wooden boats. I'm not trying to complain, even though it is beginning to seem like it, but this is not art to me. It's the footage they got. You know why Randy's part is so awesome? Because it's him, but also because they worked on getting good shots and footage, which it doesn't seem they did in these exotic locations. I'm not unhappy in my purchase of the video, but I do think it is extremely misleading, and is not artsy but just a location video. It should be called trip to asian pacific and Randall Harris' section. I hope my point somewhat came across, I just do not see this as "art", especially compared to Ronn's previous work. Seriously, watched the vid again last night and skipped nearly every section, especially when they started with background shots of trees, because that is literally half of the movie. I respect peoples ideas to be original and all that, but I hope the future of videos is not this, because paying $25+ for shots out of a National Geographic video is not what I'm about. I want to good riding!
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-30-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
"half of the movie is leaves and trees and wooden boats"

So true and so very funny!

Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-30-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
I have said this before, but I would like to see videos have an extra section for Lyman and Randall shot from the spotters POV. I would like to see how everything looks as I might see it.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-30-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
That's funny Matt because I've thought the same thing. Everybody gets caught up trying to be different with various camera angles, but sometimes a good old tow boat shot is awesome...especially to see how big and far out in the flats some of these guys go.
Old     (schrunk)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-06-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
I liked both films, I would love to see Push Process in actual high def and not hindered by the lower DVD resolution. I personally like the style of Transgression better, plus im a sucker for 16mm film as opposed to PP which is all digital (with the exception of the insane high framerate slow mo shots). I just felt like the shots in Transgression really showcased the locations and the sport, true PP showcases the riders perhaps a bit better with longer cuts, just your own preference I guess.

Buy both, bottom line.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-06-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
Ironically, I was looking at this thread last night after I picked up transgression and ordered PP online, but decided not to bump it.

Anyhow, I loved the music and the style of Transgression, and I loved the music and style of The Truth (someone said that if you loved the Truth you wouldn't like Transgression), but it's because they're so different that I like them. They're two uniquely different types of wakeboarding films, and I can't wait till Push Process shows up in the mail next week.
Old     (wakeboarder557)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-06-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
A-dub (behindtheboat), Exactly what i thought about the movie. Get push process, almost every other trick in it is a hammer. Its soooo sick :-)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-06-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
So there's this one song on Trangression that I couldn't quite place, but here on my third time watching it since I got it yesterday (yes, I like it that much, or I'm just desperate to pass the time until summer...), I noticed it's from the movie The Fountain. Which, oddly enough, is what the style of filmmaking Transgression has, reminds me of.
Old     (chrisnj)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-06-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
IMO push process owns transgression.
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-06-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
do you guys get any aussie wakeboard films over there?
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-06-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
I think they both could have done better on music
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-06-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
Push process...Rathy's opening session is so under rated, Adkinson kills it, Friday is impressive, and of course Lyman closes nicely
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
we've been watching Transgression all weekend at the boat show. I personally enjoy it, but it's pretty cool when you're watching it side-by-side with Vandall and the whole gang.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-09-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
TRANSGRESSION ...... hands down
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-09-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
I think we need another video...Lets get all the wakeboarding community and make a motion picture around our sport. Like Blue Crush did around surfing......lets just get it focused on wakeboarding...now who has the budget for that....it would definitely be the ultimate..put a plot..and a lot of action together...Let's make Murray the lead since he has been killing it the longest.....Come on Oakley, Fox, Jetpilot...lets do something real with the money..that would take our sport to the next level....
Old     (mitch35)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-09-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
they tried that allready " Ride the wake " with some girl and her upcoming to be a wakeboarder..they filmed at Canyon Lake and Elsinore...it has Dallas Friday and Ricky G and Randall Harris and the Valdez Bro....I dont know what they are doing with it now though.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-09-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
I think it's going to be about what you want in a movie.

I haven't seen Push Process, I cannot defend it. I can say that while I was a bit skeptical about buying Transgression, to the point it stayed in my ruck sack for a month while I was in and out of town before I even opened. I had to reprimand myself once I did.

When I watch the video I find myself zenning out. I find much of the music soulful and while the scenery is epic, the cinematography to capture the scenes is amazing. The wakeboarding is solid and there were more than a few things to have me pick my jaw back up. Harris's section is motivational and invigorating. You can see the challange and adversity reflected in a person from the few short clips of him talking.

I think Transgression captures much of what I'm fond of with wakeboarding, the essence, the energy, the scenery, even the laughs. Wakeboarding is a soulful experience for me, it's not just simply about picking my jaw up at an athletes ability to defy my normal rational of physics.