Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-06-2005, 7:34 PM Reply   
I am about to try to learn my first invert and am trying to decide between a raley and a HS Backroll. My friends seem to have two different perspectives on which one is easier to learn. Some of my friends swear that a raley is the easiest trick they have learned and others say it is much harder than the backroll. Do you guys have any input on this. I would like to learn the raley first, because I think that it will be easier to transition into other moves quickly (nuclear glide, etc)than the backroll. What do you guys think? Should I learn the raley or backroll first, and how difficult is each one to learn?
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-06-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
Do not try a raley for your first invert, although after you learn a raley it will seem like one of your easy inverts. However, start with either a HS Backroll or a Tantrum. See trick tips.

Hope this helps.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-06-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
Bennett,

What is your reasoning behind not trying the raley first? Just curious, I am like a little kid sometimes and like to ask "why" a bit too much. But seriously, why?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-06-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
A backroll teaches the importance of a strong edge all the way through the wake. This will be necessary for a Raley. Raleys involve much harder falls and shouldn't be tried until you have a perfect edge all the way up the wake.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-06-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
I'd have to say the backroll should be your 1st attempted invert. The raley is an easy trick, once you learn how to do it... But, it is not an easy trick to learn. When you attempt the raley, you will take some of the hardest crashes in wakeboarding.

By learning the backroll 1st, you'll become a better rider, and learn how to control your body and board, while being inverted... Which is a very serious issue when attempting the raley.

If that's not enough persuasion, and you insist on learning the raley 1st, at least use a wakeskate until you get the basic extension, and landing positions mastered... Then let us know how bad it hurt once you strapped a board on?

-Blake
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-06-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
Leo answered your question perfectly, Michael.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-06-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
Thanks guys,

Looks like the backroll will be first. I will let you know how it works out.
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-06-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
Try the raley on the skate... I'd tried to learn it before, and had really bad bails... once I tried on the skate and got over the whole mental game, I strapped on a board and landed it 4th try. The 3 falls I had weren't bad at all - I landed on the board but just pulled in too hard so I slid out.

That being said, I would agree to learn the backroll first. Everyone's advice above is bang on... it will help with fundamentals...
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-06-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
The first invert we usually teach people is the tantrum. Just because of the fundamentals Blake was tlking about. "Strong Edge" and "NOt as Rough Crashes"
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-06-2005, 8:53 PM Reply   
Sounds like some of you know about the backroll. Can any 1 spare a tip or two on it. I edge in pretty good and I get full rotation even land on the board but I cant seem to keep the handle in my hand. Some kind of mental thing..... I can feel myself letting go of it to....almost like I hang on long enough to get the momentum needed to pull the trick but then let go. Any advice?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-06-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
Take Blake's word for it. I was there and saw just how hard you can hit!

Quick Blake - what;s your name?? OK - I guess you are better now. Worried about you for a while bud!
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-06-2005, 9:09 PM Reply   
I'm okay, I think... Wait, my name is Blake??? Or, is my name Okay?

-Blake
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-06-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
First of all first time you try a raley chances are you might go into a backroll. Also i feel that a tantrum is a great first invert due to the fact that it takes a little more than just a hard cut or big jump you have to learn what your edges will do to you when leaving the wake. I would definately learn a tanrum and back roll first. Raleys are cake i think anyone who can clear the wake and can do a pull up can do one its all balls
Old    blind5            04-07-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
The truth about Rayleys? They are not inverts

(Message edited by blind5 on April 07, 2005)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-07-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
off topic -

Rob - that is a ridiculous pic in your profile...nice.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       04-07-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
From what I understand, raley's are considered inverts, but only as far as competitions go... But I agree, the raley isn't an invert, if anything, it's just a stretched out wake-to-wake jump?

Yeah Rob, that pic is ridiculous, and pretty sweet, too!

-Blake
Old    extremewakegirl            04-07-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
I would DEFINATLY start with a backroll! A ralley is a very advance trick and well you need to have your edging down perfect before you go for a ralley! Plus you can;t have any doubts in your mind about the trick! So I would definatly say go with the backroll!!! But thats just me!
Old    murrayair            04-07-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
Yeah, I would go with a backroll first too, simply because they are much easier- for me, at least.
Old    wakesyco            04-07-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
take a look at this guy trying his first raley
and he has a tanturm,backroll,and frontroll, I have some more footage when he coffing up alot of blood if you want to see it I can dig it out..
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=7895&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-08-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
Yeah I just caught back up to this forum. Like they asid, do NOT try a raley first. It takes a strong progressive edge into a release that you will learn. I would agree with learning the backroll over the tantrum, teaches you good progressive edge into an invert.