Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chutch)      Join Date: May 2010       05-07-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
Hello everyone,

I am new to the board but have a question I am hoping someone can help me with. I am looking to do some modifications to my stereo system. I currently have 2 of the Boss 530 tower speakers with the light bar. Not really looking to upgrade those but am trying to find the specs on them. What kind of watts do those require and what Ohms are they running at. I guess these are pretty old speakers but I still see them for sale on websites but they don't ever have specs on them. I am going to get a new sub and head unit.

The head unit I am looking at is a Kenwood Marine KMR-440U. Seems like a good unit for the price. I don't know much about kenwood in marine applications but I think in car applications they are decent. Anyone have any experiance with this.

The sub I am looking at is a self powered Bazooka. Kind of pricey but I like the idea of the self powered so I don't have to deal with getting another amp. Again I can't find many reviews on them either. Any opinions?

Any help would be greatful.

Thanks,
Chris
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-07-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
Chris,

As long as you understand their limitations I really like the 8-inch marine passive subwoofer. Its very efficient which means a moderate amplifier will do a very good job. Crossover points and tuning are going to be different than most other subs and they're finicky about how you load the woofer/port into the surrounding boundaries. Boundary loading is essential but cramped cavities and loading too close to boundaries is definitely counterproductive.

The powered version uses a very light duty amplifier (twin BTLs into a DVC driver). Its just powerful enough to keep pace with satellites driven off a source unit but will not compete with amplified highpass speakers and is too weak for an open environment with competing wind and engine noise. This is a good solution for a compact car or in-cabin salon but not enough for a ski/wake boat.

You can do a custom marine rhino polyurethane-coated sealed enclosure with a decent namebrand 10-inch woofer and monoblock amplifier for under $400.00

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (chutch)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Thanks David. You are making me think about it more then. I will look for a good 10" sub and an amp. When you said you really like the 8" marine passive subwoofer were you talking about the Bazooka?
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-09-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Chris........................look no further than David at Earmark Marine for "a custom marine rhino polyurethane-coated sealed enclosure with a decent namebrand 10-inch woofer and monoblock amplifier for under 400.00". He's got the goods and will guide you through the installation process.

Last edited by skyski1; 05-09-2010 at 10:21 AM.