Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
this is a question for my dad again. he has a beyond jacked up knee. i cant believe he can even get up. if anyone has a blown knee. what brace do you use?
he wants support and preferably neopreme
he also wants a hyperexstension stop
pardon spelling
Old     (hyperlite1622)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-24-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
check out the donjoy stuff i just tore my acl and mcl my dad did the same and thats what he had and thats what my doctor is ordering for me
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
Cti, Don Joy and Breg are the common braces. Generally you need a prescription to get one of those though as they are custom fit. You may be able to pick up something off the shelf as well from those manufacturers.
Old     (jc57)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-24-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
I tore my lateral meniscus on my (rt) knee twice. The second time, I was prescribed a professional knee brace made by DonJoy. They are great knee braces, but as M-Dizzle explained they do require a prescription (basically doctor's note) to get. Also the Donjoy brace costs approx. $1200-$1800. You do get to choose your own paint color scheme on the brace though. As for the others I have not tried them out.
Old     (eric_z)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-25-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
Just got fitted for my Don Joy. Insurance is covering the cost due to my ACL surgery. $1365 for the one that is made of alluminum alloy. I wanted the carbon fiber but it was going to cost me out of pocket. The Doc said the one I got will work great for everything I do.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-25-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
the GF's Don Joy is a POS!! She has already had to replace the straps, the pads are coming unglued, & she had to order a sleeve to keep it from coming undone while wakeboarding.... it held up ok last winter for snowboarding......and the custom fit was that the Dr. bent it by hand to fit her.

She is trying to get a CTi or an EVS Web through insurance...
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-25-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
CTI all the way. Steps above donjoy for sure

Sporting the CTI II myself. My Dr uses both company's as he likes one for certain things and one for the other. He did Jordan's knees along with a ton of other pro athletes. He also used to be the Olympic Basketabll team DR till this past Olypic team. Says for the hardcore activities, especially in water, the CTI is hands down better. The Donjoy excels in the comfort area so he uses them more for the "normal" people who run, play b-ball and things where the brace isn't pushed to its limits.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
Get a CTI...very water friendly and comfortable. Everyone I know that has had a donjoy were not happy with them or how they fit.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-25-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
I here this "insurance company will pay" comment all the time, but is that really the case? I can walk into my doctor and tell him my knees are f'd up (which they are) from a sport, and my insurance will cover it? Or is it more political than that? Is it better to leave the word "sport" out of it? Yes - its a blunt question, but we as athletes do this to ourselves - it just doesnt seem that an insurance company would eagerly cover this type of device if its us that cause the injury to ourselves.
I dont know, maybe Im over thinking it? Obviously it happens. (I know everyones insurance is different - just curious).
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-25-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Here - means Hear
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-25-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Has more to do with the DR recommendation then the insurance company (assuming your DR in in your Newtwork I use PPO but that still matters). All pollicy's are different so ask the DR. and then ask the company. Insurance companies are worse than the devil, but that is why you have insurance. A good DR on your side can get things done. Most of the time it all depends on the diagnosis
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-25-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
i tore my acl 6 months ago for something quick and easy to get that helps alot would be the evs brace at buywake.com its carbon fiber and keeps your knee perfectly in place with no possible way to screw it upi no longer ride with brace because i feel that my knee is completely recovered... but yea evs=good + good price
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-25-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
CTI is a great product, highly recommend it.

When I broke my knee and tore my PCL, the Dr. needed to get special permission from insurance company to pay for it. It was not as simple as writing a prescription.

Good Luck
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-25-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
hey man, check out the donjoy carbon fibre series for sure...so far no one in my family has seen any velcro degradation (which can suck when you are riding)and they are nice and light as well. my buddie has a CTI and he likes it alot too...just make sure to get that thing properly fitted
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
The newer CTI knee braces come with really cool anti-migration straps too. Anyone rocking an older brace should look into the new straps, they are 30 bucks.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 4:39 AM Reply   
You knee is NOT completely recovered after 6 months!
Old     (dillls)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
What brace do the pros ride? Parks, Randall, Harrington ??
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
CTI
Old     (brasilian)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-26-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
CTI Custom
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
"You knee is NOT completely recovered after 6 months!"

I agree with Mike. With surgery depending on which they use to replace your ACL The graft doesn't fully come around til about a year.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
I have a don joy defiance.

I hate it. takes forever to put on. constantly needs re-tightening/aligning.

and cost about $1,500

Its ok on land but is not very water friendly
Old     (dillls)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Here is a good link that informs why top pros ride a CTI.

http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=12668
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
Last time I was at the ortho they told me that the most recent studies showed that the Cadaver Allograph took closer to 18-24 mos for full grafting.

FYI: 6-12 mos is THE most dangerous time of knee rehab since it will feel okay but is not.