Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-09-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
I missed the x-games, but I read where shaun white was attempting a 1080 in skateboard vert and Sandro Dias did an ally-oop 900. It seems like the 1080 in wakeboarding is a little overdue.
Old    tige_kid            08-09-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
Shaun white never attemted a 1080 the biggest spin trick he did, I believe, was a 720.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-09-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
dude for 20 min all he did was try 1080's. He was close on a few.
Old    murrayair            08-09-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
Dias' 9 was awesome! What's the status of the 1080 in wakeboarding? I mean, Soven pretty much had it at the Double or Nothing contest and Harf was really close, too. That was like 4 months ago, and these guys ride every single day. You would think one of them would have landed one by now, especially with how all of them agree that it has been far too long since one has been landed.
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       08-09-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
its definitely time for another 1080 in wakeboarding. Its hard to believe its been 5 years since parks landed one and that no one has landed one since. im surprised that soven hasn't landed one yet after seeing him get so close at the double or nothing contest
Old    tige_kid            08-09-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
Ant bug my bad I shouldnt have said anything I forgot all about the best trick contest I was speaking on behalf of the first comp they did. My bad!!!
Old    aceofspades            08-09-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
Someone will land one soon. Soven just dropped the handle at the double or nothing contest. I think it will happen by the end of this season.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-09-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
does anyone take into consideration the probability that you will slam on that trick? Who goes out and tries something 30 times a day?... or even once a day, one good slam on one day could ruin your whole week of riding
or how about the fact that after you try and get close on something a few times or slam a few times you get pissed about falling and get kinda burnt out...(maybe these things only happen to me??)
just trying to remind that pros aren't super heroes, they feel pain as well as know pain... doesn't mean they dont want it
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-09-2005, 9:14 PM Reply   
Well I am nowhere near the level that the pros are. But I can spin a 9 off the wake (although I miss the last handle pass) and I am really close to ts 7s. I don't weight my ski boat nearly as much as them and I ride at 60ft. Knowing this, it seems like the pros who weight their v-drives with 3000+lbs, ride at 85+ft, and are hitting double ups as tall as me could at least do one more rotation for a 1080. But, just like duane says, you can get burnt out on a trick after one bad spill. When I go for 7s or 9s I normally rack my nuts pretty bad, but at least I go for 1 or 2 at the end of my set.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-10-2005, 6:42 AM Reply   
Mark Kenney landed a couple 1080's
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       08-10-2005, 6:59 AM Reply   
I disagree Duane. These guys are profesional riders. Like all professional athletes, they are paid to push it with maximum effort in order to keep the money coming in. I don't think the term "one good slam on one day could ruin your whole week of riding" applies to them. They ride every day, I remember reading a quote from Shane earlier this season that once it got warmer he would be trying them all day.

Point is, I don't think they aren't landing them because they're scared of getting hurt, I think it's just a damn hard trick.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-10-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
I agree with leo, I mean these guys are doing 9s w2w, grabbed 9s and switch 9s off the double up, you would think they could get another 180 in, go figure.
Old    tige_kid            08-10-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
Hyperlitenerd, Its not just another 180 they have today it is also another handle grab.IMO A 1080 and a 900 are nowhere near the same level of difficulty.
Old    pistol141            08-10-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
I would be willing to bet that there is a pro out there that has a 1080 down and can do it with their eyes closed. Waiting for the perfect moment to unleash it upon the world. Deeming themself the champion of spin. Any takers????
Old    murrayair            08-10-2005, 11:14 PM Reply   
I, like Jeff, wouldn't be suprised if a few of them have landed a 10 either. Maybe not with their eyes closed, but it's hard to believe that 4 months after Soven all but landed it that no one has been able to.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-10-2005, 11:16 PM Reply   
i spoke to harf, soven and sanders at the end of the xgames. harf said someone will land a 10 soon; he's close on one, as well as soven and a few others.
Old    skippy            08-11-2005, 5:03 AM Reply   
No professional athlete is paid to 'push it.'
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-12-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
I will have to disagree rammer
Pros are not paid to push it, they are paid to represent their company. So in a way if they are stomping 10s then yea thats good publicity for the company. However, pros are people too. I don't give a rats ass if you say you will try a single trick all day like shane said in the article or if someone says "someone will land a 10 soon". Since pros are paid to represent their company, then getting injured does not help their cause. I never said they were afraid of getting hurt, but tell me the last time you rung your bell real good, got the wind knocked outta ya etc and said screw it and 20 seconds later you tried the same trick, if you did more power to you but chances are you got into the boat, got a drink and took a breather like everyone else would do. If a football player sprains his ankle or pulls a muscle does he run himself into the ground for the sake of "pushing it" no, he gets better gets back out there...

Leo thats sic that you are close to 7s, but realistically, how hard is it to take a ts 5 to a ts 7? or for someone to go from knowing a simple t/s 180 and taking it to a 3, thats what these guys are trying to do, with massive handle passes and spinning realll fast. Looking at the sequences in Alliance I think harf is closer than Soven even tho soven came closer on the landing. Harf had more air and rotated slower, Soven seemed to whip it more and spin much harder. SO if harf ups his spin a hair I say hes got it. If soven ups his air, hes got it, either way I wanna see it.
I will offer one more arguement though before I am done, yes I am sure the pros want the 10 for personal reasons, but how many people get pissed when a friend in the boat says "Come one... just try it..." when you really don't feel like it, if you don't feel it, its not gonna happen, not saying they aren't feeling it, but I feel they should go at their own pace... which seems the way they are going and the 10 will happen in the next month or 2

point is... Pros are people too

(Message edited by wakebordr11 on August 12, 2005)
Old     (jwb)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-12-2005, 10:36 PM Reply   
its also all in the mind....i think i read that in a wakeboard mag article or alliance article awhile back.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-12-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
Whats the status on Matt Simms and his attempts, I thought he has landed a few but none on film.