Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2005, 7:38 PM Reply   
Alright so I have built housings for 6.5" tower speakers. Bt with all the work I have dome tom make the housings I want to make sure that the speaker that I use is worth the work. I have been thinking about the Infinity Kappa's either the 2way or 3way variety. I have not purchased yet but I am going to soon. I don't care about brand, I am not biased. I have heard the infinity's and I like them that is the only reason they are on the top of the list. Because of the design of the speaker cans I am limited only to 6.5" coaxial speakers. I have a JL 300/2 amp if that help any. I appreciate any imput. thnaks Preston
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-01-2005, 9:35 PM Reply   
The Kappa's are nice speakers but I don't think they have what it takes to be a "Tower" speaker. In order to achieve what you want, which is to have the rider hear your tunes, you have crank them up very loud with lots of power behind them. And the Infinities fall short in this area. Great sound, just not very clean when you stretch them to their limits.

Now I know that this will probably start a speaker war, but anyone who knows speakers in towers will agree.
I started with the Kappa's in my last boat. They were great! But I didn't have tower speakers. I personally went with Focal speakers. Everyone will give you what they like. Take the top 3-4 brands and models that is suggested on here, go listen to them, price them and make your own decision. Use us as a guide, not an answer.

And remember, listen to them cranked way way up with lots of power behind them. You don't judge a dragster by how it drives on the street, yet how it does on the strip at full throttle!

(Message edited by kraig on March 01, 2005)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-01-2005, 9:39 PM Reply   
might want to consider image dynamic chameloen's mounted in a coaxial set-up... they are state of the art without the price tag...

they will work well with the jl 300/2..
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-01-2005, 11:58 PM Reply   
Wakeside will have a marine version of the 6.5 inch Chameleon's in a few weeks. The main difference from the normal Chameleon is poly cone instead of carbon graphite. Should hold up much longer when they get wet periodically (can't avoid it every time). They will also include grills. The new part number will be CMS62 and CMS64. The marine version is exclusive to Skylon and Wakeside.com

These are the same mid-bass drivers found in the new Skylon Deafcon II and III Reference series. These are absolutely the best 6.5 inch marine speakers you can buy. They handle 150 watts RMS all day long (250 if the amp is clean enough). They have 1 1/2 inch voice coil and are designed for competition audio. They put out 91 dB sensitivity from 45 Hz to 25 kHz.