Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-24-2012, 7:42 PM Reply   
Used to ride LF Watsons CT, moved up a size, then down...too frustrated with the bruised toes so have ridden an open toe for 3 yrs.
Time to get a new pair. Want softer footbeds and possibly go back to CT.
So it you went from toe slammin to happy CT, let me what you ride.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
It's not the bindings....it's your technique. Learn how to take the trick straight up and back down. Sounds like you are landing too far on your hs edge, or on your butt. I did this on my crow until I finally learned how to properly do the trick, now i have no issues.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       02-24-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
Ronix boots have the most plush liners, and as long as they are sized right you don't suffer "toe crush". In my opinion, Ronix boots are the most comfortable boots on the market. My guess is the boots you had were a little too big and allowed your feet to slide around, which led to your toes slamming into the edge. If you have a local pro shop, go try a few one and see what fits your foot the best. I would highly recommend the Ronix Ones, but if you rode the Watsons the cell boot may be a good choice too.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-24-2012, 9:56 PM Reply   
No boots should do this unless they are too big/too loose. It's not a design issue. It's a fit issue.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-24-2012, 10:07 PM Reply   
Open toes help me!
Old     (Nick77)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-24-2012, 11:20 PM Reply   
It definately depends on your feet. I have the same problems both with wake and snow skiing. but i have really narrow feet. i'm a 10,5 and this year i used 8-9 Shane bindings. they were really nice but i could definately feel my toes sometimes. But as the other guys say. if i had gone bigger it would probably have been worse. the 2012 LF bindings are a little shorter, så i have to go up a size. But you can now take out the inner sole. Put in another sole under that. this will make the boot tighter but still keep the lenght for your foot.. i guess you can do i other brand bindings. I haven'd checked.
I can just say with my feet Ronix doesn't work at all.

Good luck.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-25-2012, 4:52 AM Reply   
1. By Ronix bindings.
2. Heat mould them
3. Go riding
4. Enjoy perfect fit and no slipping
5. Come back and be like "These are awesome!"
6. (optional) Treat yourself to a banana split because you made a good decision and banana splits are awesome
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       02-25-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
Haha couldn't have said it better myself!! Make sure you follow through with step 6.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            02-25-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
Funny...I had this issue with my first ever pair of bindings Ronix Kai (closed toe), have since had all closed toe '11 Sovens, '11 Watsons, '11 Ones, '12 Shanes and no issues since.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-25-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
I had 07 ronix cells and they were off the hook I never thought I would a boot as much as those. Then I got 09 slingshot d3s and I'm loving every moment of them. I have a few seasons on them and they hold up great. However I am switching the 2012 RAD this year. Stoked to check out the bottomless setup.

As far as toe slam I've never had an issue but I usually land on the tail or belly of the board.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-25-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
Ohh how I feel you on this one...
Before I rode Hyperlite I rode Ronix and (ONEs up thru 2010) and all and all were very comfortable but even heat molded was still jamming my toes every once in a while and hated that.
Fast forward a year and I'm riding Hyperlite and road Mareks last year and now the Murray's. Two years in them (mostly boat, but a good deal of cable and winch too) and not a toe jammed as of yet and love the bindings, the connection to the board, toe to heel response and most off all... Toes in tact!
Old     (andrewsnb)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-25-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
I bet you would really dig a pair of Ronix Kai's OT. They have a tonne of support and lots of the same high end features as their CT bindings .... (softer liners, FEET BELT, double pull laces, etc.) It's definitely my favourite pair of OT boots on the market! No toe bruising here! They also make the Kai's in a CT if you wanted though.

Check them out online HERE!

You might be able to get a pair of 2011 Boots depending on availability for some shops

Andrew
Shuswap Ski & Board
Facebook
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-26-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
toe slam is one of my greatest concerns as well. but i love the feel of closed toe boots and how i feel more a part of the board.

one of my toes in particular has a toe nail that grows with a funny curve ever since i dropped something on it. it is rather sensitive.

anyway, there are going to be many factors that play into toe-slam prevention. they have all been mentioned
* sizing (length)
* fit (width and height of inside of boot)
* padding (especially in the toe box)
* boot features (straps and laces and such designed to pull your heel back for example)
* how you ride and land your tricks

The first two are going to depend on YOUR feet. trying on a few boots in a store is the best thing to do.

Ronix has been mentioned several times. I also agree that ronix is a brand not to skip. year after year ronix has had more padding in the toe box than probably any other company. i have felt some boots that have no more padding in the toe box than an everyday shoe, but ronix has a good 1/2 inch i bet.

Personally I wear Slingshot RAD boots and would suggest slingshot too (2012 slingshot line would be ideal) they have a decent amount of padding and have heat moldable liners like ronix. slingshot liners are more friendly for heat molding at home though which is a nice perk.
*** ALSO I and my wakeboarding buddy wear thick neoprene socks inside our boots to add padding. another person mentioned adding an insole inside the boot. i have done that in the past too and that is something to consider as well, but i like my neo socks.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2012, 7:28 PM Reply   
I appreciate all of the responses. I ride a Slingshot and would like to try the bindings, but there are NO dealers in my area. It always seems that the bindings fit tight in the store. I guess I'll just have to try on alot.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-28-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9fxr View Post
Used to ride LF Watsons CT, moved up a size, then down...too frustrated with the bruised toes so have ridden an open toe for 3 yrs.
Time to get a new pair. Want softer footbeds and possibly go back to CT.
So it you went from toe slammin to happy CT, let me what you ride.
my obrien seekers are great i never jam my toes ever and they are super comfy.

if you want a simpler fix than buying new boots just wear socks
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-01-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
Slingshot! Running true to size this year. Shoe size = boot size. Last year ran big. 10 shoe = 9 boot

Buy them. Love them.