Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2011, 4:54 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 Escape LSV. The fuel filter gets clogged up about 2-3 hours into each run. I change the filter and it's ok for a few hours each time.

I did have the screen checked and cleaned.

I don't want to have to pull the tank, it's a big PITA!

I have owned the boat for about 9 years and take excellant care.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-15-2011, 11:53 PM Reply   
Sounds to me like you are picking up gunge from the tank. Could be anything from general grit to rubber parts breaking up inside the tank. You might get some idea by opening up your old filter and having a close look
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-15-2011, 11:55 PM Reply   
Forgot to also mention check your fuel lines as well, they could also be the problem.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-16-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
Where is the fuel filter on that boat?

If it's after the fuel lines I would strongly suspect the fuel lines as Paul suggested. I had some Sea Doos with the same issue. Brown/black sludge would build up on the filter in a matter of a couple of hours. It was due to age + ethanol fuel. The lines looked fine but they were decomposing from the interior. Changed them all out and it took a while to work the remaining trash out of the system but a few hours later the fuel system was clear.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-16-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
The Fuel filter is near the v-drive. I broke open one of the fuel filters, but saw nothing. I was hoping for some black hose crap or something. The only difference was that the filter was supper heavy as compared to the new one.

I was thinking that it may be the fuel lines. Guess that's the cheapest fix and can't hurt trying it.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-16-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
What about vapor lock? It seems odd that the problem would be happening now......If the fuel filter isn't showing any kind of debris.....it might have something to do with the time it takes to change out the filter. Just brainstorming here. This is a new problem? Since your last winterization? bad fuel? Water in the gas? fuel pressure falling? Do you have a filter in the carb (assuming it has a carb by the age of the boat)?
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-17-2011, 4:32 AM Reply   
This problem just started the end of last season before winterization. I was thinking bad fuel or water in the gas or the fuel lines. This boat is an efi though. Fuel pressure is fine