Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-12-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
Tim,

Problem not solved, it is still illegal in many states. Regardless if you have some chicken wire around the prop or not.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-12-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
Just for the record - I have surfed behind I/O and straight up Out Boards. It pretty much sucks - but I have the skills to not hit the prop.

Some times you don't have an inboard boatand you want to surf.

It is sort of 3rd world style - like riding a motorcross bike in Mexico with no helmet during busy traffic, riding in the back of a pickup truck with 10 other dudes on a dirt road in Coasta Rica, eating hot dogs from a street vendor in Tijuana, etc.

Selling an I/O as a surf boat is stupid/not right.

An excellent wake surfer riding behind an I/O - is sketchy - but not stupid. IMO
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-12-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
"Just for the record, I've seen Wakeboard Magazine and Alliance Magazine publish pictures of both amateurs and pro wakeboarders doing thing A LOT more dangerous and irresponsible than wake surfing behind an IO. Where’s all the public outrage towards them? Beside I thought wake sports were considered EXTREME sports."

We are not talking about what the Pros do. We are talking about what this company is advertising it ok to do, and arms and legs do not grow back. Try and keep up next time.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-12-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
its got bits of real panther in it

hilarious!
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-12-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
Dave, if you think an accident cant happen to you because you are just too good, you have got another thing coming. That is about the most foolish thing I have read so far in this thread.
Old     (the_duke)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-13-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
(Problem not solved, it is still illegal in many states. Regardless if you have some chicken wire around the prop or not.)

Mike, I wasn’t away that any state laws made a distinction between IO’s and inboards. If so, that would certainly make a difference. Can you supply us with which states and where we can find a copy of the laws. The inboard boat companies could sure use that information in there marketing.

(We are not talking about what the Pros do. We are talking about what this company is advertising it ok to do, and arms and legs do not grow back. Try and keep up next time.)

Craig, I didn’t just refer to Pro’s doing things that are dangerous and irresponsible. Go back and read it again. My point was, where are all the Wakeworld ethics police when it’s a more popular company or a magazine showing someone doing something stupid behind or in a boat? Those individuals who publish those pictures are advocating that it’s ok and part of the sport. And then some stupid 20-year-old kid that doesn’t have the skills like Dave (davomaddo) will go out and crack his skull trying it.
Try and keep up next time! (Just funning with you!)

The big issue is, where’s the personal responsibility. Don’t blame me just because I build a boat and someone riding behind it thinks its ok to fly off a damn or jump over a bolder that’s protruding from the water and then breaks his neck doing it.

Upload
Upload
Pictures courtesy of Alliance Magazine

I’ve been surfing and wake surfing longer than most of you have been alive. (Doesn’t mean I’m good) but I do believe that if I don’t have the skills to keep myself out of danger, I shouldn’t be surfing waves or boats that can kill or maim me. But that’s my decision; you can make your own decisions.

Here is one of Centurion's first boat that they marketed for Wake surfing! Not a bad wake! HOLD ON...WHAT THE HAY...THAT'S AN IO! Those stupid SOB's
http://waterskimag.com/article/Reviews/Ski-Centurion-Tsunami
Upload
Upload

Go out and have some fun!!
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-13-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
Tim,

I think that sequence of photos was done with a winch... not a boat...but I can't be positive.

If you want to talk about how a magazine takes photos of Pros doing "stupid" stuff and puts it in their magazine and therefore endorses it... that is one thing, fair enough. You might as well add TV shows like Jackass and movies like Thrillbillies into that conversation. All of those shows also have a warning message at the start telling viewers not to attempt anything they see.

Here is the difference, the wakeboarding magazines and the shows and movies are trying to entertain you, not trying to get you to mimic their behavior. They don't have the warning message at the start saying don't try these activities, and then proceed to go out and tell you to attempt everything that you see in the movie or show and tell you that it is safe.

Cigarette companies aren't allowed to say that tobacco causes cancer, and then tell you all the ways that cigarettes are good for your health.

Alcohol companies aren't allowed to say don't drink and drive, and then run commercials about how fun it is to drive 100 MPH after consumed 10 beers.

At the start of their ad, Chap says don't try these things, they are dangerous, and then they proceed to say that you can wakesurf behind that boat without even mentioning the dangers of hitting the prop. Can you see a parallel between the examples of the alcohol and tobacco example I used and the way Chap is marketing this boat?
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-13-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Thrillbillies!!!! lol!!

Is that actually a show!?
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-13-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
It is a show with Travis Pastrana and a bunch of other pro MX and bike guys. They are completely out of their minds. Check out this website.

www.nitrocircus.com
Old     (the_duke)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-13-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
rick (justcoz5)
Personal Quote: If you have drawn blood, you know it has been a good day

I was told by the Magazines that their job was to market our product and what they can do. I read magazines for the instructional and motivating value. Like reading Guitar Player magazine and wanting to play like Eddie VanHallen or Dirt Bike magazine to find out how Chad Read handles his bike in the whoops or over the triples.

I do have to admitted it, when I try to play like Eddie, I do end up with some real serious hand cramps.

And as you stated, they do have a disclaimer at the begging of their video.

It’s all about personal responsibility, unless you voted for Obama and you feel someone else should be responsible because you’re a dump ass.

NOW go out and have fun, I am!!
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-13-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
Tim,

I am glad you like my personal quote. Notice it doesn't say "never surf behind an I/O because it is super dangerous but because I want to sell a boat and make some money I think you should go ahead and try it...it sure is fun...oh and safe too."

I love how you only got that they put a disclaimer at the start of the video from my post. I believe it is a persons job to protect themselves and make wise decisions, but I don't believe it gives companies the right to market something that is potentially fatal as if it is totally safe.

I guess you think it would be alright for cigarette companies to market cigarettes as a healthy way to lose 10 pounds. Or firework manufacturers to make commercials to air during Saturday morning cartoons that tell 8 year old kids that fireworks are fun and safe and that they should go buy them and play with them in your backyard unsupervised. Gosh I guess the fact that I believe that companies have a responsibility to make a safe product for the things they promote them for means I voted for Obama... which I didn't.

Your an idiot dude.
Old     (the_duke)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-13-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
OUCH!!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-13-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Time out!

It's dumb ass not "dump ass".

And it's You're an idiot dude. Not "your".

OK, continue play.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-13-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
Sounds like Tim is a hard core chap salesman... Its all good we got it Tim we will go buy a chap and chap our head, arm or leg off while wakesurfing. This is completely redicilious go have FUN while having a 80+% of looseing a limb or worse yet your life. Man I just couldnt imagine having some of my unskilled friends waking surfing that close to the prop especially when I think how we sometimes get right to the back of the boats corner edge (we have an inboard)

(Message edited by canecorso on February 13, 2009)
Old     (the_duke)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-13-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
Double Ouch!! Delta that was absolutely perfect! I guess it only make sense, Barefooters ski fast so they must think even faster! You got my respect.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-13-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that Tim used to be the marketing manager at Centurion and the originator of the World Wakesurfing Championship.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-14-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
Show I think your right
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-14-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
I thought it was funny when Chap used the advertising slogan in WBM last year saying "We didn't invent the wakeboard boat, we just perfected it"

Now they have definitely committed marketing suicide.

I watched the first video and had to turn it off because it is just plain lame.

I wonder how many pros are holding there tongues right now?

Classic thread and well worth the read.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
Just wanted to add to Delta Glass's list. Loose or looser would be tennis shoes without laces. Lose or losing is what you can do with a limb in a prop or money in a bet.

Also, we need more people on youtube putting that jackass AusieMaid in his place about those Crapparalls.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
The boarish grammar on this website always makes me cringe but I usually bite my tongue.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-15-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
peoples need to be learned
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
I spend most of my time on orangebloods.com or hornfans.com. A large portion of the posters there are UT grads so you tend to see better grammar there. They actually go a bit overboard sometimes but it makes it damn near unbearable reading some of the threads here.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
wow...can I submit my posts to you guys and have you correct my grammar? It really hurts my feelings when people make fun of my grammatical mistakes...jeez
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-16-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
rick we'll do our best

from your profile:
ummm, my board is strait garbage, anyone have a hand me down

straight not "strait"

not trying to hurt your feelings.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-16-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^Hate N Pain....

um.....well, ....I think you meant "boorish".

Unless you meant folks who speak like wild pigs. Which I suppose could very well apply here.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-16-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Yes I did mean boorish. : ) You're are right though I think both can be applicable here on WW.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-16-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
I know....I felt some regret posting that...never want to second guess a fellow member of the "Spelling and Grammar Police".
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-16-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
Punctuation Police here...Meathead, the proper form of an ellipsis is "..." not "...." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis)

That being said, while there is a certain assumption of risk in all watersports (and copious disclaimers), any company that holds its product out/encourages consumers to engage in an inherently dangerous activity is unnecessarily exposing themselves to excessive liability. We've tried to tell the Chap guys, "its not the product, its that isolated irresponsible marketing" but if they don't want to hear it now, I'm sure "Lefty" and "Stumpy" will be more than willing to tell them whilst sitting in the witness stand.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-16-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
if we're being particular....it's x 2

(Message edited by salty87 on February 16, 2009)
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-16-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
^^^^Andy,

Good catch. When one stops learning, one stops living.

Nice use of "whilst" as well.

By the way, my Badge only reads Spelling and Grammar Police, so I shall defer to your authority in regards to punctuation.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-16-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
190 posts into a discussion posted by a troll trying to sell boats and we are discussing punctuation and word use so our readers can perceive our insightful posts with alacrity.
I have always been fascinated with the evolution of on-line chat. Should I mention something about Sanger's use of wood or picklefork designs?
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-16-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
Nah...the Sanger/Wood issue is too easy...let's debate how many regular posters can define 'alacrity" and use it in a sentence.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-16-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
Six, I think. We could also start a poll on who is still reading this thread and how many are wondering why it is still active.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
^^^

This thread and the Energizer Bunny have something in common.

Keeps going and going and going....
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-16-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Without checking the dictionary, I believe it means "a cheerful willingness" (at least one of the definitions, I learned the word from a David Brin novel). Now, let's see if I recall correctly. 'Brian set forth on the task of defining the word with alacrity.'
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-16-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
I had to look it up...but I'm a better man for it.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-16-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
amazing what one can learn on Wakeworld...it's always somethin'

expanding my vocabulary with words from alacrity to mooseknuckle
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-16-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
^^^^^^That made me laugh out loud!! I'll bet that you never thought you would hear those words in the same sentence hey Meathead?
Old     (nosebleed)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-16-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
Best thread ever... got to laugh at some lousy marketing... and now a grammar lesson. What's next an in depth discussion of the meaning of life!!???
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-16-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
Chap. made this video to cause a fit.... they win!

maybe they'll get the JD power too.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-17-2009, 6:16 AM Reply   
BOOMthe thread is dead