Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Can anyone tell me how big a differnece there is as far as wake performance between these two models I have it narrowed down to this model and it seems to be the best bet under 20000 except for maybe a 205 dd or a sunsetter. But can aynone who has ridden both lemme know? Pics would be awesome.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-18-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
Same hull as far as I know, depends on the year probably. Both V drive?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
The sport nautique and super sport are both the same hull just one is a direct drive and one is a vdrive. The super sport does have higher freeboard though. Weighted right they should throw a very similar wake but you will be able to hide almost all the weight in the super sport where the ballast will be all over the floor on the sport.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
See i didnt know I have a friend that has a 205 dd and another that has a 205v and the wakes are very different even though they are weighted very similarly
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
what year is the 205? 1995 and on the 205 is the same hull as the 205V. Again they should have an identical wake when the weight is placed in the right places.

Also I think the Sunsetter LX may be a really good option. It looks like the seat lifts up so you can put a big bag under it and the boat is bigger, deeper and has more storage then the 205 or sport nautique. I would lean towards a vdrive of any of these hulls if you can find one though.

Oh yeah, if you look at a sunsetter look at the LX not the LXI. The LXI has the crossover diamond hull.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2009, 11:16 PM Reply   
Yea i just know that the vdrive models usually throw a little steeper wake becuz the weight of the motor is further back it just seems like it would be really hard to get the weight the same because the motor is so heavy.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-19-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
I just sold a '95 sport and upgraded to an '03 SAN (Same as Super Sport). The SAN w/ Stock ballast plus some weight in the nose (1000 lbs total) throws a similar wake to my old sport with 2300 lbs in it. If you can cop an old super sport do it. You'll be happier with the wake and the V-drive setup gives you much more room. You'll always be stepping on sacks if you properly slam the dd. Not the case with the V-drive.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-19-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
Another note: I test drove and rode behind a '95 super sport with no ballast and 4 people in the boat... the wake was definately bigger and firmer than my '95 sport with no ballast.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       08-19-2009, 12:19 PM Reply   
ant pics of your wake?
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-19-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
You can get the sport as steep as you want, just put a fat seat or launch pad sofa in place of the back. The extra room in the V-drive super sport is well worth the extra cash you will pay for it. In my old Sport we had launch pad sofa in the back, sac in the ski locker, sac in the walkway, sac under the passenger seat and the wake was awesome. Just no room whatsoever. If you are going to be wakeboarding more than 50-60% with a crew of more than 2-3, go with the V-drive, no question.