Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-18-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
We just dropped our x-star in at Renton Airport this afternoon, she started up first try and ran awesome . I have a couple questions though. So we get in and I turn the tunes on, and I'm only getting sound from the tower speakers. There was no sound from the inside speakers. I tried messing with the fade but it didnt do anything not really sure what it could be besides the dealer unplugged it for some reason and never plugged it back in, they did that with our tower speakers last time they had the boat. Alsooo, when i pulled into the marina i turned the music down, and the sub wasnt bumping it was making a distorted sound when it should bump a little bit. Could it be that the music is so low that it isnt enough power to make it bump? i think i had the vol up to mid or high teens and it still did it. Other then that it did great, tower braces will be on soon when Darren can do them. Darren you gotta help me out in talkin my dad into a ws-420 and some pro 80's. My good reasoning for a 420 is so when we are in the bay we can take it off the tower, and when we are riding we can put it on only the tower so we dont loose our hearing lol. Any other good ideas would be awesome. I also wanna get rid of that peista**** sub, it started sounding like crap at like vol 22 or 23 lol.
Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-18-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
turn the bass all thw way down on the sub so it doesnt crack when u turn the volume high
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-18-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
Yeah i do that, I put the sub at 0 when i have the volume up so it doesnt sound like crap, but then u barely have any bass, it sux, i want a 12w7 or somethin.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-18-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
Skip the JL. Talk to Shane at sigmodes.com He knows what he is doing. Get yourself an Image Dynamics sub.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-18-2008, 10:13 PM Reply   
Hey brett, Yeah i got a 20% discount at sigmodes at the boat show from the WS booth. Thats really weird I was just thinking about image dynamics, no one really knows about them but their supposed to be better then JL's. They would be fine in the boat? could one go in the stock sub spot? ive also seen that used as a vent for a sub under that seat. They are also cheaper then the w7's.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-19-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
something else to check is that they didn't get the sub and cockpit speaker inputs reversed. If they did then your sub is trying to play full range and the regular ones would be trying to do the subs job and may very well give you the symptoms your describing.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Yeah if that can make the sub do it then i bet they did, to be honest I'm so fed up with copes in renton, they have screwed up so many times with our boat, and their customer care just isnt there. My dad was there the other day because he got sick of waiting for the boat. He shows up and asks them if the boat is done, they search through some papers for a little bit and eventually find it and say oh... its been done. No one ever bothered called to say it was done. My dad had some questions that needed to be addressed and him and the sales guy were talking about it, and some girl walks in and he completely drops my dad and helps out the girl. I bet they did switch the inputs, they gave us the boat back once after forgetting to plug the 2 middle tower speakers in, and the guy got in a huge argument with me about how i twisted the speakers too much when i only twisted them 180 degrees. They just seem to not really care about their customers. The good guys are the guys at Seattle boat in Issaquah, they help out no matter what, Darren has made a couple personal meets to help us out with the boat. And Brett I'm not sure where you work but youve always helped me with probs here on WW.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-21-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
Holy hell i just stopped by Car Audio systems unlimited in belleuve, and talked to the guy about image dynamics and he showed me his 240zx with 2 15 image dynamics which are 8 years old, and im pretty sure my heart skipped a couple beats, i still have chest pain from that car. I was speechless when i got outta the car, I have never felt that kind of pressure on my whole body, those 8 year old image dynamics, which arent the idmaxs', make a jl w7 look like a piece of junk, i am blown away at the sql of those things, definitely gonna get one in the boat and in my car.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-21-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
don't compare car audio sounds to a boat... much different... trust me....

Simple system.... one amp... amazing sound....

my 07 GTI has DLS 6.3i ultimate 3 way components with custom mouted tweeters in the factory position. Arc/Image Dynamic 12" IDQ sub in a sealed box running an ARC audio 4150 CXL amp with remote bass control.

Boat requires 3-4 times the power, bass will never be so good... and if you have lots of bass in a boat you will get rattles and pissed off boaters.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-21-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
Im not comparing it to being in a car or a boat, im just saying its an amazing sub, ive heard a 12w7 in a car and these 2 image dynamic 15's in a car, and the image dynamics are much crisper and just have wayy better sql. And yeah i know its way harder to get good bass on a boat then a car, I'm just sayin Image Dynamics are amazing, personally i think their much better then JL. The ones i heard were 8 years old, and they werent the top model, i cant imagine what the IDMAX sounds like. I think JL rides on their rep a little. Their def awesome, but are overpriced and take more power to sound good then a ID. 1000w to an IDMAX=1600w to a w7 give or take a little.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-22-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
IDMAX has a crazy xmax rating... isn't the excusion like 3" total?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-22-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
Im not sure greg, what I thought i remembered hearing was that it doesn't have more xmax then a w7 but the magnet is way closer to the coil? is that right, i don't know my sub terminology very well but that was a huge thing the guy said among many others. He said the w7 coils overheat way easier and quicker then the image dynamics coils, again i dont know if it was the coil, pretty sure it was though. He pulled out an audio mag and showed me numerous quotes from a very high respected audio guy saying that its the best sub you can buy, way better than a dub7 and has the best sql hes ever heard.